• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Store Clerk Shot in Fitchburg

This one's just bizarre, and this guy is just lucky to be alive. And, judging from the tone in the Sentinel in stories of the last three gun-related incidents in Leominster/Fitchburg, I'm beginning to think things are getting a little too laid back around here!

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/ci_4019530

Robber shoots veteran
By Jonathan Graham
Sentinel & Enterprise

FITCHBURG -- Fitchburg resident Paul Caputi, 41, said he initially experienced a quiet night on Wednesday during his first shift as a clerk at Boomtown Variety.

Then a masked robber walked into the Main Street store, armed with a gun.

"I looked up, and there was a guy standing there with an AK-47," said Caputi, who sports a tattoo of a tiger on his right arm. "I think I said, 'That ain't real.' I thought it was a joke."

But Caputi said the reality of the situation hit home when the armed suspect drew back the bolt of the gun, putting a bullet in the chamber.

"I reached over and grabbed the muzzle of the barrel, and we struggled a little bit," Caputi said. "And apparently he won."

Caputi suffered a laceration on his hand when the armed suspect shot one round during the early Wednesday struggle at the store.

"It felt like someone cut me and put the inside of my hand on fire," he said.

Sgt. Glenn C. Fossa described the weapon used in the assault as a semi-automatic "hunting-type rifle," but Caputi said he is convinced it looked more like an assault weapon, such as an AK-47 or SK-47.

Fossa said police do not have any suspects in the robbery, which occurred a little after 2:30 a.m., Wednesday.

Caputi said the robber started for the door with the money, but then turned back to the counter and asked for a pack of Newport cigarettes.

"So I reached over and got it for him," Caputi said.

The suspect made off with about $250 and the pack of cigarettes in the robbery, Fossa said.

A man armed with a knife attempted to rob the store last December, but an employee pushed him out of the store.

The state police canine unit searched without success for the suspect Wednesday morning, Fossa said.

Police are examining some evidence at the scene, as well as the possibility the suspect used a vehicle in the robbery, Fossa said.

Caputi said the robber wore a black-and-white "Scream" mask, made famous by the horror movie of the same name.

The armed suspect is described as 5-feet-5-inches tall, wearing black jeans and a brown coat.

Caputi, who stands 6-feet-5-inches tall, said he nearly managed to grab the gun.

"I really thought I had that rifle," he said.

But he said the counter between himself and the suspect "messed him up" and prevented him from getting a firm hold of the weapon.

Caputi said the suspect seemed stunned after shooting Caputi in the hand.

"He asked me why I did that," Caputi said. "I think I scared him more than he scared me."

Caputi said no one ever shot him before, despite the fact he served in the Marine Corps from 1983 to 1987, and fought in the Gulf War as a reserve. He only saw one day of combat in that time, when he came under artillery fire.

"I got a little scared when the round went off," Caputi said of Wednesday's shooting. "All I thought was, 'I hope he didn't shoot me.'"

Caputi's wife, Pamela, a registered nurse, cared for his injured hand at his home Wednesday afternoon.

"I don't even want to look at it," Caputi said while she took off his bloodied bandage. "It's all ripped up."

She washed the wound with water, making sure to not bend Caputi's wrist, which he said struck the counter in his attempt to grab the gun.

Caputi said after the armed suspect left the store, he immediately called the police and waited for their arrival.

"I don't know if there was a getaway car or not, because all I could think about was the blood gushing out of my hand," he said.

Fossa said police do not encourage people to do what Caputi did.

"Police never recommend individuals taking action where there's immediate danger," Fossa said. "It was a brave choice for the clerk, and we're glad he's OK, but the police don't endorse or condone his actions."

Caputi said he does not know whether he would make the same decision to grab the gun if he could replay the whole incident.

"You start to think, 'I'm not going to let this guy shoot me," said Caputi. "I wouldn't recommend what I did to anybody. I don't know if what I did was stupid or lucky."

"I know the Marine Corps would never recommend it," he later added.

"I know the Marine Corps would never recommend it," he later added.
Nope. But they do recommend being situationally aware while you are a high profile target in a bad area. [rolleyes]

At the risk of Monday morning quarterbacking, I don't think he was close enough to the robber to enjoy good odds of successfully grabbing that rifle.

Thank goodness he wasn't more seriously injured.

