• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Strange Dick's Sporting Goods Incident and Store Policy

It's a box store. The clerk "was only doing his job.". "It was a terrible mistake" for them to give you that much BS.

-Mike

I've had good experiences with the Dick's store in Millbury buying ammo and hunting & fishing stuff.

Sorry to read of the "hard sell" you got on the rewards card. I think if I was in that situation I'd contact the regional manager and complain. But then again, I have the rewards card.... YMMV

I used to work at Best Buy and around the holidays there is a big push from corporate to have customers sign up for the free and not so free things that the store offers. The store managers get bonuses based on how many are signed up and even the sales associates get bonuses from that. I assume Dicks is the same.

why do people buy guns at dicks? [rofl]

93r17btvs.png

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17BTVS

I got that gun, which came with stainless scope bases already attached and a 3-9x40 scope with rings. All for $299. Plus they had it in stock, so no shipping or waiting or anything.

I also got a Savage 220F at Dick's previously, the only place I've ever seen carry it, along with a nicer Ruger 10/22T. Sometimes they have nicer rifles, in stock, and at decent prices.

Last edited:
If corporate America ends up causing the extinction of the local gun shop, this is what will happen. They will make up their own rules and policies for buying guns and ammunition. If the guv' doesn't screw up the 2A corporate America surely will. I don't care how much money you saved, the cost of buying guns and ammunition at Dicks or Wallyworld or any other such place is too high. Support the little guy. Before its too late.

If corporate America ends up causing the extinction of the local gun shop, this is what will happen. They will make up their own rules and policies for buying guns and ammunition. If the guv' doesn't screw up the 2A corporate America surely will. I don't care how much money you saved, the cost of buying guns and ammunition at Dicks or Wallyworld or any other such place is too high. Support the little guy. Before its too late.

Not this again..

If you look at what "Bob's gun store" sells and what Dicks and the other big box stores sell, they probably only compete on like 20% of their items directly. With the exception of Walmart, and maybe an occasional sale at Cabelas, most of the box store ammo prices are off the top over the wall worse.

The reality is that the box stores and the real gun shops serve two entirely different sets of needs. Smart gun shop owners aren't threatened by box stores at all. I know a few different FFLs, and none of them have ever pissed and moaned to me about "how much business dicks was taking away" or anything like that.

-Mike

You think capitalism is bad?

No, but apparently you have a problem with it. Generally, "Corporate America" starts out as a "little guy" with the business model, dream, vision and balls to become "Corporate America"... Dick Stack started out in a little shack of a store in New York and had whatever it took to make it into a profitable business. So should we punish him, Sam Walton, Dave Thomas, Charles Walgreen and a cast of others who worked hard, planned and risked?

Not what again? Oh what ever. I don't have time for people like you. Corporate America is on our side, right? They are our buddies, right? YOU go ahead and shop there all you want.

This forum, more and more, seems awfully intolerant. Even moderators. Those with different opinions ought to just shut up, is that how it is around here? Why don't you go pound sand?

PS Sam walton is dead.

Last edited:
Oh what ever. I don't have time for people like you.

That's what I figured...Someone posts a valid argument and you wilt.

ETA: The "support the little guy, down with big box" is so overdone. I was personally against Wal mart and Home Depot opening up for a lot of the same reasons. I foolishly thought: "But the "little guy will go out of business". Guess what happened? Those with the business model and drive to say open - still are. This, despite big bad Wal Mart and Home Depot. It's called capitalism. Perhaps you should read up on it....

Last edited:
F#ck a card ... I'm sick every store having a tracking card and tired of making up fake phone numbers. I applaud your actions. More importantly what rifle did you get? You said special ammo ... Marlin lever? Don't make us go hunting for the Dec acquisition thread.

F#ck a card ... I'm sick every store having a tracking card and tired of making up fake phone numbers. I applaud your actions. More importantly what rifle did you get? You said special ammo ... Marlin lever? Don't make us go hunting for the Dec acquisition thread.

See post #34 the picture in the link is showing up intermittently in that message for me.

Not what again? Oh what ever. I don't have time for people like you. Corporate America is on our side, right? They are our buddies, right? YOU go ahead and shop there all you want.

To help qualify my viewpoint a bit: I haven't bought a single gun at a box store. Ever. Never even contemplated it. In the future I might buy one, but only if they have what I want, and if anything, only because I know someone that works at a box store that I would actually feel comfortable dealing with. (Who, btw, is the other fellow you're bickering with in this thread. )

This forum, more and more, seems awfully intolerant. Even moderators. Those with different opinions ought to just shut up, is that how it is around here? Why don't you go pound sand?

I apologize for my tone, but it seems like every 5 minutes someone is dragging out this tired old canard- that we have to support local shops all the time or they will die. [thinking]

Local gun shops, at least the ones that have their heads screwed on straight, are doing just fine. I guess I just fail to see, at least in the northeast, how box stores are a serious threat to halfway decent gun shops. To me that's like saying that Cumberland Farms is going to put Market Basket out of business. Crappy analogy, but its pretty clear to me that box stores and real gun stores serve two very different market segments. I'm not a business/economy/finance wizard by any stretch of the imagination but even an idiot like myself can see that these two groups of entities don't compete directly with one another. Hell, as Massmark will likely attest to, sometimes they even send customers to one another.

While were at it, are you going to crap on all the small gun shops that do inbound internet transfers? After all, they're 'traitors" too, because they're preventing some "local gun shop" from making money off the sale? [laugh]

PS Sam walton is dead.

