Storage of out-of state owned firearms

Cross-X said:
PS Let me know when you finish law school and have been admitted to the bar.

Heheh.
We can agree to disagree. I don't have to go to law school to apply the law. Where I have to apply the law every day, I try to boil it down to see if it fits. If I apply it, you get more work[wink]

Had a lawyer blow past me on the expressway doing 85 one morning. Pulled him over and he proceeded to tell me since I was not a State Police Officer I had no right or jurisdictions to pull him over on a state highway. [Game show buzzer sound] Wrong answer, thanks for playing! I handed him his parting gift and sent him on his merry way.

JonJ said:
We can agree to disagree. I don't have to go to law school to apply the law. Where I have to apply the law every day, I try to boil it down to see if it fits. If I apply it, you get more work[wink]

Yeah, cops apply the law on the street, and then lawyers for both sides clean it up in court. No one gets it right every time. [smile]

Last edited:
I have a Biker friend that's a Public Defender up my way. He's still got my R80 BMW that I traded in 1988. He makes sure to stay well under the speed limits, since he knows if he's stopped, he WILL get the ticket.

Nickle said:
I have a Biker friend that's a Public Defender up my way. He's still got my R80 BMW that I traded in 1988. He makes sure to stay well under the speed limits, since he knows if he's stopped, he WILL get the ticket.
Actually, most cops I know get along with most attorneys. It's all a game and as long as everyone remembers that, it's cool.

Cross-X said:
PS Let me know when you finish law school and have been admitted to the bar.

Heheh.

Hell, even Derek and C-pher have been "admitted to the bar" . . . in fact, several of them! [laugh2] [rofl]

And the only time they have been "disbarred" is when they fell off the stool! A frequent occurrence I suspect! [devil] [rofl2]

Jon, if you know our roads, you understand the temptation to get in trouble on a bike can run pretty high. I learned to stay in the "Socially Responsible Speed Zone", also known as the area between the speed limit and a sure ticket.

LenS said:
Hell, even Derek and C-pher have been "admitted to the bar" . . . in fact, several of them! [laugh2] [rofl]

And the only time they have been "disbarred" is when they fell off the stool! A frequent occurrence I suspect! [devil] [rofl2]

C-pher, watch out!

They are lumping you in with Derek again. They must think you have shit on your shoes or something.

Last edited:
Cross-X said:
C-pher, watch out!

They are lumping you in with Derek again. They must think you have shit on your shoes or something.

Damn, every time I turn my back in this joint I'm getting chucked under the bus.

LenS said:
Jon,

This is a technique that Ron Glidden has been espousing in his seminars since 1998 to indeed get around the List and AG Regs. He addresses it specifically wrt family and especially those that want to will the guns to the younger generation.

Jon, MGL is basically made up of "what you can NOT do", things that are illegal, and process/procedure to issue "permission slips" (licenses) and associated fees/taxes. MGL does NOT tell you "what you can do legally"!

So, asking an attorney to point out in the law where it says that you CAN give something to someone to "hold it" for you is basically a foreign concept to MGL.

Also, I think that both attorneys here are kind of warning you that IF you call CHSB and raise the visibility of this procedure, you may stir up a hornet's nest and the net result well could be a law or CMR that EXPRESSLY FORBIDS this procedure!! I look at doing that as akin to calling the AG and asking him if it's OK to buy bullets/ammo/powder from Vendor X because Vendor X told you that it is perfectly legal for you to purchase thru him under Fed Law and the Interstate Commerce Clause . . . what do YOU think the result of such an inquiry would be? [Why do we edit posts here that mention vendors names who will still ship to MA?]

Sounds like fearmongering to me. Ask the officials what the answer is. That is their job.

What I wonder is if you can borrow someone else's gun for a while (hour, day, week, month, whatever) without them being present as long as you both are MA residents with proper LTC.

Last edited:
Cross-X said:
Still, no problem. Storage, use, whatever you want, short of owning it.

Then, who says that some group of maybe 10 people can't get together and have an exchange program so they can take turns using one or another at various times, as long as they are all properly licensed and all guns are "registered" to one or another of them? It sounds a little off, but who knows. Sort of like a lending library or something. Uh, ...???

Coyote33 said:
Then, who says that some group of maybe 10 people can't get together and have an exchange program so they can take turns using one or another at various times, as long as they are all properly licensed and all guns are "registered" to one or another of them? It sounds a little off, but who knows. Sort of like a lending library or something. Uh, ...???

Great, you and nine friends can be the test case. I'll even cut you a bit of a break on the cost of legal defense.

Does one need any documental prove that the gun was borrowed from the lawful owner? Otherwise how does cop know that the gun wasn’t stolen?

JackO said:
Does one need any documental prove that the gun was borrowed from the lawful owner? Otherwise how does cop know that the gun wasn’t stolen?

Docs can be forged. Not a sufficient substitute for positive confirmation that the firearm is on loan from the true owner.

Cross-X said:
Great, you and nine friends can be the test case. I'll even cut you a bit of a break on the cost of legal defense.
Does that mean "you're in"?

(No thanks, just supposin'.)

JackO said:
A check of the serial through NCIC will show if it's stolen and at this time, that's the only info that the cop on the street would be able to get.

Key words are USED TO.

You can borrow a gun from me (personal gun, free), if you don't mind lugging around a 9 plus pound semi-auto (M14). I can find you a guide. And I'm not guaranteeing a damned thing.

Nickle said:
Key words are USED TO.

You can borrow a gun from me (personal gun, free), if you don't mind lugging around a 9 plus pound semi-auto (M14). I can find you a guide. And I'm not guaranteeing a damned thing.

You mean I might have to tramp around in the frigid woods for days and days, following a guide, and still get no deer? No fair, no fair!

It's definitely one of my favorites. Personally, I use my AK or Dragunov in the woods.

I just can't justify buying a rifle JUST for hunting, when I've got perfectly functional rifles already.

Besides, I revel in being NON-PC.

Back
Top Bottom