Stop and frisk Lowell style

warwickben

bubba Kalashnikov
I drive my friend to work most days. Today he was dropping his gf kid off at his dads house in Lowell . I park and my friend walks the kid home about 200 ft from my car.

He comes out and starts walking down the side walk to my car.
Cop pulls up stops and tells him to put his hands on his head and face the Wall.
Cop searches him and pulls a red sharpie out of his front pocket that was clipped to his pocket .
I could hear what was going on .
Cop"I thought this was a knife"

My friend loses it.
Starts yelling when the **** did I walk in to east Berlin . I have ****ing rights . Wgat if it was a knife I use for work.

Cop tells him to leave and walks off..
right be for the cop gets in his car my friend yells thanks a lot Gestapo.

I don't even know how the cop saw the clip in his front pocket . My friend was wearing dicky pants and a dicky work shirt with his work name on it and on the hat he was wearing . So he didn't look like some crack head walking down the street.

What a crock of horse apples.

Because not more than two months ago I was driving home from work (was one of my busy times, so like 1:30am) and a dude was walking down the middle of Gorham ST holding a chain, not a dog chain either, and the cop just kept on driving by, didn't even flinch at a man in the middle of the street with a chain in hand at 1am.

Then, like 3 days later, they had a shootout in the street right in front of the police station so...

Lowell sucks. I moved out here in 2001, and had someone shot in the street in front of every place I lived (including dorms) until I moved across the river when I started seeing my wife serious.

My buddy was flipping out to much to even think about getting the badge number.
It was on the street behind top donut lake view?
I was laughing my ass off with all the nazi and east German references my friend was yelling .
I don't even get it . The cop just pulled over and started yelling orders at him.
I'm related to a lot of cops and I judge them one by one but this guy was a dick .

Find out the cops name, shouldn't be too hard, and file a Complaint. Don't let it go.

Yep definitely find out his name. Email the department the stop and frisk video and tell them he acted no better. You should have whipped out your camera phone and gotten out of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds messed up! Glad you didn't have to get involved if you were carrying.
That would have been a whole other headache!

Yep definitely find out his name. Email the department the stop and frisk video and tell them he acted no better. You should have whipped out your camera phone and gotten out of the car.

I would of but the damn thing is broken .

Sounds messed up! Glad you didn't have to get involved if you were carrying.
That would have been a whole other headache!

I normally go in with him and the step mom fills out coffee mugs . We where running late so I say in my car .

I would of but the damn thing is broken .

I normally go in with him and the step mom fills out coffee mugs . We where running late so I say in my car .

We should all head up to Lowell with pens in our pockets. Condition these cops to pens. Maybe they'll even get used to paperwork if they learn how to use a pen.

This stuff shouldn't be acceptable, but beyond filing a complaint, not much a poor working guy can do to stop it.

This stuff shouldn't be acceptable, but beyond filing a complaint, not much a poor working guy can do to stop it.

Maybe with better documentation (e.g. video) a "CLU"-type organization would be willing to turn it into something stinky for the department??

I carry a flashlight and a knife with the clips showing everyday and live 2 minutes from the Lowell. So by his description it's ok to stop and search me? I don't think so!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Clips showing? Be careful with the 2 1/2" local ordinance on blade length. It doesn't make any sense that a municipality can write their own rules for this. Easy way for an innocent to be caught up in a hassle.

GLAD I abandoned Lowell 5 years ago. The cops are utterly useless and never take the citizens there seriously unless its someone who matters in the city.

I was in Lowell this morning. Picking up cardboard bales at the 2 Family Dollars (Church St. and Middlesex)
Always a lovely city early in the morning.
I wear Dickies with the carpenters drop pocket, and have a visible clip to my cheap Gerber I carry at work. Been carrying it for years, talked to cops, dealt with cops all over Mass. Never once have they so much as looked at it.

Lowell knife Ordinance

[Added 5-26-2009]
A.
Findings and purpose. The City Council has determined that like other cities of its size Lowell has incidents of violent crimes whereby knifes, machetes, other bladed weapons and homemade weapons (for example, a shaved golf club spear, a baseball bat with protruding nails) not regulated or prohibited by state law are used, possessed and carried to further such criminal activity. To preserve peace and good order, the City Council has determined there is a public need to protect and safeguard the welfare of the general public and public safety officers from the dangers and ills posed by said items.
B.
Prohibition. No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person or have under his control in a vehicle while on, in, or upon a public way, any way to which the public has right of access, in any place to which members of the public have access as invitees or licensees, in any park or playground, conservation area or recreation area: a knife with a blade in excess of 2 1/2 inches, a machete, any altered or redesigned item such as a homemade weapon capable of inflicting serious bodily harm or any other weapon capable of penetrating a police officer's ballistic vest except:
(1)
When engaged in hunting, fishing, or fowling and possessing all valid permits or licenses; or
(2)
When engaged in employment, trade, recreational or culinary activity which customarily involves the carrying or use of such knives; or
(3)
In going directly to or returning from such activities as listed in § 222-12-B(1) and (2); or
(4)
If the knife is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening, or repair, and if packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to the knife while it is being transported.
(5)
Further, this prohibition does not apply to persons who, through entities or establishments engaged in a recognized retail or wholesale business, are involved in the sale, purchase or repair of knives for trade, sport, hobby, or recreation, including without limitation persons engaged in the transportation to or from such entities or establishments
C.
Penalty. Every violation of this section shall be subject to a fine of not more than $300 for each offense. Enforcement of this penalty may be by arrest without warrant as it is a violation of MGL c. 272, § 59, criminal complaint, or by noncriminal disposition as provided by Article I, § 1-6, of this Code and MGL c. 40, § 21D.
D.
Construction and severability. The provisions of this section shall be severable and if any section, part, portion or term hereof is held to be invalid for any purpose by a court of competent jurisdiction, it shall not affect or impair any remaining section, part or portion thereof.

Back
Top Bottom