• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storing Water in vehicle

SteelShooter

NES Member
Anyone have a way to store emergency water in a vehicle without it freezing? I made up some emergency bags for my kids trucks and included some bottled water, but obviously it freezes solid. Any thoughts?

2691558545_728150acb4.jpg

I just partially fill the containers, myself. You can melt it faster than you die of thirst, so no problemo. Having a smaller container or two or three is easier to thaw than a big jug.

How much are you looking to store? I typically carry a bottle of watter with me so when I'm driving I have water in the car. If you're looking for a small amount, that's one way to do it. If you're looking for an amount for long term survival, then that's a whole 'nother story.

Evian. Seriously. The mineral content is high enough that it really takes an extreme freeze to turn it into ice. I have seen it stay liquid after a couple days of single digit temps. Only problem is if you are not used to the mineral content it can cause some stomach problems. Not everyone has this problem but it is worth knowing before hand if you do or not.

should mention one other thing. While it is not frozen, drinking water that is 5-10 degrees is a bit shocking.

Found all this out when someone left a bottle in my car and I was suprised when I found it and it was not frozen solid.

I keep a 12 pack of water in the car, frozen or not.

One time I got stuck in traffic on 128 for hours in blazing heat with no water. Never again.

Nestle Pure water has low mineral content and takes a lot to freeze. When below freezing temp you can shake it and watch it turn to slush/ice.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to add something to the water to reduce its freezing point. Sugar is a natural choice since it will provided needed calories in a survival situation, unfortuantely sugar's soluability drops rapidly as water cools and it's near impossible to get enough sugar into the water to drop its freezing point much. Even 25% gluclose solution freezes at about 23 degrees.

I tried looking for a good solution that safe to drink but has a very low melting point. Best I could come up with:

3 Cups Water + 1 Cup hard alcohol (25% / 50 proof) + 1/2 cup sugar + 2 Table Spoons salt. It should all dissolve fairly easily and drop the freezing point into the mid-teens, and when it does freeze, there will be a liquid core of very sweet tasting alcohol.

You CAN drink antifreeze....no one is saying that it's a good thing, though.....[laugh]

I found out tonight that if you drink antifreeze, one way to prevent it from killing you is to drink vodka. The vodka inhibits the receptors that the antifreeze would normally f with. Of course, the real solution is to get hospital grade alcohol, but vodka works in a pinch.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

I gotta ask - why is having frozen water such a big problem?

a) It's kinda hard to drink

b) When it's frozen, usually it's cold out. Drinking ~32* water when it's already cold can lower your core temp to a dangerous level.

Personally, I keep a case of the .5L bottles in the car. Never had a problem with them bursting when frozen, and they're small enough that you can tuck a few in your jacket and your body's waste heat will thaw them sufficiently.

simple, i carry a small canvas bag to work daily with a 12 oz bottle of water in

it, take it home at night... can't freeze.... in the summer i put it in my console.

simple, i carry a small canvas bag to work daily with a 12 oz bottle of water in

it, take it home at night... can't freeze.... in the summer i put it in my console.

Well, they are packs for my 18 and 21 year olds at college. I don't think I can rely on them to bring it in and out every time they get in their vehicle. The idea is that they are sitting in their vehicles and they don't have to worry (meaning me) about whether they have it with them or not.
Alcohol is probably not a good idea either. I'm going to try some hand warmers and see how long it takes to melt the water a little at a time, those are cheap enough to keep a dozen or so more in there on top of what I already planned. Thanks for the ideas.

Whaaat? Google is your friend...$14.99 + $8.95 shipping or FREE shipping for in-store pick-up...

QUOTE]

Crap, I do that all the time - need that instant order gratification! Thanks for reminding me about the inter webby thingy. Now if I can only find one of those thingys that go up.

Back
Top Bottom