• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

stolen police gun found in Lawrence

Officer's stolen gun found in Lawrence
By Jill Harmacinski
[email protected]

LAWRENCE — A stolen handgun belonging to a Burlington police officer was recovered after it was illegally fired within earshot of the police station by an admitted heroin dealer early yesterday, police said.

Luis Gomez, 18, of Lawrence was arrested and charged with firing the stolen Glock, which police believe he did to impress some girls. Gomez said he purchased the gun "from a guy in Haverhill," police said.

Officers working the overnight shift arrested Gomez after hearing gunfire outside the Lowell Street police station at 4:45 a.m.

Gomez, of 328 Andover St., #1, faces a lengthy list of charges, including illegal possession of a loaded firearm, receiving stolen property, illegal possession of heroin with intent to distribute, and assault and battery on a police officer.

He is expected to be arraigned on the charges this morning in Lawrence District Court.

Gomez "confessed" to carrying and shooting the gun, trying to dispose of the Glock and selling heroin, according to a report written by Officer Guillermo Rojas.

The unidentified Burlington police officer reported the Glock stolen from his car in November, Lawrence police Chief John Romero said.

The weapon remained missing until yesterday morning when police officers and dispatchers heard a "loud bang" that sounded like a gunshot outside the police station.

Rojas and fellow Officer Angel Lopez ran outside and started looking around. A man drove up and told them he had just heard the "loud noise." He told police that when he heard the bang, he saw four people walking on nearby Amesbury Street toward Essex Street.

Moments later, Sgt. Dawn Pappalardo found the four people at Amesbury and Methuen streets. She, along with several other officers, approached the group and a struggle quickly ensued.

Gomez "refused to obey commands to remove his hands from his waistband." And Officer Charles Saindon said he saw Gomez "toss a gun over a nearby fence," Rojas wrote.

Another man, Marc Theriault, 20, of 80 Bowdoin St., Lawrence "was also taken to the ground by force for refusing to obey commands ... and causing a disorderly scene himself by swearing and yelling."

During their search, police found a 6-inch knife on Theriault, the report said.

Two 16-year-old girls in the group were arrested and charged with disorderly conduct for screaming and yelling during the arrests.

When Gomez was booked at the police station, officers found two glassine bags that contained a brown powdery substance beleived to be heroin, Rojas wrote.

The teen-aged girls were released to the custody of their parents.

Theriault was charged with disorderly conduct, illegal possession of a dangerous weapon and resisting arrest. He is scheduled to be arraigned this morning in Lawrence District Court.

Gomez confessed to firing the gun and selling drugs after he was read his Miranda rights, according to police. The confession was recorded, police added.

After the Glock was recovered, police checked the serial number and discovered it was stolen and belonged to the Burlington Police Department. Lawrence police called Burlington and told them the gun was recovered.

Romero lauded the diligence of police and the witness who drove to the station to report the suspicious activity yesterday morning.

"They got a stolen gun off the street," he noted.

http://www.eagletribune.com/punews/local_story_011040424.html

what kills me is that it's "another stolen gun off the streets"........How about the piece of shit heroin dealer??? I think that is more important to get off the streets. And the 2 16 yr old girls out at 4:45am with these scumbags must be the apples of daddy's eye too.....

Massachusetts has a 1 year MANDATORY jail sentence for illegal possession of a handgun. Do you think they ever impose it on these scumbags ???
We licensed owners undergo more scrutiny then they do !!!

"One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way. This guy's like...what do you want from me ?" --- Goodfellas

Just talked with somebody from Springfield, discussing the difficulties of obtaining permits there. The licensing officer apparently tells aaplicants that they don't want citizens to have guns because they are afraid that they will get stolen due to the amount of home burglaries in the area.

You can't make this up, and you can't fix stupid.

I was deployed with the arresting officer, Rojas.

On a side note, I dated a woman a few years ago, who's ex was a PO in a small town. Apparently, he got real drunk one night, and lost his firearm. It was found, 3 days later, on the side of the road, by another PO in the same town. The one who lost it reported it, stating he thought he may have "misplaced" it at some point. He was on dispatch duty-until his firearm was found. Then, back out on the streets.

first issue I have is, isnt it ILLEGAL to drink & carry a firearm? Not to mention dumb...
Second, when do you start holding those who uphold the law, or make them, to the own laws they create, or are sworn to protect? This isnt meant to bash any PO; but, really, if you are the one ENFORCING the law, we would expect you to be accountable for BREAKING it-not simply having things covered up, internally.

first issue I have is, isnt it ILLEGAL to drink & carry a firearm? Not to mention dumb...
Second, when do you start holding those who uphold the law, or make them, to the own laws they create, or are sworn to protect? This isnt meant to bash any PO; but, really, if you are the one ENFORCING the law, we would expect you to be accountable for BREAKING it-not simply having things covered up, internally.

Obviously it's not illegal ENOUGH. Another law will solve the problem.

Just talked with somebody from Springfield, discussing the difficulties of obtaining permits there. The licensing officer apparently tells aaplicants that they don't want citizens to have guns because they are afraid that they will get stolen due to the amount of home burglaries in the area.

You can't make this up, and you can't fix stupid.

Thankfully my girlfriend is moving from springfield to CT in 2 months where she can defend herself...Springfiield took freaken 4 months to get someone i know a restricted FID..its insane..beyond words..

How do we know it was unsecured and hanging around?

Because he was a cop. And we all know how they dont have any regard for the law. Because they never get in trouble for anything. Not like us poor folk who actually like guns.BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Does that pretty much cover all the anti LEO horse s*!t

Because he was a cop. And we all know how they dont have any regard for the law. Because they never get in trouble for anything. Not like us poor folk who actually like guns.BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Does that pretty much cover all the anti LEO horse s*!t

That pretty much covers it. Thanks for playing....

I was originally thinking about how embarrassed/how much crap I'd be in if I was that cop who left his gun unsecured in his cruiser, but the more I read, the focus instead was on the lowlife dealer and company and the mention of a "stolen gun off the streets"
I know that there is no way that a fellow cop is gonna go on record as blasting the incompetance of the burlington officer, but I think there should have been a small paragraph or section on the fate of that cop.

Also, I used to live in Haverhill. Don't try pinning it on Haverhill! Haverhill is God's Country! Viva la Welfare Records!

Back
Top Bottom