Storage Fees Bonded gun shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost my license forever, my firearms were turned over to a local gun shop, I got a letter from them yesterday post marked February 3rd though the actual letter is dated January 21st(seems shady) I’m pretty much getting the run around from this guy. I’m trying to transfer over to someone else. Does the shop start charging storage fees after your notified or do they start the day they actually get them? I can’t see paying storage fees when I was unaware that this specific shop obtained them from the police. Seems like he’s trying to squeeze everything he can out of me for fees, starting with the false date on the letter and post mark from 3 days ago.

UPDATE 02/09/2021

i encourage everyone to completely read through the entire thread but I just want to let everyone know that I did get to meet with John the owner of J&S guns today. We resolved the matter and he seemed like a good guy, we had a great conversation and when I left I felt much better about the whole thing. He was also very fair as far as the fees go-HE ONLY CHARGED ME FOR TRANSFERRING THE FIREARMS AND DROPPED THE OTHER FEES because of the way everything had gone down-that’s a classy move in my book.

Last edited:
I lost my license forever, my firearms were turned over to a local gun shop, I got a letter from them yesterday post marked February 3rd though the actual letter is dated January 21st(seems shady) I’m pretty much getting the run around from this guy. I’m trying to transfer over to someone else. Does the shop start charging storage fees after your notified or do they start the day they actually get them? I can’t see paying storage fees when I was unaware that this specific shop obtained them from the police. Seems like he’s trying to squeeze everything he can out of me for fees, starting with the false date on the letter and post mark from 3 days ago.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your constitutionally enumerated right.

1) Who's the shop?

2) what kind of run-around? I don't really have any answers here but a legal beagle might be around shortly with suggestions if you have some additional details.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your constitutionally enumerated right.

1) Who's the shop?

2) what kind of run-around? I don't really have any answers here but a legal beagle might be around shortly with suggestions if you have some additional details.
I went there yesterday, they told me to call back around 5pm. I called them and it went straight to the answering machine. I stopped by in person today-they had a line out the door and the owner said call me Monday I’m too busy right now. I said well I’m available any time on Monday and I wanted to set up an appointment however he still just kept saying to call him Monday.... I’m getting bad juju from this guy starting with the false dates on the letter.

Are you in MA?

Send the written notice ASAP.

Section 129D. Upon revocation, suspension or denial of an application for a firearm identification card pursuant to section 129B or for any firearms license if the firearm identification card is not then in force or for any machine gun license, the person whose application was so revoked, suspended or denied shall without delay deliver or surrender to the licensing authority where the person resides all firearms, rifles, shotguns and machine guns and ammunition which the person then possesses unless an appeal of the revocation or suspension is pending. The person or the person's legal representative shall have the right, at any time up to 1 year after the delivery or surrender, to transfer the firearms, rifles, shotguns and machine guns and ammunition to any licensed dealer or any other person legally permitted to purchase or take possession of the firearms, rifles, shotguns and machine guns and ammunition and, upon notification in writing by the purchaser or transferee and the former owner, the licensing authority shall within 10 days deliver the firearms, rifles, shotguns and machine guns and ammunition to the transferee or purchaser and the licensing authority shall observe due care in the receipt and holding of any such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun and ammunition; provided, however, that the purchaser or transferee shall affirm in writing that the purchaser or transferee shall not in violation of section 129C transfer the firearms, rifles, shotguns or machine guns or ammunition to the former owner.

Are you in MA?

Send the written notice ASAP.

Section 129D. Upon revocation, suspension or denial of an application for a firearm identification card pursuant to section 129B or for any firearms license if the firearm identification card is not then in force or for any machine gun license, the person whose application was so revoked, suspended or denied shall without delay deliver or surrender to the licensing authority where the person resides all firearms, rifles, shotguns and machine guns and ammunition which the person then possesses unless an appeal of the revocation or suspension is pending. The person or the person's legal representative shall have the right, at any time up to 1 year after the delivery or surrender, to transfer the firearms, rifles, shotguns and machine guns and ammunition to any licensed dealer or any other person legally permitted to purchase or take possession of the firearms, rifles, shotguns and machine guns and ammunition and, upon notification in writing by the purchaser or transferee and the former owner, the licensing authority shall within 10 days deliver the firearms, rifles, shotguns and machine guns and ammunition to the transferee or purchaser and the licensing authority shall observe due care in the receipt and holding of any such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun and ammunition; provided, however, that the purchaser or transferee shall affirm in writing that the purchaser or transferee shall not in violation of section 129C transfer the firearms, rifles, shotguns or machine guns or ammunition to the former owner.
So it seems as though I should get some paperwork written up and signed ( notary public just in case) and have it delivered certified mail? That should cover me and hold his feet to the fire?

So it seems as though I should get some paperwork written up and signed ( notary public just in case) and have it delivered certified mail? That should cover me and hold his feet to the fire?

Joint notice by transferor (you) and transferee (your buddy or an honest FFL) to the PD that confiscated your property, cc the bonded warehouse.

The notice needs to include that second part about the transferee affirming the property will not be transferred back to you. Affirm under the penalties of perjury, and notarize the document.

Send by certified mail and first class US mail. If you can get it served by contstable to the bonded warehouse, even better.

upon notification in writing by the purchaser or transferee and the former owner, the licensing authority shall within 10 days deliver the firearms

Who would that get sent to? Licensing authority? The shop? Both?

edit: answered above, nevermind.

Who would that get sent to? Licensing authority? The shop? Both?

edit: answered above, nevermind.

The bonded warehouse is merely storing the firearms for the licensing authority, i.e. PD, but at the cost of the firearms owner. The PD is the agency that confiscated the property and is the agency that is obligated to re-deliver the firearms for transfer. But, it doesn't hurt to cc the bonded warehouse and rattle their cages a bit.

Joint notice by transferor (you) and transferee (your buddy or an honest FFL) to the PD that confiscated your property, cc the bonded warehouse.

The notice needs to include that second part about the transferee affirming the property will not be transferred back to you. Affirm under the penalties of perjury, and notarize the document.

Send by certified mail and first class US mail. If you can get it served by contstable to the bonded warehouse, even better.
Thank you very much, this helps me out tremendously.

The bonded warehouse is merely storing the firearms for the licensing authority, i.e. PD, but at the cost of the firearms owner. The PD is the agency that confiscated the property and is the agency that is obligated to re-deliver the firearms for transfer. But, it doesn't hurt to cc the bonded warehouse and rattle their cages a bit.
The thing is, it’s been over a year. I was completely unaware of any of this, I just figured they’d be gone forever since the police confiscated them originally. Now about a year and a half later I get this random letter in the mail from this gun shop.

Depending on where you are, I can notarize the document. It would be best if an attorney drafts the letter for you and sticks it on their letterhead, but if you want to draft it yourself and need it notarized, let me know. I’m in the General MetroWest area.

The thing is, it’s been over a year. I was completely unaware of any of this, I just figured they’d be gone forever since the police confiscated them originally. Now about a year and a half later I get this random letter in the mail from this gun shop.

What exactly does the letter say and/or ask for?

J and S probably wants your guns. The fees will quickly add up to the value. You should get a $$$ number from J and S and then sell the lot to someone else for 1$ more than it will cost you to move them, just so they don't get the firearms.

What exactly does the letter say and/or ask for?
It has a receipt which is a breakdown of the fees that I apparently owe them. It then has a rate in which each firearm is charged daily that it’s in storage with them. Then it states that I can have their shop transfer them to an individual who’s licensed or I can basically pay them to dispose of( make money by selling them and my fees)

Depending on where you are, I can notarize the document. It would be best if an attorney drafts the letter for you and sticks it on their letterhead, but if you want to draft it yourself and need it notarized, let me know. I’m in the General MetroWest area.
Do you know of any lawyers that draft this type of paperwork up?

Do many shops provide this "storage service" for PD's? I've certainly heard about the Village Vault. But, are many other shops doing this? Because I'd be inclined to NEVER give a penny of business to a shop playing this scammy, rotten game. And I'd like to see all these shops outed. I bet most here would avoid them.

Do many shops provide this "storage service" for PD's? I've certainly heard about the Village Vault. But, are many other shops doing this? Because I'd be inclined to NEVER give a penny of business to a shop playing this scammy, rotten game. And I'd like to see all these shops outed. I bet most here would avoid them.
I wasn’t even aware that this took place.
J&S guns is the shop in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom