• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Store handguns at Licensed Family Member's House

Hi Guys,

I had a question on the legality of storing several handguns and long guns at my parent's house. All of my firearms are legally owned and registered and I myself am a valid permit holder. Both my mother and father have permits in CT and the guns will be stored with their own firearms in a locked safe, separate from any ammunition (in another room in a different safe) and no firearms or ammunition are accessible to kids or visitors at any time. My parents live by themselves in their own home.

I have been over any of the laws I've found regarding storage and possession of firearms without finding anything that would lead me to believe there was anything wrong with this arrangement but would like to run it by others for a second opinion.

Thanks,

As long as neither of them were prohibited persons, you would be fine.

If they did not have a pistol permits, they could still carry them loaded around their house.
The guns don't need to be "registered". Since CT doesn't have registration.
And no transfer needs to be done to them. Just drop them off.

They do not need to be locked.
They do not need to be stored unloaded.
The ammo does not need to be locked up.

Hows that? i.e. bring the guns over, hand them to them and say think you. Done.

It doesn't make any difference.

If he's a MA resident with a CT nonres permit, he can still just bring them to his parents house.

**edit **Actually now that I'm thinking about it, even if the OP had only a MA LTC, he would still be legal to bring them to his parents house. FOPA would protect him during transit and he, or his parents could lawfully possess them without any kind of permit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom