• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

storing guns in gun socks/socks

headednorth

NES Member
Any longer term issues with storing guns in some sort of fabric? Im assuming those silicone gun socks are made specifically for that so they arent a problem (or are they?). What about an actual sock (clean of course) or a rag?

I have a few rifle sized gun socks but for handguns, Ive been using an old sock to keep it from getting dinged up in the safe. Theyre cotton so I was thinking maybe they could hold any moisture that finds its way into the safe. I put some weatherstripping around the door but its far from a perfect seal. Would it make it any better if I treated the sock with oil first? Anyone have any experience with this type of method good or bad? (or am I the cheapest bastard on NES?)[laugh]

Really I should be talking about getting a more appropriately sized safe but thats a question for another day. So as for now, storing guns in an untreated, clean, cotton gym sock- yes or no?

Yeah don't use a gym sock for the obvious reasons that you already stated.

I’ve been using Borestores Protective Gun Cases Silicone Treated - Bore Stores on all of my handguns for the last 4 years with no effects whatsoever. They sit in a small safe. I love them and I can stack guns on top of guns so more room for fun. They have protected everything well and provide a nice level of padding. They have been well worth the money.

These won't work, but they'll look great...

996dcf8ea0719ad6f5acd8cbf3419e35.jpg

I like VCI (by the roll) and butcher's twine for long guns. (Garands love it...)

vci-waxed-paper-rolls-1000px.jpg

I have a few of these (VCI socks) on seldom used rifles and they seem to be doing what they’re supposed to. I also have 4-5 zerust pods, and a plug-in dehumidifier that’s rarely plugged in.

I have used silicon gun socks for years with no issues. And when I am impatient and trying to drag something out the wood is protected.

Back
Top Bottom