Strange interaction at Gunrunner 101 in Amherst, NH

I guess we will just disagree on used guns.

As far as I'm concerned when a FFL puts a gun out for sale as New it isn't from some collection he bought.

I'll go out on a limb and say Shooters, Riley, 619 DW or Merrimack Firearms would not do that

Used sticker on it and maybe say unfired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hell once I bought a brand new HK 91 that was packed full of red primer paint wnen i got home. In the days following Sandy Hook I bought my wife a brand new Sig p232 for big money as xmas present. Gun must have seen a hundred rounds easy. Had sand in the mag well even. Was looking at a brand new .380 at Rileys gun and barrel was filthy but was informed this is common because they test at factory...

Guns and cars have a couple things in common. They can both harm and are often sold by dirtbags...

A gun shop owner against Constitutional Carry? Doesn't sound like a friend of freedom to me.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and we are entitled to frequent and support shops that support liberty. Even if it costs us a few extra bucks.

But if the gun had an owner even if he left the store went to his car and right back in to return it that gun can no longer be sold as new.
Actuallt I'll back pedal a little and say that is the case with every retail business. Not sure if guns are handled different.

Where did you come up with that nonsense. Go buy damn near anything at walmart or academy sports and return it. They will check to make sure everything is in the package, then put it back on the shelf at full price and w/ no sign, notice or anything else that implies it was ever owned. For that matter socks, underwear and bras are the only clothing items are are claimed out rather than put back on the rack. Otherwise you can buy a pair of pants, a jacket, whatever, without any indication that some fat-ass spent a few days sweating their bacon grease into it.

There are limits on what food items walmart will allow you to return and most if not all of it gets claimed out. Neither store will accept firearm returns for any reason. Academy will process service requirements on the Yildiz brand shotguns because they are a house brand, but still won't accept any returns. All firearm sales are final.

None of this is theory or speculation, I have worked in management for both companies.

Actually I've never had a C&R denied before at all.
I have, but it was because the LGS owner didn't know what C&R means (he thought it had to be over 100 years old), and didn't care to learn. Nice folks with great prices and I did a lot of business there, and I wound up with a rifle that I wanted at a very good price.

But before checking out, I told him that I'd need his FFL number, because whether he thought it was C&R or not, I knew that it was, so I would have to enter it into my bound book. He scratched his head but just gave me a copy of his license.

Agree 100% about Sportsman Trader, the owner is a slug and should be out of business. But I have to disagree with the comparison. I have shopped and purchased supplies and Firearms at GR101. Owner has always been fair to me as a customer and works with you if you visit the store more than once. Like anything else its relationship based, if your looking for the best price as a first time walk-in... get real. Ive purchased at all the local shops, shooters, Riley, Merrimack, old glory and even Milford, all decent guys making a living. Highest priced is old glory by far... but in house gun smith and standing behind the product can be worth the premium sometimes. Support the locals unless they truly suc... just my opinion of course but this is not the case with most of the local dealers

GR101 is worth a visit if you are in the area

I have shopped and purchased supplies and Firearms at GR101. Owner has always been fair to me as a customer and works with you if you visit the store more than once.
I stopped back in at Gunrunners 101 earlier this month, Bob was his usual gruff self, not unfriendly but not exactly overly welcoming.

In my experience, GR101's prices on firearms are reasonable, he sometimes has guns that I haven't been able to find in stock elsewhere.

No actually that is not the case. That is like new.
But if the gun had an owner even if he left the store went to his car and right back in to return it that gun can no longer be sold as new.
Actuallt I'll back pedal a little and say that is the case with every retail business. Not sure if guns are handled different.
It is very common for retail businesses to put unused returned merchandise back on the shelves as new.

This can account for the fixtures I have bought at Lowes that have paint or plumber's putty on them, and are missing original packaging and parts.

ah, lowes...best return policy in the business. see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil and return to stock.

It is very common for retail businesses to put unused returned merchandise back on the shelves as new.

This can account for the fixtures I have bought at Lowes that have paint or plumber's putty on them, and are missing original packaging and parts.

Bought a sump pump at Home Depot once that was "new"...was still somewhat wet and had rust on it when opened. Someone obviously bought it to do one job then returned it. HD actually put it back on the shelf taped up as new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped back in at Gunrunners 101 earlier this month, Bob was his usual gruff self, not unfriendly but not exactly overly welcoming.

In my experience, GR101's prices on firearms are reasonable, he sometimes has guns that I haven't been able to find in stock elsewhere.

FWIW, I've mentioned this on here before:

Bob has admittedly stated that he has an inability to be able to do 2 things at once. It is not a common type of a trait that a lot of people have, but is instead a more serious problem that he has. Like his mind simply cannot function that way, and it can cause people to take his lack of attention in the wrong manner.

