Storing water

Soundwave

NES Member
So what is everyones process for storing water? I've got a bunch of 5gal containers arriving. Do you treat the water and leave it for 5 years? No treatment and rotate every 6 months? Or what? Thanks.

Saw that as well and may very well grab one to supplement. But for everyone that's been doing this for a while. Do you treat your water or not? Does it keep ok untreated if sealed up well?

It's not lack of proper seal but of purity when sealed that causes issues. I've heard varying stories based on different city water supplies. For the minimal effort and expense I wouldn't skip a few drops of treatment.

^ I agree with that.
There's so much junk - man made, and biological in everyday tap water.

5-Gallon Stackable Water Container kit (40 Total Gallons), 8 Pack, Blue, BPA Free, High Density Polyetholene (HDPE) with Built In Handle with Water Preserver plus 4 Additional Lids & 4 Total Spigots
Amazon product ASIN B06ZZGWCW9View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZGWCW9/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_9-0sEbTSRKVH7

That's what I bought but I have no experience so I was hoping for some insight.

I have also bought them in the past, but from Pleasant Hill Grain. I've had them for a few years but have not filled them. If it looks like they might be needed in the immediate future my plan is to run tap water through our Berkey water purifier (Which we currently use for all our drinking/cooking water) with the black ceramic filters and fill the 5 gal containers. If it looks like the water would be for immediate use, I wouldn't treat it further but if I were to store for a longer period of time I'd treat the purified water with with Aerobic Stabilized Oxygen. I keep a few bottles of the ASO on hand, supposedly it is good indefinitely if unopened. 3.25 oz. bottles are supposed to be good for 70 gallons each, per manufacturer.

I don't store water, I have flowing water on my property in three places all year. My emphasis is on boiling and filtering. I keep several cords of firewood, several stainless steel boiling pots, several packages of paper coffee filters, clean buckets, thirty pounds of activated charcoal and several bags of washed sand on hand to make filters as needed.

Have a Berkey with the chlorine and fluoride filters. Been washing out juice containers as I use them and fill with the filtered water and a few drops of bleach. Prob time to rotate those out. Ordered some pool shock the other day and will try sterilizing with that for.the first time.

Was at Costco the other day and picked up 6 gallons of Poland spring . Usually never buy bottled water but I was there and figured what the hell. Food shopping tonight and I'll prob pick up some more.

Last edited:
Have a Berkey with the chlorine and fluoride filters. Been washing out juice containers as I use them and fill with the filtered water and a few drops of bleach. Prob time to rotate those out. Ordered some pool shock the other day and will try sterilizing with that for.the first time.

Was at Costco the other day and picked up 6 gallons of Poland spring . Usually never buy bottled water but I was there and figured what the hell. Food shopping tonight and I'll prob pick up some more.

Be sure to store that dry pool shock outside of your living spaces in a dry, waterproof container.

As it ages, it breaks down and out gasses chlorine gas which is (deadly).

#3: Calcium hypochlorite is a pesticide.
According to the Centers for Disease control, the main
ingredient of pool shock, calcium hypochlorite, is a "substance
[that] is very toxic to aquatic organisms
." The Environmental
Protection Agency (EPA) agrees saying that Pool shock is
"pesticide control over microorganisms," meaning it's toxic to
fish and aquatic organisms. It also means it's toxic for you!

#4: Calcium hypochlorite may cause fire or
explosion.

Storing pool shock is dangerous. Obviously you should keep
away from kids and pets, however you may not know that this
stuff can spontaneously combust! That's right: calcium
hypochlorite can burn when it reacts chemically or oxidized and
it could cause a fire or explosion!

• Keep pool shock away from fuel sources. Calcium
    hypochlorite may ignite with other combustible materials,
    such as wood, paper or oil. Reaction with fuels may be
    quite violent! If fire breaks out, do NOT use a fire
    extinguisher as the chemicals could cause an even bigger
    problem on your hands. Extinguish fire only with large
    amounts of water.

• Don't mix pool shock with other ingredients. The
    "DANGER" warning reads: "Contamination or improper use
    may cause fire or explosion. Do NOT contaminate in any
    foreign matter, including other pool treatment products Add
    only into water. Rea all precautions statements on the
    back label and first aid statements before use."

• Keep calcium hypochlorite away from moisture. You
    must especially keep Pool Shock away from moisture. Even
    spilling a cup of coffee presents problems!

#5: Pool Shock is a highly corrosive and caustic
substance.

Pool Shock is a highly corrosive substance that's dangerous to
skin and eyes. The minute it hits your skin, calcium hypochlorite
begins to cause damage to skin, eyes, respiratory tract, and the
digestive tract. Calcium hypochlorite can chemically destroy
body tissues on contact! So get out the goggles, gloves and
footwear to protect yourself properly if you plan on using it.

The extra shock of chlorine in Pool Shock can cause a chemical
burn of skin damage and eye injuries. Basically it can destroy
the fats and proteins of your skin.

Last edited:
not really related but i read this thread with interest. i found ten 2.5 gallon jugs of poland springs water i bought in dec. 1999 for the y2k fiasco that never happened. i guess i was prepping then, right? i was hoping i would read there was a magic tablet i could drop in the jugs when/if i needed them to make it fit, if not for human consumption, at least for pet hydration. i guess i'll still hang onto the water, best case i can flush the toilet several times in case the water stops for some reason. oh, each jug is down i'd say by half gallon due to evaporation.

So what is everyones process for storing water? I've got a bunch of 5gal containers arriving. Do you treat the water and leave it for 5 years? No treatment and rotate every 6 months? Or what? Thanks.
I rotate six 7 gal jugs every six months add 1/8 per gal chlorine but I'm going to 2 fifty-five gal containers soon and lose the jugs.

not really related but i read this thread with interest. i found ten 2.5 gallon jugs of poland springs water i bought in dec. 1999 for the y2k fiasco that never happened. i guess i was prepping then, right? i was hoping i would read there was a magic tablet i could drop in the jugs when/if i needed them to make it fit, if not for human consumption, at least for pet hydration. i guess i'll still hang onto the water, best case i can flush the toilet several times in case the water stops for some reason. oh, each jug is down i'd say by half gallon due to evaporation.

Wow. Sealed jugs still evaporate? I mean, I figured a tiny bit, but half a gallon?!? I suppose that is over 10 years time, but never would have guessed it.

I got some 35 gallon maple syrup containers from a fellow members about 6 years ago.
I have now filled them twice since getting them, probably do them again once spring breaks.
A few weeks back I opened one up and pumped out some water, boiled it, let it cool and drank away.
I was fine of course cause I boiled it, I would not trust it being that long without a quick boil.
For toilet water it's fine but I have several trash cans that I will collect rain water for washing and flushing.
I also have a common well behind our house, it's just a rain run off well but always has water and I could use that but would still boil it for drinking.

I have a large lake 100 yards from the house, so that's the last resort but that means putting myself out side my zone, if I needed it.

I have a big Brita container I keep on my fridge. I hope that will come in handy as a secondary precaution after boiling,storage treatment and those tablets.

i was hoping i would read there was a magic tablet i could drop in the jugs when/if i needed them to make it fit, if not for human consumption, at least for pet hydration.

The “magic tablets” you are thinking of is iodine tablets. Couple of things with them though...
- Your water will taste like ass
- They don’t kill everything. I think they are pretty effective, but know I’ve read they aren’t 100% somewhere. (Double check me there)

I think calcium hypochlorite is the generally accepted gold standard for long term storage.

The “magic tablets” you are thinking of is iodine tablets. Couple of things with them though...
- Your water will taste like ass
- They don’t kill everything. I think they are pretty effective, but know I’ve read they aren’t 100% somewhere. (Double check me there)

I think calcium hypochlorite is the generally accepted gold standard for long term storage.
ah...good info. another thing about these 2.5 gal jugs...they look like the pic below. only 20 years ago the plastic was clear, not the white opaque color they show. and what worries me is the built in spout not being air tight and letting organisms in. probably why the water evaporated like it did. i dunno, i should know this stuff, i'm a lousy prepper.

1582059438247.png

I rotate six 7 gal jugs every six months add 1/8 per gal chlorine but I'm going to 2 fifty-five gal containers soon and lose the jugs.

Keep the jugs, they could come in useful for providing water to someone else or to bring to a vehicle, or a remote decon site.

Tomorrow when you wake actually watch how much water you use, not drink just use.
Now picture it not coming out of the shinny thing or being in the porcelain bowl

You will use alot more than you think. Now picture the power being out, but your body functions are the same.
Right now it's raining anyone else have there rain barrels filling up under some gutters?
I do and if it looks like it will freeze in a day or two I will empty them or just try to get them in the garage.
This virus hits us it will be a freight train hit not a softball, time to go to the stores are now not when it hits.

Back
Top Bottom