• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storing gun in car while at work? gun law?

Darius, I will bow to your obvoius expertise with regard to gun laws but dont you think it is common sense that if the gun must be unloaded, it means that the ammo should not be accessable to the thief? Seems to me that it goes to the issue of suitability. I also assumed that if you have the gun in a locked container, you would want to make sure the thief just doesnt take the whole box to pry it open later. That is why I said that it should be secured to the vehicle to prevent such an occurance.

Joe

common sense and laws are 2 TOTALLY different things lol. [rofl][rofl] what makes sense in real life, may not apply to actual law.

and if the thief gets the gun, its easy enough to get bullets, i think it has to be unloaded so it wont go BANG while in the car. safety reasons i assume.

Darius, I will bow to your obvoius expertise with regard to gun laws but dont you think it is common sense that if the gun must be unloaded, it means that the ammo should not be accessable to the thief? Seems to me that it goes to the issue of suitability. I also assumed that if you have the gun in a locked container, you would want to make sure the thief just doesnt take the whole box to pry it open later. That is why I said that it should be secured to the vehicle to prevent such an occurance.

Joe

Joe,

Your shots are still striking wide of the bullseye. [wink]

Thank god we all still live in a free country, I will continue to do what I do when I secure my firearms, you all can do what you do to secure yours. Hopefully none of us will have to find out what happens when johnny scumbag breaks in.

Thank god we all still live in a free country, I will continue to do what I do when I secure my firearms, you all can do what you do to secure yours. Hopefully none of us will have to find out what happens when johnny scumbag breaks in.

trust me, what you said is what i do. but i wanted to know what the LAW was. not what was more secure. i do plan on mounting a safe in the spare tire well of my car for safe gun storage, even though the law says all i need to do is toss it in the trunk. [rofl][rofl] I park in a secure parking lot that requires a key card, and no one knows i carry anyway, and my car sucks and no one in their right mind would bother stealing or breaking in to it. plus i hide my lock box very well when i put it in the trunk.

Joe

This is your recommendation, NOT what the law requires. There is no problem storing ammo in the same container when driving, either by MA law or by FOPA. There is absolutely no requirement and it is often impractical or impossible to secure a container to the car.

Last edited:

You might be surprised. Many folks here, including some who have disagreed with you, may well store their firearms the same way you do. But there is a difference between recommended storage practices and the law.

Joe

You are focused and completely fixed on the "THIEF" scenario. The court probably wanted to prevent "accidental discharge" while in that locked container, who knows.

Seems to me that it goes to the issue of suitability.

By whose standard? Suitability is subjective. One IA might revoke one's license for having any gun stolen under any circumstance. Another IA would correctly view the gun owner as a victim and not a perpetrator. Many in MA likely fall somewhere in between those two standards.

ETA:- holy thread revival batman!

-Mike

Last edited:
a friend of mine was in a store leaving his gun locked and unattended in his glove box and was arrested for neg. of a firearm. needless to say that wasnt the only charge he got BTW he no longer has the right to bear arms

a friend of mine was in a store leaving his gun locked and unattended in his glove box and was arrested for neg. of a firearm. needless to say that wasnt the only charge he got BTW he no longer has the right to bear arms

thats because a glove box is explicitly not considered a locked container, IIRC

Edit: Looks like I am wrong

Last edited:

??? What was he charged with? While it's far from advisable, there's nothing in the law that preclude a locked glove box from being a "secured container", despite what a lot of people may think.

Ken

leaving a firearm unattended and another charge unrelated but im sure the unrelated charge was the cause of the firearm violation

he actually took a plea but didnt get charged with the gun charge he was charge with a felony not related to a gun....he wasnt convicted of the felony any chance he will get his ltc back after probation

he actually took a plea but didnt get charged with the gun charge he was charge with a felony not related to a gun....he wasnt convicted of the felony any chance he will get his ltc back after probation

so, he did or didnt have a firearms charge? your posts are very confusing. is your last sentence a question?

1) You'll need to find out exactly what he was convicted of.

2) There is always the "suitability" hammer that the chief will likely use against him, even if he isn't prohibited.

More than likely if you have a gun stolen from you in this state (MA) in many cities and towns your suitability will be up to the COP. Remember they don't need a reason or proof and you need a good lawyer and the dough to get them to do what's right.

Many a man has been convicted and sent to jail because he could not afford a good defense and many a criminal has gotten off because he could. That's the justice system we live with!

Thread revival for a second here; so in my truck, and to cover all my bases, and give me a leg up just in case this ever gets to court (suitability), I should buy 2 gun vaults, secure both of them to the floor of my Tundra, unload the gun and put it in one, & put the ammo in the other. I know this seems excessive but would this cover all my bases (misinformed, imaginary and real)?

Last edited:
Thread revival for a second here; so in my truck, and to cover all my basis, and give me a leg up just in case this ever gets to court (suitability), I should buy 2 gun vaults, secure both of them to the floor of my Tundra, unload the gun and put it in one, & put the ammo in the other. I know this seems excessive but would this cover all my basis (misinformed, imaginary and real)?

Sadly, that's exactly what I'm considering.

Thread revival for a second here; so in my truck, and to cover all my basis, and give me a leg up just in case this ever gets to court (suitability), I should buy 2 gun vaults, secure both of them to the floor of my Tundra, unload the gun and put it in one, & put the ammo in the other. I know this seems excessive but would this cover all my basis (misinformed, imaginary and real)?

Bases, and when dealing with gun laws that are often mis-applyed and interpreted "creatively" you never really know for sure. For example, you could theoretically still be charged for "improper transport" due to the "direct control" language. Perhaps we'll have some case law soon.

And by the way, don't let anyone see you unloading the gun or reloading it when you get back. And don't ND into your leg while trying to do the same without being seen by the Mothers of America.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction & reply Jason. Also, I have no idea what you and Knuckle Dragger are referring to (I'm out of the loop apparently) but please keep us posted.

Thank you for the info sire.... Its still BS. I find myself breaking down my pistol licking it in my gunvault and putting the mags in my truck box if i have to....
Just don't do that after your pistol has been sitting in your truck for a long period of time during the winter. Your tongue will get stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
So when your driving you follow the transporting law, but when you are parked and not in your car you follow the storage law. Is that correct? I also read alot of people saying it needs to unloaded. Can someone show me where in the storage law it says it has to be unloaded?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom