• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storing water?

I am working on a some prepping, and was wondering about storing water. Currently I have a few Poland springs 5 gallon jugs(clear kind for water cooler) and was wondering how long I could expect to get out of them if left sealed. They are stored in a fairly dark/dry room. Short of evaporating, will it go "bad" in any way just left as is?

I don't believe so. Are you in a place where you could start to collect rainwater? It would reduce the amount you need to store.

sent from tapatalk mobile app

I contacted Poland Spring about this very question last year. According to Poland Spring, if kept at a consistent temperature (e.g. stored in a basement), all Poland Spring products are good for 2 years. After which, it may still be perfectly fine, however they will no longer guarantee for how long.

Any water is better than none, even stuff stored in plastic bottles for years(if the containers don't self destruct).

What you want is to have a rotating stock AND the ability to filter any type of water in an emergency. Get yourself a top shelf water filter and also have the means to boil water, ie large pot and some type of fire source.

Think about what you'd do when what you have runs out. Where are you going to source water from? A lake, stream, creek, rain gutter, a spring, a swamp? You've got to be able to make any of them potable.

You should be rotating stock. And even if they do suddenly 'go bad' after two years, the only way you would ever run into that is if you had more than 2 years worth of water. And where the f--k are you putting all that water?

Also, keep in mind that the plastics those bottles are made from take like 400 years to degrade. The water might taste a little funny after a few years, but otherwise as long as it stays sealed, you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom