Storage at Work

Hi All -

I have searched a little on this topic. I want to clarify gun/ammo storage issues related to my office.

I was under the impression that at a business a safe or other forms of gun storage are not needed or required by MA law? For some further background its my office and I am the owner of the building and property.

Thanks!
Erich

The storage laws are no different then anywhere else from my understanding. Must be in your possession or secured, if not and others have the ability to get to it you could be liable.

Simple answer - conceal carry on your person and you won't have to worry. If you do have to leave it at the office I would suggest it must be under lock and key.

**Another_David beat me to it.**

As the others said, the same requirements as home storage. It must be "...carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user..." OR "...secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device..." (MGL 140-131L)

I was under the impression that at a business a safe or other forms of gun storage are not needed or required by MA law? For some further background its my office and I am the owner of the building and property.

Nope. There is no exception for office or workplace. See MGL Chapter 140 Section 131L:

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

full text here: http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131l

I am glad I asked. But I am disappointed with the answer. My desk does have a lock on it but still i'd rather have quick access if needed. CC at work is very difficult given my attire. But I'll figure something out.

Thanks for the responses!

I am glad I asked. But I am disappointed with the answer. My desk does have a lock on it but still i'd rather have quick access if needed. CC at work is very difficult given my attire. But I'll figure something out.

Pocket carry or ankle carry a mouse gun.

A "Combination Cam Lock" on a drawer from www.mcmaster.com with just one cam one digit off is pretty quick.

I think that the real issue will be: What do the neighbors (co-workers) think? If you're going to be taking the gun off, and storing it, then putting it back on, someone will notice.

(I was picking up a pistol from a dealer at a place where I worked, and wouldn't you know, the Boss Dweeb picked that moment to come into the theoretically unused office that I was using for modesty's sake....[shocked][laugh])

There are a lot of people that believe that guns are self-mobile evil robots....they, not the Law will be more of a consideration, IMO,

Today I am rocking the G27 on the waist with my Fobus paddle. I just keep my scrub top pulled over. I guess I will have to tell my employees as it will be seen at some point. I'd rather not surprise them in front of a patient.

Today I am rocking the G27 on the waist with my Fobus paddle. I just keep my scrub top pulled over. I guess I will have to tell my employees as it will be seen at some point. I'd rather not surprise them in front of a patient.

Why can't you use a belly band, smart carry, or t-shirt with the built in holster?

Back
Top Bottom