• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storing Raisins

xtry51

NES Member
Anyone have any experience storing raisins for more than a year? I keep a few small boxes for what we munch on within 6months and they keep nice, but I haven't tried long term.

We have had the sealed round plastic tubs of them keep for about 2 yrs. Ate them by them so no idea as to total time.

I haven't tried repacking them for long term storage but they never seem to go bad. Even when they get a little hard they still work in cookies and oatmeal.

I have a lot of stuff Mylar bagged and oxygen removed. Just wondering if it's worth it for raisins. I'd do it if I knew I could get at least 5 years.

I have a lot of stuff Mylar bagged and oxygen removed. Just wondering if it's worth it for raisins. I'd do it if I knew I could get at least 5 years.

Not sure if I would use the mylar bags for raisons.

In my own experience, vacuum packing food items severely increases the time they keep. I've had stuff frozen that way still be 100% well after a year (no freezer burn). I bet if you also tossed one of the oxygen removal packets into the mass, you'd get even longer term storage from it.

Why not give it a shot if you have the hardware/supplies already? Just don't forget where you put them in the 5 year gap. [rofl2]

My local Sam's Club used to (they still may?) stock multi-packs of 1lb bags, that are stored in a what appears to be (a very thin) mylar packaging. The use by date is roughly 2 years from when they were purchased, and I have opened them well beyond that and they were fine. I do not recall any absorbers, though nor do I have any on hand to read off any possible preservative ingredients, I'm sorry.

They came in resealable packages and we used them well past "the day" (mostly baking but were still fine by the handful as far as I am concerned).

Concord grapes grow well in the region, I'm hoping my vines produce well this year for some home-made raisins and to add some more flavor depth to our wine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom