• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storage at the Gym

Not a good idea to leave the piece in a locker or a car.

Cars and lockers have been busted into a few times at the gym I use here in Springfield, so I keep my gun on my person, in my pocket, when I work out. You don't need to be hasseled by all that liability bullshit,

I carry a S&W J frame and no one has ever noticed the bulge.

I remember about ten years ago an aerobics instructor was screwing
around on her husband, so he went to the gym where she was working and offed her and somebody else with a sawed off shotgun.
California, I think. Anybody else remember that.

Anyway, the point is you have a gun for self defense, but if you don't keep it within arm's length you can't defend yourself in a timely manner. When seconds count, running to your gun and f***ing around with a lock can get you killed.

Do what ever you think's best.

MAJOR D

Normally I would say that you were a crazy paraniod for carrying a gun while working out, but you do live in Springfield.... I used to carry a gun in the shower at home when I lived in Springfield.

Last edited:
OK, I'll bite. How did you protect from moisture?
GC

Normally I would saw that you were a crazy paraniod for carrying a gun while working out, but you do live in Springfield.... I used to carry a gun in the shower at home when I lived in Springfield.

I belong to Boston Athletic Club, and there seem to be a fair number of LEO's there. None that I've noticed carry a firearm in, unless it's already in a bag and transferred to a locker.

I'm a member there too - that's the only place I haven't had my car broken into yet. Of all places, South Boston has proven the least risk for me.

I do the morning thing - at the door at 530am. I often see a fellow in SWAT-type uniform (TDUs, zip-boots, etc) heading into the lockers - he has numerous mag pouches but I haven't see a pistol/holster.

I once saw a shoulder holster with revolver hanging in a locker by a fellow changing but didn't pause to ask - the suit in the locker made me think Detective and I figured the odds of encountering a LEO hostile to CCW in Boston might be to great to chance a chat.

Not sure how many locker thefts actually occur: the management puts up signs all the time saying there have been a rash of break-ins, but I think it's mostly to encourage people to lock up.

On Tuesdays I take a 530pm class and usually find most lockers without locks and full of street clothing. Those guys deserve what they get (or lose, as the case may be). I heard about a boltcutter theft problem they had this past year mid-day, when there are few in the lockeroom.

Here's a little loophole...sorta kinda. You can store a firearm inside a locked container inside a locked container. (Not a double misprint) Leagally speaking the car itself will constitute a locked container and the (unreccommended) glovebox would constitute the second 'locked container'. Still could get stolen....the trunk with the case or gun if you have no case for it handcuffed (unless you can find another, easier way) to something big and heavy (a spare tire?..or whatever). Lastly if you have a glock for example....remove the barrel and lock that in your locker...leave the rest locked in the glove box. The remaining 'gun' is not considered a 'firearm' under MA law without the barrel.

I take the barrel out and leave the rest....

"A liberal is a conservitive that hasn't been mugged yet"

I couldn't find any MA or Boston law, save the one below, that addresses storage of a firearm that might be relevant to storing a firearm while at the gym.

When I hit the gym in Boston, my loaded/holstered handgun goes in a locker, which is locked with a sturdy combination padlock. I carry it, when heading to the gym, in a Safepacker holster from The Wilderness http://thewilderness.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=18 that is not identified as a holster device by any but those "in the know", so exposure is not an issue.

When at work (the company, amazingly, has no weapons prohibitions in policy), and I have to suit up to go into a cleanroom, I keep it (loaded/holstered) in a V-Line pushbutton lockbox in my desk.

Am I missing any other laws/guidance on the matter? (I didn't see any relevant posts via seach)

Thanks

Chapter 140: Section 131L. Weapons stored or kept by owner; inoperable by any person other than owner or lawfully authorized user; punishment

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

Here's a little loophole...sorta kinda. You can store a firearm inside a locked container inside a locked container. (Not a double misprint) Leagally speaking the car itself will constitute a locked container and the (unreccommended) glovebox would constitute the second 'locked container'.

Uhh, no it won't. Doing what you suggest is likely to cause
someone to lose their license. A car cabin is NOT a secure
container. (a TRUNK is, provided it can't be gotten into from the
passenger compartment) Also, A glovebox is the absolute
worst place to store a handgun in a motor vehicle in MA.... hell, I
think there is even case law safe storage convictions that involve
gloveboxes. I've been told by more than one gun lawyer that it
is a -bad- idea.

-Mike

Hi Mike! Actually know of a few cases that were one in the situation described (LOCKED car/LOCKED glove box). Read this section of law.
Let me know if you find the case law you mentioned. Also I hope you noticed that I did say "unrecommended" as far as the LOCKED car/LOCKED glovebox was concerned.

Ciao

"A liberal is a conservitive who hasn't been mugged yet"

Massachusetts General Laws ch. 140, § 131L(a) prohibits the storage or keeping of any firearm in any place unless the gun is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device and properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. These firearms will not be classified as "stored" or "kept" under Massachusetts law if they are under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user. Id. If a lawful owner or user keeps or stores non-large capacity rifles or shotguns in a place where a person under age 18 who does not possess a valid firearm identification card may gain access to the firearm without committing an unforeseeable trespass, that owner or authorized user will be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000, or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment. Ch. 140, § 131L(c).

Uhh, no it won't. Doing what you suggest is likely to cause
someone to lose their license. A car cabin is NOT a secure
container. (a TRUNK is, provided it can't be gotten into from the
passenger compartment) Also, A glovebox is the absolute
worst place to store a handgun in a motor vehicle in MA.... hell, I
think there is even case law safe storage convictions that involve
gloveboxes. I've been told by more than one gun lawyer that it
is a -bad- idea.

-Mike

Greetings!

Chapter 140: Section 121. Firearms sales; DEFINITIONS; antique firearms; application of law; exceptions:

“Firearm”, a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

See anything about a serial numbered frame? Also as far a serial numbers go the receiver, slide and barrel are all numbered.

I still love NH more than MA though...good skiing and good gun laws...Live Free or Die and all :)

Ciao

"A liberal is a conservitive that hasn't been mugged yet"

Anyone can buy a barrel mail-order. I believe it's the serial-numbered frame that is the "firearm".

Here's a little loophole...sorta kinda. You can store a firearm inside a locked container inside a locked container. (Not a double misprint) Leagally [sic] speaking the car itself will constitute a locked container and the (unreccommended) [sic] glovebox would constitute the second 'locked container'. Still could get stolen....the trunk with the case or gun if you have no case for it handcuffed (unless you can find another, easier way) to something big and heavy (a spare tire?..or whatever). Lastly if you have a glock [sic] for example....remove the barrel and lock that in your locker...leave the rest locked in the glove box. The remaining 'gun' is not considered a 'firearm' under MA law without the barrel.

I take the barrel out and leave the rest....

"A liberal is a conservitive [sic] that hasn't been mugged yet"

Wrong. As you would know if you bothered to :

1. Actually read the statute ITSELF and not a mere summary; OR

2. Research the many discussions of this exact subject already on this forum.

NEITHER the glove box nor the vehicle itself constitute the "locked container" required by law. The trunk - and ONLY the trunk - does suffice.

A firearm w/o the barrel is not, in that condition, capable of being fired. However, inserting the barrel is hardly a challenge and your defense will likely fail accordingly.

So much MISinformation in so few posts in so little time.

Stellar introduction.[rolleyes]

Not according to MGLs! We're "different"! [rolleyes]

Wow! So one can buy, sell, carry a handgun frame, without barrel, with no regulayion in MA?

Or is commerce regulated, but once you have it, you can "store" in your desktop pencil holder or carry it about in full compliance with law? As long as it has no barrel.

But get lailed if you have a 22 round in your pocket w/o an FID card...

I guess it's time for me to take the GOAL coarse in MA gunlaws, eh? And get a new copy of "MGL's Believe it or Not!" [grin] (aka Glidden's book).

Back
Top Bottom