Storing Guns in Apartment Buildings

I'm hoping this is a relatively simple question. If you live in a multi-unit apartment building (in MA) wtih a shared basement storage area, can you store a gun in a locked case in that shared basement? Common sense dictates that you put the locked case inside some other kind of locked storage container or safe so as to dissade anyone from leaving with your gun and popping open its case. But what are the rules/laws in this area? Do the rules differ depending on what type of gun it is?

Thanks very much -- hope this thread is less controversial than my last one.

I am not sure what the actual law states but common sense would suggest a common area/shared basement is not the ideal location for storing a firearm. Even if you have a safe down there still does not seem like a good idea. Why exactly is it that you cannot store it in your apartment direct? I suggest you think twice before deciding to go the basement storage route. This is only my opinion and by no means is dictated based upon storage laws.

/\---what they said. I couldn't imagine leaving firearms in a shared area where people you are not familiar with have access to the container that they are in.

All your guns have to be locked with at least a trigger lock.
If they are in a safe or locked case, then you do not need the trigger lock on them.

The purpose of the law is to prevent unauthorized access to the gun, ie your kids, neighbors etc.

It does not matter what type of gun it is.
There is the exception of muzzleloading rifles and antique (pre 1899) guns. They are not required to be locked.

That being said storing in a shared basement is just stupid to begin with. First its a damp basement, things will rust fast and the obvious that its shared. You dont know who is screwing with your stuff no matter how well you know your neighbors.

All it takes is a loose round on the floor for them to freakout and call the cops and then your chief declares you unsuitable and charges you with improper storage. Not worth it.

A small stack-on cabinet for $90 in the corner of the bedroom is the way to go if you have no other option.

IIRC, the law basically says that the firearm must be stored in a way to prevent access to unauthorized users. Whether it sitting in a locked case in a basement that others have access to qualifies as adhering to the law or not I do not know. Does the law consider the unauthorized access to the actual locked case unlawful? Or just the firearm itself? Is a huge gun safe in the shared basement considered allowing potential "unauthorized access"?

Way too much fuzzy. Forget it. Keep it in your apartment. Check your lease for the details. If there is no mention in there of being disallowed to keep firearms in the apartment, then do it. Even if there is, I reckon' it could be successfully challenged if the SHTF via the landlord/owner discovering that you had a firearm in a locked case in your apartment.

Thanks. I agree with all the common-sense arguments against but am wondering if anyone knows what the law requires.

Law requires that your guns are locked with trigger lock, or are stored in a locked case, locked safe, locked trunk.

Doesnt say where they are stored, only that they have to be locked.

You could stick them in the corner of the basement with just a trigger lock, and that would legal.

Your chief may think otherwise though.... It is law but open to discretion.

I live in an apartment complex same as yours and I keep my guns in my apartment in the closet.

I wouldn't dream of storing them in the storage locker in the basement...

As usual with these types of questions (i.e. stored in a shared basement, stored at a friends house, stored in a car, etc.), if they are properly secured, it's technically legal, but certainly less than ideal.

As usual with these types of questions (i.e. stored in a shared basement, stored at a friends house, stored in a car, etc.), if they are properly secured, it's technically legal, but certainly less than ideal.

An appeals court recently upheld this view, but that was after a person was charged AND CONVICTED for a storage violation of a gun that was locked in a container he was sitting on. Expect that a gun stolen from a shared basement will garner unwanted attention. The cops are spending other people's money when they charge someone. Those charged spend their own money in defense.

He was nowhere near the firearm, much less sitting on it.

I read he was sitting on the cooler that the locked glock pistol case was in the backyard. The whole thing went down that he was threatening to commit suicide IIRC. I can't find any news articles any longer though to verify.

BTW: This is the kid it looks like...
http://www.modelmayhem.com/1412761

ETA: It looks like when the cops came he went to meet them inside the house, so we may both be right.

what I did

I am not in an apartment but my basement is very damp so what I did was measure a closet and find a safe that fits in there tightly. Even it it doesn't weight hundreds of pounds it is bolted to the wall from the inside and there is no room to get any leverage to pry on it. Also it is out of sight unless I invite someone to see something.

Bill

It does not matter what type of gun it is.
There is the exception of muzzleloading rifles and antique (pre 1899) guns. They are not required to be locked.

IIRC

Antique (pre 1899) guns which can take modern cartridges, like a Win m97 (12GA, 20GA) or a vintage Mauser (7x57mm, etc) need to be locked just like a modern firearm. This exemption only applies to guns which have primitive forms of ignition. IE: Percussion Caps, Flintlocks, Matchlocks

As others have said, storing in a shared basement or other shared area is not ideal.

As at least one other poster said, get a Stack-On gun cabinet, put it in a closet in the apartment and store the guns that way. While not a true safe it will at least slow down the robber a little. Stack-On even has an 8 gun cabinet that can be assembled your self so you can discreetly bring in the cabinet without others knowing what it is. Nothing like trying to wheel a fully assembled large gun cabinet/safe through an apartment complex with others looking on. It screams; "I have guns". [laugh]

Stack-On Gun Cabinets
http://www.stack-on.com/categories/security-cabinets-gun-cabinets

Why would you lock up your guns? To me that makes no sense, and keeping them in a basement is just asking for trouble. How will you defend yourself if you have to go to the basement and unlock them first?
I keep mine loaded, unlocked, and ready to go, except for my range guns, or is it just your range guns that you are referring to?

Why would you lock up your guns? To me that makes no sense, and keeping them in a basement is just asking for trouble. How will you defend yourself if you have to go to the basement and unlock them first?
I keep mine loaded, unlocked, and ready to go, except for my range guns, or is it just your range guns that you are referring to?

Because you're a newbie here, and you are in Georgia. The OP lives in an apartment building in Boston, Mass. Read through the stickies in the Mass Law sub-forum, and in fact all the posts there, and you will get an idea of how to answer your own first question.

Another topic, which I don't think anyone brought up. Is that when you live in an apt building, there is usually times where maintenance comes in to do work. Usually unannounced.

You don't exactly want your guns laying out (even with just a trigger lock) in an apt.

I'm hoping this is a relatively simple question. If you live in a multi-unit apartment building (in MA) wtih a shared basement storage area, can you store a gun in a locked case in that shared basement?

The short answer, likely legal in court, very likely that charges would be filed if it came to the attention of LE.

Shared basement? Ick. Why not keep the locked case in your apartment?

I have a theory, but in deference to the wishes of the OP, I will try to keep this thread from becoming controversial. [grin]

Technically basement is (probably) OK. See http://masscases.com/cases/app/77/77massappct82.html (Thanks for the cite)

We discussed that here on NES.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-vs.-Lojko-New-MA-quot-Safe-Storage-quot-Case

Also it is out of sight unless I invite someone to see something.

A very good idea.

IIRC

Antique (pre 1899) guns which can take modern cartridges, like a Win m97 (12GA, 20GA) or a vintage Mauser (7x57mm, etc) need to be locked just like a modern firearm. This exemption only applies to guns which have primitive forms of ignition. IE: Percussion Caps, Flintlocks, Matchlocks

You are correct.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131l

(f) This section shall not apply to the storage or keeping of any firearm, rifle or shotgun with matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system manufactured in or prior to the year 1899, or to any replica of any such firearm, rifle or shotgun if such replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

Good catch!

Why would you lock up your guns? To me that makes no sense, and keeping them in a basement is just asking for trouble.

You're really not going to like Massachusetts...guns have to be locked up in that state.

Back
Top Bottom