stolen valor prosecuted

From the article, part of their punishment:

"In addition, the two must stand at the Montana Veterans Memorial in Great Falls wearing a placard that says, "I am a liar. I am not a veteran. I stole valor. I have dishonored all veterans," for eight hours on each Memorial Day and Veterans Day, according to the Associated Press."

Almost like putting them in stocks in town square[slap]

Love it - make them stay out there for weeks. While I never served, I know and am friends with many that have or did.

Pulling that crap is grounds for public humiliation.

Does anyone have info on what law they actually broke? Any search for state law come up with a ton of articles on these two, but I'm not seeing official charges.
A quick federal search shows Stolen Valor Act from W Bush that has been ruled as unconstitutional......

I have great respect and admiration for all who served/serve; it IS a place of HONOR reserved ONLY for them.

On a funny note, i stole valor myself, when i was 6 years old, playing army with my friends.

A Montana judge hit 2 offenders with a deeply fitting punishment for stolen valor
they should have swat raided the defunct gun room in shrewsbury mass, o'leay's the hero and zero hang arounds and staff with their claimed military careers date them to at least 200 yrs. old
Does anyone have info on what law they actually broke? Any search for state law come up with a ton of articles on these two, but I'm not seeing official charges.
A quick federal search shows Stolen Valor Act from W Bush that has been ruled as unconstitutional......
if i remember the bush act it was decided that it was not illegal to be a bullshitter

I think it was lying to the court about veteran status that legally justified the sanctions, not the act per-se.

I don't have a source but I believe that if you profited in any way from claiming to be a veteran, it's illegal. I don't believe lying about it without profiting is illegal.

Back
Top Bottom