Storing water

ah...good info. another thing about these 2.5 gal jugs...they look like the pic below. only 20 years ago the plastic was clear, not the white opaque color they show. and what worries me is the built in spout not being air tight and letting organisms in. probably why the water evaporated like it did. i dunno, i should know this stuff, i'm a lousy prepper.

View attachment 332750
Doesn't the plastic leech into the water? Hence the expiration date? My understanding that these are not a good long term solution but I could be wrong.

That being said, I bought a few 7 gallon "aqua tainers" but I haven't filled them yet so I can't comment on their durability.

Doesn't the plastic leech into the water? Hence the expiration date? My understanding that these are not a good long term solution but I could be wrong.

That being said, I bought a few 7 gallon "aqua tainers" but I haven't filled them yet so I can't comment on their durability.

They take up the same amount of room, empty or full.

The time to fill them isn't when the water supply has been compromised. [thumbsup]

They take up the same amount of room, empty or full.

The time to fill them isn't when the water supply has been compromised. [thumbsup]
Fair point. I wanted to give them a good cleaning first but ran out of time over the weekend.

Is filling these up with water from the tap sufficient? Filter through a Brita/Pur for drinking and use the water for cooking "as is"?

Tomorrow when you wake actually watch how much water you use, not drink just use.
Now picture it not coming out of the shinny thing or being in the porcelain bowl

You will use alot more than you think.
When I bought my house and got my first water bill along with the usage # I said NFW did I use all that water. Started doing the math: toilet is 1.6 gpf x X flushes per day. Shower head is X gpm for ~7-10 min, etc. Came out right around the ballpark of what the bill said.

I'm interested in an IBC tote. 275 gallons, food-grade potable water storage.

s-l640.jpg

When I bought my house and got my first water bill along with the usage # I said NFW did I use all that water. Started doing the math: toilet is 1.6 gpf x X flushes per day. Shower head is X gpm for ~7-10 min, etc. Came out right around the ballpark of what the bill said.
They haven't put us on a meter here... Yet.

I'm interested in an IBC tote. 275 gallons, food-grade potable water storage.

s-l640.jpg

They're good, but will grow algae if left exposed to sunlight. You have to remove the plastic container out of the frame by removing the bars on top and turning it upside down and lift off the frame, then wrap it with black plastic and tape it up.
I have several of them here that I use to water a couple of deer food plots and a small garden that is out of reach of my hose.
You'll also need a forklift to move it with any amount of water in it.😀 Using the forks on my tractor, I rarely fill one more than 2/3 full.

The planets 80% water. I'm not really worried about finding water. Enough for a couple buckets for flushing. Filtration is my only concern for drinking water. No real need to store hundreds of gallons of drinking water. I wouldn't say no to a couple of totes (or even a pond) combined with a gas powered pump and outdoor sprinklers or a 2 inch hose for fire suppression.

The planets 80% water. I'm not really worried about finding water.
yeah, it is. but talk to people who have been in situations where there are no utilities and the drinking water has been compromised. if you have a family of say 5, just keeping them in drinking water for 2-3 days is a real chore, then water to reconstitute dried foods. you need some serious filtration to deal with bacteria, bird and animal droppings and whatever else. you'd need to find a source of water, have a means to transport it home in quantity etc, etc. etc. it becomes a burden.

The planets 80% water. I'm not really worried about finding water. Enough for a couple buckets for flushing. Filtration is my only concern for drinking water. No real need to store hundreds of gallons of drinking water. I wouldn't say no to a couple of totes (or even a pond) combined with a gas powered pump and outdoor sprinklers or a 2 inch hose for fire suppression.

Yes, there's lots of water on the planet......and most of it is non potable without treatment of some kind.

Filtration and purification is the easy part, pour it through a T shirt to get the big chunks out and boil it if possible. If not then extra filtration and or chemical treatment would be necessary.

Having enough of it readily at hand in is the difficult aspect of it. Manually transporting a large quantity at once from a source can be monumentally difficult depending on equipment available.

If you have to start out rationing your drinking water in quantities less than recommended amounts per person per day you'll be behind the 8 ball from the get go.

Back
Top Bottom