Cross-X said:
At the risk of Monday morning quarterbacking, I don't think he was close enough to the robber to enjoy good odds of successfully grabbing that rifle.

I'm still blown away that he and the perp were still laid back and cordial enough that he handed the shooter a pack of Newports after the shooter paused on his way out the door and asked for them.

Cross-X said:

+1

Everybody around my neighborhood always seemed laid back when I was living in Lemin-stah. I'm thinking I would probably NOT grab the rifle. It isn't worth getting shot over $250 and a pack of cigs if you ask me.

Nashmack said:
It isn't worth getting shot over $250 and a pack of cigs if you ask me.

Especially when it's not even your money!

Just hand it over, obey their commands and give them what they want. If they try to take you as a hostage... Well then all bets are off!

Well, they caught the perps, and holy crap, they were from New Ipswich, NH, the next town over from where I work! The cops were right about the gun too -- it was a Mini-14, not an AK47 like the clerk said.

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/ci_4023856

Judge sets $500K bail for suspects
By Jonathan Graham
Sentinel & Enterprise

FITCHBURG -- A district court judge ordered two men held on $500,000 bail Thursday on charges connected with the armed robbery of a Main Street convenience store and shooting of the clerk.

Police allege the suspects robbed $250 from Boomtown Variety at about 2:30 a.m., Wednesday, and one of them -- police have not identified who -- shot the clerk's hand after he attempted to grab the gun, a Mini-14, a high-capacity rifle.

The judge also ordered one of the two men, Tyson E. Chalke, 21, of New Ipswich, N.H., held on $500,000 bail in connection with the armed robbery of the Castleway Market on Mechanic Street, which occurred Monday afternoon.

Police said the suspects in both robberies wore masks.

Paul Caputi, the store clerk shot at Boomtown Variety, said after the hearing he recognized one of the two men's voices when they spoke to the judge.

"I recognized the voice when he said, 'Yes sir, I understand,'" Caputi said. "I recognize the voice as the same one that told me to, "Give me all the money.'

"It was the exact same voice, I recognize it to a T," Caputi said.

District Court Judge Andrew Mandell allowed both suspects to remain in an abutting room rather then enter the courtroom for their arraignment.

Attorneys for Chalke and co-defendant Nicholas Greuter, 31, also of New Ipswich, N.H., requested the special arrangement because Caputi attended the hearing.

"With the alleged victim sitting in the courtroom today ... that could be a very real issue at a trial down the road," said Chalke's court-appointed attorney, Kevin Larson of Holden.

The two suspects and Mandell conversed via shouts after the clerk read their charges.

Caputi said he didn't like Mandell's decision to allow the suspects to stay out of the courtroom.

"I'm upset, the judge shouldn't have let them hide their faces," Caputi said.

Police arrested Chalke and Greuter when an officer stopped their car for an inspection sticker violation, Capt. Phillip J. Kearns said.

The officer had also seen the car near the Boomtown Variety store earlier in the evening, Kearns said.

Police originally arrested Chalke for in-town and out-of-town warrants, and arrested Greuter for the alleged possession of a small amount of crack cocaine.

Assistant District Attorney David Feraco said Chalke and Greuter ditched the rifle used in the Boomtown Variety shooting in between the robbery and their arrest.

A resident found the weapon and gave it to police, Feraco said.

Police charged Greuter and Chalke with armed and masked robbery, possession of a firearm, possession of a large-capacity firearm, armed assault to rob, conspiracy to commit armed robbery, discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling, and assault and battery with a firearm, in connection with the Boomtown Variety robbery

Police also charged Chalke with armed robbery, possession of a sawed-off shotgun, assault with the intent to rob, and use of a motor vehicle in cause of a felony, in connection with the Castleway Market armed robbery.

Kearns said police connected Chalke to the Castleway Market robbery after Officer Steven Giannini Tuesday spotted a black pickup truck parked on Albee Street, similar to the one described in that armed robbery.

Kearns said police found a sawed-off shotgun, as well as other evidence, in the truck when they obtained a search warrant for the vehicle on Wednesday.

Kearns said the evidence further connected Chalke to the Castleway Market robbery.

Kearns lauded police officers' efforts to find the two suspects.

Police do not have a second suspect in the Castleway robbery yet in custody, Kearns said.

The suspects' attorneys did not fight the bail amount requested by prosecutors, saying they have not yet had the opportunity to see all the police reports.

Larson said the defendants may revisit bail based on those reports.

That clerk was in a tough, tough situation. If he felt he was going to die, he had to do whatever he could to save himself.

Sometimes it's not enough to hand over all the money in the till.

A NES member and Relitive of the owner of the Store. Is know working there parttime (graveyard shift). Lets just say he is working all ALP!

I was talking to BillK last night and he said the bullet trough the clerks hand and hit the safe!! it dented the safe he said he is going to have pics soon.

The clerk that got shot wanted to go back to work the next day!
dam crazy Marine.

Bill K was not the one shot

Last edited:
tele_mark said:
I'm still blown away that he and the perp were still laid back and cordial enough that he handed the shooter a pack of Newports after the shooter paused on his way out the door and asked for them.

No kidding.

SiameseRat said:
Wow that guy's tough. Grabs a gun, gets shot in the hand and then goes home? [hmmm]

No kidding (again!).

MrTwigg said:
I'm soooooo glad I moved out of Fitchburg !!!

Imagine moving there?

Coyote33 said:
Imagine moving there?

If you're living / working there I don't mean to disparage you or your hometown. Some folks are comfortable liviing with conflict and crime. I've lived on 108th St in Corona N.Y.C. when I was younger, I lived in an SRO on Oread St in Worcester for six months when I was transferred to this state 17 years ago, and my house in Fitchburg was one block from Daniel's St.

Living with conflict gets tiring. I'm semi-retired and raising a family now. I wanted my boy to grow up without having his toys stolen out of the yard every day. I wanted my wife to be able to come home and not be afraid to walk the ten feet from the driveway to the kitchen door.

But can I imagine moving there ? Nope. Not for a million, billion, trillion, gazillion dollars.

reinbeau said:
Wait a minute, that store clerk was a NES Member, BillK? How'd I miss that?? [shocked]

NO NO NO NO
Billk is working there part time. His Uncle owns the store along with a dozen or so other business in the area. he knows the guy who got shoot.

they have two clerks at night, one of them has a P99

Bad area I was at that store about 2 months ago with Bill and we noticed a
used ciringe in an area that he cleared out.

He tried for twenty min to call the cops on the non emergency line and there was no answer. he wanted the cops to dispose of the cringe .
We ended up driving to Fitchburg PD on Elm st and they wanted us to put it in a bottle and trow it away. BS
Bill ask to see a supervisor

jwilson said:
NO NO NO NO
Billk is working there part time. His Uncle owns the store along with a dozen or so other business in the area. he knows the guy who got shoot.

they have two clerks at night, one of them has a P99

Bad area I was at that store about 2 months ago with Bill and we noticed a
used ciringe in an area that he cleared out.

He tried for twenty min to call the cops on the non emergency line and there was no answer. he wanted the cops to dispose of the cringe.
We ended up driving to Fitchburg PD on Elm st and they wanted us to put it in a bottle and trow it away. BS
Bill ask to see a supervisor

Are you trying to say syringe??? As in "I use a syringe to inject my insulin"???

I don't mean to slam you on this, but holy shit!...Are you catching this, Ross?!

Like I've said, they've been picking on the weak and easy, but with the amount of LTC-ALP's being passed out around here, it's only a matter of time before the scum pull the short straw. After that, whether it's handled like Boston or Florida by the legal system is what will be the big question.

Cross-X said:
Hey, Mr. Reppucci, did you just bump off our Resident Grammarian, the one and only DWarven1?

If not, you better watch your asterisk! (grin)

I would never do such a thing to Ross! However, in his brief absence from the forum, I felt it quite necessary to acknowledge the egregious spelling errors (twice for the same word) made by jwilson.

Cross-X said:
Hey, Mr. Reppucci, did you just bump off our Resident Grammarian, the one and only DWarven1?

If not, you better watch your asterisk! (grin)
Heck, no! Dave is my Deputy Grammarian! [smile]

dreppucci007 said:
I would never do such a thing to Ross! However, in his brief absence from the forum, I felt it quite necessary to acknowledge the egregious spelling errors (twice for the same word) made by jwilson.

Is it the same problem as last time, he's having troble making bail?

Back
Top Bottom