• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storing vs transporting

headednorth

NES Member
Say I plan on stopping at the range on the way home after work. If I leave a gun unloaded and locked in a case in the truck while Im working, am I in compliance? Kind of a grey area for me because if the truck is parked and Im not in it, it sounds like storage rather than transporting. If Im storing at my home, locked is ok but doesnt need to be unloaded. Transporting needs to be locked and unloaded.

I assume if the truck was stolen or broken into and the gun disappeared, suitability would come into play, but what does the law say regarding storing a firearm in a vehicle? Is keeping a gun in the truck during the day a no-go?

IANAL, but if it's unloaded in a locked case, you're covered. Once you exit the vehicle, it becomes storage, not transportation. If your truck gets broken into and the gun gets stolen, the cops would *not* be amused, I'm sure. It's a shame, because being able to keep a truck gun without worrying would be really nice.

I seem to recall somewhere on the vast maze of the EOPS site there was a FAQ section that stated that a locked trunk is considered a locked container for the storage of firearms. Perhaps someone has a link to that section.

Granted if someone pops your trunk and steals your firearm(s), things will not go well in many ways.

Notwithstanding this paragraph or any general or special law to the contrary, no person, who in good faith, reports a loss or theft under this paragraph for the first time shall be subject to suspension, revocation or be considered unsuitable under section 131 for the renewal of a lawfully held firearm identification card or license to carry firearms;

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/SessionLaws/Acts/2014/Chapter284

I seem to recall somewhere on the vast maze of the EOPS site there was a FAQ section that stated that a locked trunk is considered a locked container for the storage of firearms. Perhaps someone has a link to that section.

Granted if someone pops your trunk and steals your firearm(s), things will not go well in many ways.

The OP said TRUCK not trunk. I had to read it 3 times before I saw it myself.

You have to comply with 2 sets of laws. Transport and storage (when the truck is parked)

Trigger locks do you no good for transport.

A locked container satisfies both transport and storage.

So the simple answer is to store the gun in a locked container while you are at work.
That gets you legal. Ethically, you should do something to make sure that someone can't just smash a window and take the case. But that's not what you asked.

Don

Back
Top Bottom