• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Story of self defense

richc

NES Member
Not my story... borrowed from www.thefiringline.com.

Good story, and shows the benefits of CCW.

Rich

My family has had a lake house since I was a kid. We have had the same neighbor for 30 years up there and are obviously good friends. The cove we are in has about 40 houses on a dirt road and surrounded by mountains.

My neighbor walks the logging roads in the morning to stay in shape. Well he was on his morning walk about 2 miles down an old logging road in the middle of nowhere when he came upon an old beat up truck. He kept walking by it bc he thought it was abandoned. Suddenly 4 thugs appeared around the front and started harassing him. They were passing a bottle whiskey around and were most likely still up from the night before.(this happened about 630am).

One of the guys started coming towards him saying how my neighbors watch would look better on him(Its a Rolex he got from his company when he retired). The other guys started asking him if he was ready for an ass kicking.(their words.... and who the hell would do this to an old man)
The head thug grabbed a metal pipe and said, "this is gonna hurt"... To which my neighbor replied, "not near as bad as this" and pulled his Sig P232. The guys jumped in their truck and drove off. My neighbor walked back through the woods so they couldn't come back. He told me he was absolutely positive the guys were going to beat him with that pole and at his age it could very well have been the end. The sheriff knew the truck and said the main thug was jacked up on Meth.

I have seen him take this walk hundreds of times and have even been with him on a few. NEVER did he mention or did i see that he had his Sig on shoulder holster. It rides nearly under his arm and can't be seen at all in a T shirt. He told me that he has been on this earth long enough to know that most people are nice, but it only takes one to destroy everything you work and live for...that's why he never leaves without his Sig.

I'm very thankful he is OK and reiterates the importance of protecting yourself. Bc when the bad guy shows up, nobody will be there to save you. The story hit me hard and I hope you will find it beneficial.

Twenty-odd years ago, I was in that story but without a gun. The only saving grace was one of the "thugs" had half of a conscience and talked some reason into the others. The beating took place on my car and not me.

I have not since encountered another episode like it, but today it would be much different. Instead of my car being disabled several miles into the back woods, the thug's car keys would leave with me and the police would be meeting the gang on their sobering walk. Or if they get stupid enough, they could have a free ride out in a hearse.

what kind of shoulder holster does he use?
He wears it under his T-shirt?
I'm confused.

Good for him. Did those 4 guys ever get caught?

Hell I'd carry my gun on me in the mountains 24/7.. I'm all set when it comes to being mauled/chased by a moose, bear, mountain lion :)

Here's a Shoulder Holster that goes well under my shirt. (sorry about the mirror quality)

holster_002.jpg

But I think it would pose some accessability issues under a T-shirt.
I use a fanny-pack while hiking.

I just imagine Martha Cockly to respond like this, especially after she came down on the guy who punched out the old man for touching his 4 year old son inappropriately in a public bathroom.

"This is totally unacceptable! This is exactly the kind of thing that we can not have in society. This is why we have Law Enforcement. It is not the civilians job to protect themselves. Furthermore, this man could have potentially violated of the civil rights of the man with the pipe! Citizens, let the justice system deal with these people correctly."

I have a question, were the actions of the guy with pipe enough to justify shooting in self defense? I am under the impression that by the letter of the law, that is brandishing. What happens to your neighbor if he shot and subsequently killed the man. Is what the perp did enough to justify shooting in self defense in MA?

Was he 21 feet away or closer?

Most laws read that outside of 21 feet, your supposed to be able to run away!

[thinking]Dude, wait, I have to get this tape measure out before I shoot ya!

PS: I haven't seen such laws. Please quote.

I have not seen the 21 foot rule as a law but I have heard it suggested that any more than 20 feet and you would not be able to convince a jury it was self defense.

BTW, how do they expact a 70 year old guy going to outrun a cranked up 30 year old junky from any distance let alone 20 feet?

The 21 foot rule is not a law (in Massachusetts, anyways), but we use it as a rule of thumb in Academy training. If you are attacked by a perp with a knife, or other dangerous weapon, from a distance of 21 feet or closer, you will NOT have time to draw and fire your weapon to stop the attack. We have numerous training videos and we have reenacted the scenario countless times to prove or disprove the theory. It's true. As far as MXD's question about self defense, the perp's actions ABSOLUTELY justify deadly force. It is not just the brandishing of the pipe, but the totality of facts and circumstances. The pipe is a deadly weapon, the perps are younger and stronger, one perp held the pipe in a threatening manner and said "this is gonna hurt". These facts led the victim to believe he was being threatened with death or serious bodily injury. That equals 'deadly force'. (It's all a matter of how you write your statement).

Holster under shirt

I wondered the same thing... shoulder holster under a t-shirt seems to present some logistical problems.

Rich

You guys have probably seen this. But just in case...

http://www.specgear.com/

I wear on about 4 days a week under a button down. Could do w/a tee too. Yes logistically it's a bitch - but better than nothing when you can't carry open or waist/ankle.

Thanks for sharing

That is a great story. These types of tales serve as reminders for me.

Our family has had a place on a lake in ME for 29 years. Summers are fine, but fall winter early spring there are maybe 12 occupied houses out of 200 on the lake. Lots of thugs break in and vandalize each year about 6-10 camps. One year they broke into a garage and chainsawed through the wall to get into the camp. They were out to to damage.

Ever since LTC I stocked up the camp in a nice place no one would find and carry just about all the time unless I'm in a bathing suit. Sometimes open with jacket or shirt barely covering. Plus when your out there snowmobiling 5 miles or sometimes 20+ miles into the woods with your wife and a friend it's scary to think of something like this going down unarmed.

Back
Top Bottom