Storing Cast Bullets

My supply of cast bullets for 9mm was almost depleted, so over the last few days I've been doing some casting, sizing, and lubing. I took advantage of the snowy weather today to finish up. I've been trying to find some good containers to hold the finished bullets. Over the years I've used wooden cigar boxes, cardboard boxes, plastic containers, and so on. None of them worked particularly well. Some were too flimsy, too deep, too big, and so on. But I think I've finally found some pretty good storage containers:

9mm%20Casting1.JPG

9mm%20Casting2.JPG

I decided to try the metal containers from those Danish Butter Cookies that everyone seems to have around Christmas time. There's 2800 sized and lubed cast bullets in those two containers. Each container holds four layers of bullets, separated by circular pieces of cardboard. Very sturdy. I use plastic and metal coffee cans for bulk storage of the cast bullets before sizing and lubing.

BTW, the bullets are 120gr truncated cone, sized to .356, lubed with Alox. The mold used was a 6 cavity aluminum Lee.

If anyone else has any other ideas for storage containers, please pass them along. Otherwise, I'm going to go buy some more cookies! [smile]

Last edited:
Looks great, I have been using 1 quart tupperware type (won-ton soup) containers for my BP cowboy bullets, but find that the lube has been sticking etc, as they are not lined up....
I was thinking of getting using shallower/wider tupperware (9x9 square is one Ih ave now) and doing layers.

Kitty litter buckets for the brass....

Love to recycle....

I just use military ammo cans. I don't see the need to make them all organized like that but I have to admit they look good. The cans you are using must weigh a few pounds.

I ***AM*** the cookie monster. Have lots of those cans in storage. My only concern is that those tins would be heavy, and if you picked one up wrong, they would bend, risking dropping lead bullets everywhere. Nice looking boolits though. I am casting this weekend! Not sure what I will put mine in. Mostly .401 dia .40 S&W bullets, also with the Alox/Xlox microgrooves.

I've been using the 2.1 liter plastic containers you can get at Ocean State Job Lot..... Heavy duty plastic takes the weight well, lids have 4 clamps which hold really well and they stack nice.....

Also are wicked cheap.....[smile]

Thanks for the suggestions and comments, guys. I used to just dump all the finished bullets into a container but the lube got all over everything. Maybe it wouldn't have been a problem with a hard lube, but I've still got many tubes of a softer Alox lube that I like and I prefer to use that. Each one of the tins weighs about 24lbs fully loaded. So far they seem to be holding up well. What prompted me to post was that I came across a bunch of those Danish butter cookies at a clearance sale and was debating whether to stock up. My waistline doesn't really need the cookies, but if it will give me more storage ability in the reloading room I'll make the sacrifice. [wink]

Thanks for the suggestions and comments, guys. I used to just dump all the finished bullets into a container but the lube got all over everything. Maybe it wouldn't have been a problem with a hard lube, but I've still got many tubes of a softer Alox lube that I like and I prefer to use that. Each one of the tins weighs about 24lbs fully loaded. So far they seem to be holding up well. What prompted me to post was that I came across a bunch of those Danish butter cookies at a clearance sale and was debating whether to stock up. My waistline doesn't really need the cookies, but if it will give me more storage ability in the reloading room I'll make the sacrifice. [wink]
Got milk? I can come over to empty those bad boys. [laugh]

Got milk? I can come over to empty those bad boys. [laugh]

Fixxah, I've got milk and you're welcome anytime. You'd better make it quick, though....my son spotted the two tins I bought and made a valiant effort at emptying them. Between the two of us, one tin is dead and the other is severely wounded! [laugh]

wow, my first thought is how much do your containers full weight? don't want a hernia caused by bullets. a box of 500 is enough for me. i can see someone trying to pick up those cookie containers seeing if there is any cookies left, and being dumbfounded by the weight.

wow, my first thought is how much do your containers full weight? don't want a hernia caused by bullets. a box of 500 is enough for me. i can see someone trying to pick up those cookie containers seeing if there is any cookies left, and being dumbfounded by the weight.

[laugh2] After reading your post I was picturing the expression on someone's face if they went to pick one up....[smile] Actually, fully loaded, each one weighs about 24 pounds. From what I've seen, they sell those cookies in two different sized tins. Those are the deeper of the two. I have a few that are only about half the height of those. I try to match the height of the bullets to the tins so I can get the most layers in them. I have a limited amount of storage area in my reloading room, so I'm always looking for the best way to store things with the smallest footprint.

Plus, there's the added enjoyment of emptying the containers before I can reuse them! [wink]

Back
Top Bottom