• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

StormLake Caliber Conversion Barrels - Thumbs Up!

Mountain

NES Member
Many years ago, I was in the Knoxville Tennessee area for work, providing technical assistance to one of my major accounts. I finished early one day and decided to do a little 'smokestack chasing' to see if I could drum up some new business. Within the same industrial park area I spotted a decent size shop with a name I recognized- StormLake Machine. Cool, a gun place!

I walked in cold and did a double take. Prominently displayed were two targets full of bullet holes: one with holes to make a happy face, and one with a sad face. The happy face target had the message, "Salesman with an Appointment". You can guess what the sad face target said. The people in the office noticed my focus on the sad face, laughed, and asked if they could help me. I had a nice conversation with them and ended up doing a little business for materials to finish parts.

Recently I acquired a G35 with somewhat dubious accuracy for a longer barreled pistol. I tried a few different types of ammo but could not reach anywhere near the accuracy of some of my other pistols. What to do? A light bulb lit up in my head and I recalled StormLake. Not only could I try to improve accuracy, I could convert the .40 to 9mm.

The barrel was promptly delivered from Midway and I was very pleased upon opening the package. The overall finish of the barrel was perfect, and corners were crisp but not sharp. It dropped into the slide for a perfect, tight but not too tight fit. The bore looked like a mirror and was perfectly clean- the first patch swabbed through it came out perfectly white. The feed ramp appeared to be highly polished as a standard feature.

Jv2aigDl.jpg

Above target shot at 15 yards, two hand hold, no rest, 10 shots. Winchester White Box- so just your basic ammo. The overall spread and flyer at bottom is pretty much all me- I don't shoot pistols that often and the stock Glock trigger sucks like they always do. Pretty nice accuracy with 4 shots on top of each other. WAY better than I can do with the original .40 barrel.

If you are in the market for a replacement and/or conversion barrel, I highly recommend StormLake. Outstanding product, nice people, and made by a small company in my home Volunteer State.

Good Ol' Rockytop!
31pUWjoHG5L.jpg

I run a Storm Lake in my M&P 9C. It seems to make a difference for me, but it could just be a psychology/placebo effect as I'm not a good shot and I take any improvement I can get. Plus, it came with the gun when I bought it. I do have the OEM barrel, but don't really compare the two.

The Storm Lake does clean up really nice though. I like shiny things......[smile] Shiny things are faster and more accurate, so I'm told.

Jay

I run a Storm Lake in my M&P 9C. It seems to make a difference for me, but it could just be a psychology/placebo effect as I'm not a good shot and I take any improvement I can get. Plus, it came with the gun when I bought it. I do have the OEM barrel, but don't really compare the two.

The Storm Lake does clean up really nice though. I like shiny things......[smile] Shiny things are faster and more accurate, so I'm told.

Jay

I think there's something to that. The bore on this was very shiny- to the point of looking like it had been lapped. If it cleans faster, that indicates the surface finish of the bore is smoother.

Forgot to mention that this barrel provides full support for the case, unlike the OEM.

Very impressed with these SL barrels. I have a 9mm conversion in my MP40c. Very accurate and the fit is near perfect. My particular gun has actually been more reliable as a 9mm than a 40sw.

converted a .40 m&p compact to .357 sig with a storm lake barrel. first one they sent didn't fit, barrel hood was oversized. the replacement works like a champ. running it about 4 years now.

I bought a Storm Lake to convert a Glock 21 to 10mm. Very accurate barrel - I'd buy another from them anytime. I was a bit less impressed with the 10mm conversion - it ejected reliably, but not consistently. No FTEs, but would not always drop brass in the same pile, liked tossing some of them in random directions. If 10mm brass was easier to find, it wouldn't have bothered me. Tried a couple different extractors that helped, but didn't fix. My assumption is that the larger cut in the slide for 45ACP cases was allowing the smaller 10mm brass to move around under the extractor hook a bit during extraction. Did the right thing - sold the barrel, bought a G20.

I run one in glock 22 40sw converts to 9 no others parts but barrel swap runs like a camp

I have had the exact same experience. Gen 4 22 that shoot a loose group two inches left. I dropped in the 9mm SL conversion barrel and it shoots on the money and is now the most accurate gun for me that I own. Perfect reliability also.

Back
Top Bottom