So if he is working on a gun-transfer, logging in inventory, or something else, he cannot simply "switch off", and start doing something else, like other people can.

Admittedly, this is obviously not a good problem to have in any kind of work, and its a definitely a major deficiency in any "retail" and "service" oriented business.

Last edited:
I think this thread is a bit rough on Gunrunners. I live a few miles away and have the exact opposite experience - in fact all of my experiences have been positive.

He is running a family business - he, his wife, and his daughter have been friendly.

He works with you on the price. I've actually gotten much better prices from Gunrunners on a recent Colt and Ruger than I could at places like Merrimack Firearms. I didn't even need a price print out - gave him the model number and told I saw it for X on Buds. We typically settle for a price about $40 more than Buds.

I've also needed odd ball ammo at the last minute on the way to the range. I've had MA friends with me at the time - every one was great and friendly. He has also had the odd ball ammo in stock, which was really nice. I was looking for 44 SPL cowboy loads to teach a few friends about wheel guns. It can be difficult to find - he has had it on hand every time I've needed it.

Anyway, the OP presents one side of the story - I believe the situation could have even happened as described. With that said, the owner of Gunrunners may not be polished but he is decent and he runs a good shop.

Bought a sump pump at Home Depot once that was "new"...was still somewhat wet and had rust on it when opened. Someone obviously bought it to do one job then returned it. HD actually put it back on the shelf taped up as new!
I have had this happen with both lighting and plumbing fixtures at Home Depot and Lowes. When I return something for this reason, I always bury a note deep in with the product that tells the new buyer that it was returned because it was already sold once as new when it was not - and they are getting it doubly used.

I think this thread is a bit rough on Gunrunners. I live a few miles away and have the exact opposite experience - in fact all of my experiences have been positive.

He is running a family business - he, his wife, and his daughter have been friendly.

He works with you on the price. I've actually gotten much better prices from Gunrunners on a recent Colt and Ruger than I could at places like Merrimack Firearms. I didn't even need a price print out - gave him the model number and told I saw it for X on Buds. We typically settle for a price about $40 more than Buds.

I've also needed odd ball ammo at the last minute on the way to the range. I've had MA friends with me at the time - every one was great and friendly. He has also had the odd ball ammo in stock, which was really nice. I was looking for 44 SPL cowboy loads to teach a few friends about wheel guns. It can be difficult to find - he has had it on hand every time I've needed it.

Anyway, the OP presents one side of the story - I believe the situation could have even happened as described. With that said, the owner of Gunrunners may not be polished but he is decent and he runs a good shop.

The OP didn't say the place was overpriced. He said:

OK so he doesn't want to take my C&R and then he states that most gun stores will not take it in NH. Thinking we were just have a conversation I indicated that I had bought C&R at many stores in NH and named a few. He said that wasn't true.

He essentially (actually?) called the OP a liar. How exactly do you justify that?

even though the prices seemed a little high compared to other stores in the are.

Been in there once and saw how much higher their prices were compared to other shops in southern NH and haven't been back.

Um, he and others did say that. I could have added more quotes, but why bother...

He essentially (actually?) called the OP a liar. How exactly do you justify that?

The owner expressed himself in a poor way - I'm not going to try to justify what was said. The OP is also a guy from MA trying to purchase in NH. Granted he has C&R, but owner didn't want to accept it - seems like that is the owners choice to me. Gunrunners is also fairly Rt3 & MA accessible, it also wouldn't shock me if people have tried to screw the owner in various ways.

Um, he and others did say that. I could have added more quotes, but why bother...

The owner expressed himself in a poor way - I'm not going to try to justify what was said. The OP is also a guy from MA trying to purchase in NH. Granted he has C&R, but owner didn't want to accept it - seems like that is the owners choice to me. Gunrunners is also fairly Rt3 & MA accessible, it also wouldn't shock me if people have tried to screw the owner in various ways.

I'm talking the OP, and he wasn't complaining about the prices. That was a passing comment.

OP said, "I've done this before. Other gunstores in NH have accepted my C&R."
Guy at Gunrunners said "That's not true." IOW, "you're lying."

Convo's over at that point. No amount of apologist weasel words excuses this. It's a dick move, plain and simple. Too many good gunstores to accept dick moves.

The issue for me is that he effectively called the OP a liar and made up bullshit to justify not making the sale, likely thinking he'd just go away. If he had simply said "I don't know you and I don't want to complete the sale", I probably still wouldn't go there, but I would at least respect him a little for being honest.

The issue for me is that he effectively called the OP a liar and made up bullshit to justify not making the sale, likely thinking he'd just go away. If he had simply said "I don't know you and I don't want to complete the sale", I probably still wouldn't go there, but I would at least respect him a little for being honest.

Beyond handling the situation poorly, what is honesty? The owner had an issue with accepting the OPs C&R and said no. The OP is unhappy about it. We have no idea what lead the owner to say no to business, and I'm sure sales help him the bills. So we are left with does a business owner have the right to turn away business if they choose. I think they do. Other potential patrons also have the right not to go to the store. All of that in mind, I think after 10-11 pages, this thread is rough on the owner. If you're looking for a consistently polished experience goto a big store - the little guys trying to make ends meet are typically rough around the edges.

I goto a gun shop for two reasons price and selection - in that order. I can typically get better prices from smaller shops. The owners doesn't need every penny to pay for a race car. Some shops play ball and others don't. Gunrunners plays ball. When I need selection or the item instantly, I go to a place like Shooters Outpost and I expect a different experience at big shops.

But really, who gives a shit? If another guys rough edges offend you that bad, you might be a snowflake. If you want a good price, laugh at the SOB and move on.

Beyond handling the situation poorly, what is honesty? The owner had an issue with accepting the OPs C&R and said no. The OP is unhappy about it. We have no idea what lead the owner to say no to business, and I'm sure sales help him the bills. So we are left with does a business owner have the right to turn away business if they choose. I think they do. Other potential patrons also have the right not to go to the store. All of that in mind, I think after 10-11 pages, this thread is rough on the owner. If you're looking for a consistently polished experience goto a big store - the little guys trying to make ends meet are typically rough around the edges.

I goto a gun shop for two reasons price and selection - in that order. I can typically get better prices from smaller shops. The owners doesn't need every penny to pay for a race car. Some shops play ball and others don't. Gunrunners plays ball. When I need selection or the item instantly, I go to a place like Shooters Outpost and I expect a different experience at big shops.

But really, who gives a shit? If another guys rough edges offend you that bad, you might be a snowflake. If you want a good price, laugh at the SOB and move on.

Honestly? You lost me at "what is honesty?" It's not lying

Jesus, are you on his payroll? "What is honesty?" Is that what you said?

You seem to deliberately misconstrue the facts, and the OP's complaint. Everybody agrees a store owner can decide to accept or not accept a C&R. No one is complaining about that. The owner called the OP a liar to his face.

Please start your next post with "It's OK to call the customer a liar because....." and complete the sentence. Anything else is you trying to obscure the argument.

Jesus, are you on his payroll? "What is honesty?" Is that what you said?

You seem to deliberately misconstrue the facts, and the OP's complaint. Everybody agrees a store owner can decide to accept or not accept a C&R. No one is complaining about that. The owner called the OP a liar to his face.

Please start your next post with "It's OK to call the customer a liar because....." and complete the sentence. Anything else is you trying to obscure the argument.

Sure - what has lead him to question the validity of a C&R? This event could be before the OPs interaction. Also, nope - not on his payroll, but he was decent to me the few times I've been in. I also purchased what I was looking for at a reasonable price. Also, I'm not saying the owners interaction was correct - just saying this thread is overly rough on him.

Sure - what has lead him to question the validity of a C&R? This event could be before the OPs interaction. Also, nope - not on his payroll, but he was decent to me the few times I've been in. I also purchased what I was looking for at a reasonable price. Also, I'm not saying the owners interaction was correct - just saying this thread is overly rough on him.

For many years KTP would not take a C&R FFL. They do now however. I recall that when Lew Horton had the retail store that I was told that they wouldn't accept a C&R FFL either.

It's not uncommon for some FFLs to refuse C&R FFL sales. But the smartest thing such a dealer could say would simply explain that it is company policy not to accept them, not to make up any BS reasons.

For many years KTP would not take a C&R FFL. They do now however. I recall that when Lew Horton had the retail store that I was told that they wouldn't accept a C&R FFL either.

It's not uncommon for some FFLs to refuse C&R FFL sales. But the smartest thing such a dealer could say would simply explain that it is company policy not to accept them, not to make up any BS reasons.

Lew Horton's ads have always said they don't accept any CRFFLs. Oh, well... I ran into lots of dealers who either had the same policy, didn't know what it was, or were horribly mistaken about what qualified as C&R. If the price was right for the circumstances, I either bought it through 4473 and then logged it by name and address (their ignorance is no excuse for the CRFFL not following the law), or I didn't buy.

Then again, none of those dealers ever called me a liar. That would have spun me on my heel.

Then again, none of those dealers ever called me a liar. That would have spun me on my heel.

Ok. So If you're saying you would bail from the shop - sure, I get that. Actually it makes sense since the owner of the shop just said he doesn't want to do business with you...

If you're saying you would be really pissed - why let some that doesn't know you screw with being happy?

probably sees the future of his store now that Output has a location up the road.

Unfortunately, they both suck ass.

wont except your FFL but "we" will blindly accept his. I dont get it ?
O well my Traveling days bouncing around to new shops was over years ago. If I get out with any cash in hand im off to P&P ....pretty sure he likes the C&R

Back
Top Bottom