That has what to do with the price of tea in china? [rofl]

-Mike

Local gun shops, at least the ones that have their heads screwed on straight, are doing just fine.

"Gun Shop" is one of the few small retail business where the proprietor does not have to worry about the big box stores selling the same stuff cheaper - often offering it to the public at what amounts to wholesale to the independent. And then there's the relative lack of mail order competition - there is a huge amount of stuff that is either regulated to it cannot be mail ordered without a shop's transfer services, or small high profit items (supplies and accessories) that are not always worth mail ordering.

Compare this to the plight of a small independent camera, computer or television shop. They are relatively non-existent, generally catering only to the segment of the market that requires extra services.

Just take a walk through all the departments at Dicks or WalMart and ask "Can an independent shop out do this store on these items on price and selection?". You may find that the answer is "Yes" only in the gun section.

Good for you.

Personally, I signed up and get a nice Dick's certificate in the mail every time I spend another 300 there.

I've never had a problem with the Dick's in Leominster. My purchases there have always been smooth and uneventful. One of the guys who works in the Lodge department is actually a member here, and a pretty good dude.
It all depends on who you get, really.

+1 The guy with big ear rings!! He's helped me out when looking for ammo by calling the local stores and hookin' a fellow NES'er out!! Anyway, I personally think the folks at Dick's that are saying its "store policy" are simply following the latest TPS report.

PS Sam walton is dead.

You sound bitter. Clinging to something out in the woods?

I'm not really in the mood to read all 6 pages of this thread, but why wouldn't you want the SCORE card? I saw a couple replies on the first page about it, but if you spent $600 on a firearm, that's a $20 gift card, for free which translates to two boxes of ammo or a Christmas present for someone else. Not to mention, all the Lodge coupons you get. Seems like no brainer to me.

As for all these threads about "i'm not giving my name, address, phone, etc." Hate to break it to you, it's out their already somewhere in cyberspace. If someone wants to find you, they will. If they want to come for your firearms, let them come, but rest assured I'll be shooting with my free ammo from Dick's.

ammo is never cheap there..

actually with coupons and rewards, you can rack up pretty nice once in a while.

i.e. 1k of brass cased 9mm for like $160 wasn't bad when you could find it... [wink] but that was before the scare / price hikes. the only thing close to that was Blazer Aluminum

The only time it's competitive to buy ammo there is during sales - especially if you have ScoprePoints. Black Friday and a few other times during the year, the "Buy One Get One 50% Off" sale is a good time to stock up. For example, on Black Friday, 9mm was selling for $8.98 a box.

The only time it's competitive to buy ammo there is during sales - especially if you have ScoprePoints. Black Friday and a few other times during the year, the "Buy One Get One 50% Off" sale is a good time to stock up. For example, on Black Friday, 9mm was selling for $8.98 a box.

You're a real Dick's fanboy in all these threads. You must work for them or something. [laugh]

actually with coupons and rewards, you can rack up pretty nice once in a while.

i.e. 1k of brass cased 9mm for like $160 wasn't bad when you could find it... [wink] but that was before the scare / price hikes. the only thing close to that was Blazer Aluminum

Doesn't it depend on the cashier you get? [pot] [rofl]

-Mike

Doesn't it depend on the cashier you get? [pot] [rofl]

-Mike

You can say that again [laugh]

Personally, like I said...I think they call it "Dicks" for a reason. I hate shopping there, and my reasons are perhaps caused by the corporations size, but its not "because its a big box store". Their policies are lame, prices aren't always that good, and it's damn near impossible to get an associate half the time. I would much rather spend an extra $20 on a 10/22 at the local momnpop then step foot in Dicks.

Now, if the Dick's in Millbury was a BassPro...I'd be there every day of the week [smile] As it is, though....driving to Foxboro just sucks too much to do it regularly.

You can say that again [laugh]

Personally, like I said...I think they call it "Dicks" for a reason. I hate shopping there, and my reasons are perhaps caused by the corporations size, but its not "because its a big box store". Their policies are lame, prices aren't always that good, and it's damn near impossible to get an associate half the time. I would much rather spend an extra $20 on a 10/22 at the local momnpop then step foot in Dicks.

Now, if the Dick's in Millbury was a BassPro...I'd be there every day of the week [smile] As it is, though....driving to Foxboro just sucks too much to do it regularly.

See this makes NO SENSE at all. I live near Bass Pro. Bass Pro is consistently overpriced on everything. And I mean firearms, hunting clothes. I find products at Bass Pro, then buy them for half price online off of Cabelas, or I get them for far far less at Dick's. I don't know what planet you live on, but prices at Bass Pro are an utter joke. Not to mention, the people that work there, not all, but many, have no clue. I watched one guy recommend a 300WSM as the perfect starter rifle to a mom with her 90 lb son trying to pick out a first rifle. I almost busted a gut. The selection of rifles at Bass Pro is also pretty limited, they just don't have the selection or the "nicer" models.

Dick's consistently has nicer models, with a larger range on the more unusual calibers and configurations. Dick's also has much better sale and clearance pricing on items. Bass Pro does have a better selection on certain things, like muzzleloading or archery supplies, or camo clothing. But it definitely isn't cheaper, so sometimes you go there and suck it up because you can find what you need.

I'm an informed consumer. I go to Bass Pro when I need something right away and I know they have it. I go to Dick's when I know they have an insane price on something. I go online when I can't find it or I don't want to get killed at either one of the stores. I definitely go to wherever the price is the best, or the convenience is the best. If a local mom and pop sells it for less or less hassle, I'll go there too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom