• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storage options for ammo and reloading supplies

I've read thru many of the posts and links regarding proper ammo storage. I've recently started reloading so I have supplies of commercial rounds, bullets, cases, primers and powder. The majority of my commercial ammo is stored in a safe. However with the relaoding supplies and my every increasing "arsenal" I need to consider other options. What do you guys do? Large locked closets? Larger safes? I'm honeslty not too overly concerned with empty cases... too many of them to lock up and local ranges seem to have them lying around by the buckets so I can't imagine that's too much of a problem.

I have a safe for my firearms storage weighs 400lbs empty paid $700 for it at Riley's in hookset nothing fancy but it wotks.
going to look into some steamer trunks for ammo storage and reloading supplies. we have a big lots near by I'll check there

Mine are scattered in various containers around my loading/gun room. Ammo is in either old ammo boxed, cardboard boxes, or military cans. Powder is in its own bottles. Primers are stacked in storage drawers. And bullet boxes are stacked along the back of the main bench.

Some of the ammo is already in clips (M1) and magazines (AR-15) just in case.

I have one of those big metal storage cabinets I copped from work. It locks, but I don't bother.

I put the brass, powder, primers, extra presses and whatever else. There is a ton of room in there.

Bob

Nice stuff but here's what was posted on their website:

• Do not put fuels, flammables, explosives or
hazardous materials inside these products.
• Gasoline, solvents, gun powder or other munitions,
dynamite, propane, acetylene or other
such products can explode if stored inside
these products.
• Use these products ONLY for storing and
transporting electric or hand tools and
equipment, and other similar materials.
• Failure to follow these warnings or modification
or other uses of these products could result in
death, serious injury or property damage.

Nice stuff but here's what was posted on their website:

• Do not put fuels, flammables, explosives or
hazardous materials inside these products.
• Gasoline, solvents, gun powder or other munitions,
dynamite, propane, acetylene or other
such products can explode if stored inside
these products.
• Use these products ONLY for storing and
transporting electric or hand tools and
equipment, and other similar materials.
• Failure to follow these warnings or modification
or other uses of these products could result in
death, serious injury or property damage.

i disagee, this is merely a liability issue for them.
theres no fundamental difference between a lock box and any other metal cabinet you may use.
the only reason i can think of that it might be an issue is that they may be airtight, in which case its nothing that a power drill and 3/8's bit wouldnt easily solve

I keep a buttload of ammo and magazines in a 60 gallon stanley rolling tollbox
thing (locks with padlocks) and it hasnt exploded yet. [grin]

Another option is you could collect some cheap gun cabinets, build wooden
shelves in them and use them for ammo only. Some guys I know that
graduate out of a gun cabinet to a safe end up using the cabinets for
ammo storage.

-Mike

Another option is you could collect some cheap gun cabinets, build wooden shelves in them and use them for ammo only.
This works well. Just keep your eyes peeled for a moving sale. Doesn't have to be a gun cabinet, anything secure.

005Cabinet.jpg

006Cabinet.jpg

I use a good quality locking filing cabinet that I bought at an auction for $10.
I used to work for a law firm that was giving away fireproof 4 drawer lateral cabinets... man I really missed the boat on that one.

foot lockers work well.i have two,i use one for loaded ammo and the other to store powder,primers and bullets.like said before they dont scream gun related stuff.not that any theif would reload their own ammo but keeps things on the down low.

I keep primers in their boxes,not loose in a jar or can.and i do not store them with powders for safety reasons. i don't want to burn the house down.

Remember that smokeless power should never be stored in any container or device that will contain pressure. Smokeless powder that becomes ignited will, at standard temperature and pressure, burn very rapidly but nowhere near the rate that it does in confined space. (The concept I'm trying to express is that unconfined, smokeless burns but confined, it explodes. This isn't technically consonant with the definition of "explosion," but the point is valid.)

Back
Top Bottom