Stores with powder in Mass?

Chuck

NES Member
Hi,

Got the hankering to reload something new, low recoil 30-30. Anyone know a store in Mass (central or South Eastern preferred) that has variety of bullets, brass, and powder: Trail Boss or H4985?

thanks,
Chuck

Last edited:
Pinch of unique under a cast bullet does wonders.

I've got that in one of my manuals. It's the "pinch" that gives me pause. With Trail Boss you fill the case because its so fluffy -- no chance of a double charge without noticing it overflowing. Still, I might try it once I find some bullets and brass.

Last edited:
Unique is pretty fluffy though.
When I was done loading 12 grains in a 45/70 I swapped the powder out for H4198 and dropped a charge to see how close it was to the 31 grains listed for a trap door load.
Come to find out it’s the same volume for 12 grains of unique as it is for 30 grains of H4198

If you’re careful and loading single stage. Checking your batch with a flashlight to make sure the powder is all the same level then you’re good to go.

Outback Arms in Plympton always has a good powder selection. Can't be sure if they have the flavors you seek, give them a ring before taking the trip.

Now that we’re on the subject of bullets you could always come to the Darkside and cast your own. $.14 would be enough money to cast a couple dozen bullets if you do it right

Andrew I’m going to get you to turn to the Darkside one of these days

...low recoil 30-30. powder: Trail Boss or H4985?...

I've been using the Lyman 311008 (a .32-20 bullet actually - bottom pic, left) sized to .308/.309" diameter. Virtually any pistol powder will work. I've used anywhere from 6 to 9 grains of most powders like W452AA. W773AA, W231, Unique, etc. There are several flat nose molds for the .30-30 around 150 to 170 grains, but there's no reason you can't use other blunt nose bullets (110g FMJ /130g M1 Carbine bullet - Lyman 311410, for instance). If you load single shot or 1+1 in your tubular magazine, you could even load pointed bullets.
Like Andrew said, see Norm in NM (prices per 100, cast and coated):
30 cal Rifle - 150gr GCFP $10.35 $10.60
30 Cal Rifle – 170gr GCSil $10.85 $11.10
30 cal Rifle – 180gr GCFP $11.15 $11.40
30 cal Rifle – 200gr GCSP $11.80 $12.05
303 British – 200gr GCSP $11.80 $12.05
32/20 – 115gr RNFP bb $6.00 $6.25

Not .30-30, but the same principle applies...
2zZDXnL.jpg

4pj2pvO.jpg

Last edited:
If you're heading to Foxwoods, stop by and try some alternate .30-30 fodder (18g plastic riot bullets, to .22 LR sabots).
I'm between Foxwoods and the RI line. 100 meters onsite.

niX9GYWm.jpg
7blkudTm.jpg

Last edited:
110g FMJ /130g M1 Carbine bullet
I've seen folks talk about using those "little" boolits with 30-30, but wonder about the need to crimp with a lever gun. Sure the whole idea is I want little recoil, but still there is some and the spring of the tube magazine pressing on them. Do you crimp into a lead bullet without a cannelure, or Lee Factory Crimp?

If I sound like a noob its because I am when it comes to rifle bullets. So far I've only reloaded for bullseye; thousands of 45 and lots of 38 Special.

Thanks for the tips and ideas folks!

Glenn’s ammo and reloading in N. Reading might have what you’re looking for. He’s got a good supply of components for a MA shop.

Aside from him, you could try Shooters Outpost in Hooksett or Al’s gun shop in Derry? I realize they’re not in MA but figured it’s worth mentioning.

I've seen folks talk about using those "little" boolits with 30-30, but wonder about the need to crimp with a lever gun. Sure the whole idea is I want little recoil, but still there is some and the spring of the tube magazine pressing on them. Do you crimp into a lead bullet without a cannelure, or Lee Factory Crimp?

Yes definitely.

And remember you are not supposed to use spire point bullets in tube mags either because (in theory) the recoil could cause the point to set off the primer of the cartridge in front of it and chain fire.

For accurate loadings, I use 150gr Sierra FP with 35.3gr of LeverEvolution and 150gr Hornady RN with 35.2gr of LeverEvolution.

Glenns has a wide selection of powders, primers, bullets, brass, pretty much everything.

Hi,

Got the hankering to reload something new, low recoil 30-30. Anyone know a store in Mass (central or South Eastern preferred) that has variety of bullets, brass, and powder: Trail Boss or H4985?

thanks,
Chuck

Another for Shooting Supply in Westport, MA. Best gun shop around and have all you need for reloading.

There's minimal impact with these reduced loads, so I doubt there will be any bullet movement under recoil or via magazine spring strength. Without a cannelure or crimp groove, there is no place to roll the mouth of the case, but into the bullet itself. I simply remove the decap stem and kiss the mouth with the sizing die and essentially do a taper crimp to restore any flare used to assist in seating the bullet.
Short bullets may not feed in all lever guns due to lift gate functioning and such. You'll have to sample different COLs for best results.
As for pointed bullets, only single shot or 1+1 to be safe (probably best to avoid non-standard bullets, in case someone unlearned picks them up and loads them into the tube...or get a 340 or 788 with box magazines).
Some swap meets can yield discounted powders, if available to you.

Last edited:

If I sound like a noob its because I am when it comes to rifle bullets. So far I've only reloaded for bullseye; thousands of 45 and lots of 38 Special.

Thanks for the tips and ideas folks!
as for reduced loads i am running a ranchdog "30-30" bullet . this mold SC311 165Gr. RF 2 cavity GC (RD), NOE Bullet Moulds
with Trailboss and 2400 and also some H4895 reduced loads.
As for crimp. I do pretty much as Navel Officer does on my light loads and just kiss the crimp enough to remove the slight flare i use.
I run most of my lead reduced loads through the 1903a3. I have loaded some 30/30 for a friend and they are cream puffs with the Trailboss.

It sounds like all of you MA reloaders should do a group buy. Many of the suppliers have deals on hazmat and such. Some offer Noble Sport powders which give you 1.1 pounds for less than most other 1 pounders. Good luck.
I know I'm too far away, but I have acquired a few dozen canisters of older powders : BL-C(2), IMR 4198, Unique, Clays, etc. I've used many old powders without issue, but I can't guarantee they provide optimal performance. Come down and talk to me...reload and shoot onsite.

Back
Top Bottom