• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storing Ammo in trunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been a lot of recent articles advocating "bug out bags" for disaster preparedness. They suggest keeping ammo in that bag and they also suggest storing the bag in the trunk of your car. Would this be a problem in the hotter months, I don't know exactly how hot it gets inside a trunk but I would imagine it could be an issue.

I know of someone (cough, cough) that found a missing magazine with some junk that had been in his trunk for almost 2 years. Not stored in any special container either. The ammo worked just fine at the range. I would not probably store a full case there, but a couple spare mags or boxes should be fine barring any legal issues. A ziplock freezer bag would help with any moisture issues.

Around here, I doubt it will ever get hot enough for this to be a serious concern. If you lived on the equator, and always parked your black car somewhere it would get full sun all day, then I might start to get worried.

Ziplocs or ammo cans with desiccants, and it should be fine.

I couldnt get google or wikipedia to give me a accurate responce for the combustion temperature of of gunpowder but my guess is if your in the car you'd be dead before the heat caused them to go off.

I couldnt get google or wikipedia to give me a accurate responce for the combustion temperature of of gunpowder but my guess is if your in the car you'd be dead before the heat caused them to go off.

The ammo is not going to go off, even at hot car temperatures.

Over time though in really hot environments, powder can deteriorate, though. For the most part it's not something to get worked up about.

-Mike

The ammo is not going to go off, even at hot car temperatures.

Over time though in really hot environments, powder can deteriorate, though. For the most part it's not something to get worked up about.

-Mike

so its a performance thing then? that makes sence so after exposure to long hot days its less reliable. i get ya

There have been a lot of recent articles advocating "bug out bags" for disaster preparedness. They suggest keeping ammo in that bag and they also suggest storing the bag in the trunk of your car. Would this be a problem in the hotter months, I don't know exactly how hot it gets inside a trunk but I would imagine it could be an issue.

We never had problems with any of our ammo cooking off when I was in Iraq, and it got to well over 130* in the shade. The operating temperature extremes for ammo far exceed the temperature extremes in which a human being can survive.

I would use a sealed container (surplus ammo can with gasket in good shape) with a desicant inside if I were going to store it for any real amount of time, especially if loaded in mags. Actually, more worried about mag starting to rust that brass cased ammo. Steel cased would be a bigger worry.

It is .38 special so it is not in mags. What I can do is shoot it every so often and just back fill as I buy more so it won't be there long enough to deteriorate.

Sounds like a plan. Just make sure to remove the ammo if you let anyone (unlicensed) borrow the car, or if you plan on being on school property for any reason.

Sounds like a plan. Just make sure to remove the ammo if you let anyone (unlicensed) borrow the car, or if you plan on being on school property for any reason.

Care to cite why remove it if on school property? AFAIK in MA you just cannot have a firearm on person unless you satisfy one of the exemptions...

In fact if you can place it in a locked range bag or container and the person who borrowed the car doesn't have access to the same that should be fine too right?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Care to cite why remove it if on school property? AFAIK in MA you just cannot have a firearm on person unless you satisfy one of the exemptions...

In fact if you can place it in a locked range bag or container and the person who borrowed the car doesn't have access to the same that should be fine too right?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

As it has been explained to me, both OC and ammunition have been rolled into the "other dangerous weapon" clause of MGL Ch. 269 Sect. 10(j). IANAL, though, so don't take what I say as gospel.

As it has been explained to me, both OC and ammunition have been rolled into the "other dangerous weapon" clause of MGL Ch. 269 Sect. 10(j). IANAL, though, so don't take what I say as gospel.

Carry is prohibited, possession is not...

MGL 269-10(j) said:
Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer, and notwithstanding any license obtained by him under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty, carries on his person a firearm as hereinafter defined, loaded or unloaded or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university...

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10

THe troops in Iraq and Afghanistan will literally CARPET an area of ground with ammo , IMO warmer round fire better, I have no idea why they do it, but yeah I wouldn't worry about the ammo going off in the trunk/in the sun(if thats your concern)

your only fear should be humidity...[grin]

Originally Posted by MGL 269-10(j)
Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer, and notwithstanding any license obtained by him under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty, carries on his person a firearm as hereinafter defined, loaded or unloaded or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university...

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10

..."without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of such elementary or secondary school, college or university"

So, in theory, the school committee or Superintendent of Schools could "deputize" someone to provide additional security should they deem it necessary.

Just keep in mind that ammunition that was shipped overseas has the expectation that it is going to be used in theater in the short term. They keep it in temperature controlled igloos while it's stateside. I think what drgrant said is correct.

B

I just disposed of some ammo the old fassion way(water damaged).......in the fire pit. It took a good minute or so before they went ssssppppsssspoof. I found a a box of 22lr in a 1982 citation and the box was probably older. all went bang.

I just disposed of some ammo the old fassion way(water damaged).......in the fire pit. It took a good minute or so before they went ssssppppsssspoof. I found a a box of 22lr in a 1982 citation and the box was probably older. all went bang.

sounds fun, but highly illegal lol....but still fun, I don't think I'd have the balls to toss a box of ammo into afire pit.

seriously ammo in a fire does little,
I see larger pops from burning pine.

Really? Got a citation for that?

It seems like he's operating under the assumption that "if it's fun, it has to be illegal in MA", and not actually saying that it's against the law. I hope.

And yes, bullatz + firepit = the most fun you can have with safety glasses and a cup on.

Really? Got a citation for that?

"SOUNDS fun, but highly illegal", meaning it sounds fun, but also sounds like it could be highly illegal.

I really couldn't say if it is legal or not.

But go ahead and throw some ammo into a fire in the Metrowest area and see where that gets you [wink]

but seriously, the only place I would try doing that is at a range, otherwise it sounds like a free stay at the Iron Bar Inn, I know if I started dumping .22 into a bonfire in Natick the cops would be breaking down my door within minutes

Last edited:
MA gun laws are hard enough to understand without people making stuff up. Unless you know the law, please don't say that X is legal or Y is illegal - people may actually think that you know what you are talking about.

MA gun laws are hard enough to understand without people making stuff up. Unless you know the law, please don't say that X is legal or Y is illegal - people may actually think that you know what you are talking about.

do you seriously believe that throwing ammo in a fire is legal in MA?

use a little logic, any police will arrest you for it. that I know 100%, even if the rounds don't fire off, There's a slew of charges they'll slap you with so fast your head will spin.

It's an automatic endangerment to public because the round can go off and hit somebody, and I'm sure any cop can find 10 more good reasons to arrest you on the spot.

and above all else, its stupid, dangerous, and a wast of money.

use a little logic, any police will arrest you for it. that I know 100%, even if the rounds don't fire off, There's a slew of charges they'll slap you with so fast your head will spin.

It's an automatic endangerment to public because the round can go off and hit somebody, and I'm sure any cop can find 10 more good reasons to arrest you on the spot.

and above all else, its stupid, dangerous, and a wast of money.

aw_jeez.jpg

Do you have any actual LAWS you can cite for this, or is it just "common sense"? "use a little logic," a cop is supposed to know what law you're breaking before arresting you. [rolleyes]

As for the round going "off and hit somebody"... FAIL. That little fallacy is straight from Hollywood, not real life.

It's an automatic endangerment to public because you cant control the direction of the bullet, and I'm sure any cop can find 10 more good reasons to arrest you on the spot.
Once again, unless you can offer a citation, please do not say that X is legal or Y is illegal. MA gun laws are very difficult to understand as it is without people making stuff up.

It is reasonable to say "I would recommend against doing X, because of A, B, and C." That is very different from saying that "X is illegal" and that distinction is very important.

For example, it is incorrect and misleading to say "Transporting an uncased pump shotgun on the seat of your car is illegal." It isn't. See MGL Chapter 140 Section 131c: http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

It is quite reasonable to say "I recommend against carrying an uncased pump shotgun on the seat of your car because if you get stopped for a traffic violation the responding officer may not know the details of the laws (specifically MGL Chapter 140 Section 131c)."

The former is an incorrect and misleading statement. The later is a defensible opinion that different people can agree or disagree with, and readers can understand both the law and people's different views of legal risk associated with particular behavior.

It is reasonable to say that "I would recommend against throwing bullets into a fire because if the police responded they might find (or make up) something to charge you with, or simply decide that you are not suitable and pull your LTC." That is a reasonable statement to make and, in fact, something that I agree with.

It is not reasonable to say "throwing bullets into a fire is illegal" without backing it up with a citation.

Is throwing bullets into a fire stupid? Sure. Dangerous? Not very, actually (see the Mythbusters episode). Something your police department might take a dim view of if they know about it? Probably, but given all the fireworks that I hear go off in our neighborhood near July 4th, I doubt they would actually respond unless something bad happened.

Finally, please read what I have written carefully and understand that there is an important distinction between what I recommend doing (or not doing) versus what I believe the law to be. If you are incapable of drawing that distinction, then please stop commenting on the law.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom