• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stolen Guns

Description

The rifle was in a house in Dudley, MA . Indications are it was taken within the past 10 days, possiblly as recently as this weekend, I discovered the theft on Saturday the 15th. I bought the rifle over 20 years ago. It is a Mauser bolt action, .308/7.62mm, I believe the type of action is called a "98". The bolt appeared to be polished stainless steel. I refinished the stock about 20 years ago, and installed a slide on style recoil pad, it would look out of place on this gun. If removed, there would be a definite miss match in the finish. There was a scope mounted on it, but the scope was removed by the thieves and left behind. The police have the scope, and say they will attempt to "fog" it to get good prints. Severtal other items were taken, but this was the only firearm. This weapon has sentimental value to me, even though I had not fired it in over 15 years. If by chance anybody should come across a rifle meeting this description, please let me know. I will check this thread regularly. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stolen: 1924 Swedish Mauser M/96

Hello there,
In 2004 an all matching number M/96 Swedish Mauser was stolen from my home. The date on the receiver is 1923.
It is from the Carl Gustav factory (Carl Gustafs Stads Gevarsfaktori). On the stock are BOTH plates (the rectangular and round ones). It has a Timney trigger installed (and had a little material on the stock removed so it would fit). I am still working on finding the serial number.
I would have posted on here sooner, but I haven't been a member on here that long and it never occurred to me to post this. I have 2 pictures but I can't figure out how to attach them. If you PM me I can send them to you. Maybe for now you can find some pattern in the wood and that in combination with the other info I have included someone might have seen it. If you suspect you might have it I would greatly appreciate a heads up.
rattletrap1970
rattletrap1970

Last edited:
Ok, signed up on Photobucket. The Rectangular plate was put back on the rifle after the picture was taken. There is also probably a sling on the gun now, as I believe there was one on it when it was stolen. These are the only two pictures I have, but there are some maks on the gun that could be indicators. Like the scratch on the barrel near the barrel band in the upper picture, the patterns shown in the dark areas in the wood, dents in the wood, etc.
Mauser-03.jpg

Mauser-04.jpg

If you have had a gun stolen, please post info here, make model, sn #.

Hopefully the info will help the victim or a potential buyer.

It is expected that the victims have taken all legal steps in reporting the items.

Comments other than something that might help the victim will be deleted.

Last edited:
Stolen Gun Log:

Stolen 6/26/06 -Auburn, ME 04210

Gun: Anschutz Mod. 1413 Supermatch 54 Target rifle Serial No. 62688. Rifle e/w a Unertl 2” 20X Target Scope. Estimate value $1600- $1800. Also taken was the aluminum hard case with various accessories for the rifle including, Sling, Forend weight, Shooting Glove, ammo box etc.
Per the police the gun was last known to be in New Bedford, Mass. The ATF was not very helpful regarding the return of this gun. They basically said too bad, we have more important fish to fry than try to get your gun back. Typical government bureaucratic BS!

Here's a rather old one for everyone, I've pretty much given up hope of ever seeing this one again 'cause it's been so long.
My house in Jersey City NJ was broken into on 09-05-1980, and among other things they took was:

Colt Diamondback Revolver
.38 Caliber, Blue, 4” barrel, Pachmayr Signature rubber grips/W Colt Medallion, Adjustable rear sight.
Serial number: R32983
Stolen 9-05-1980
Jersey City Police Report number 243804
Gun permits section phone: 201- 547-5313

The loss of this really hurt because I had only owned it for about 2 weeks. The company I worked for at the time purchased it for me as an award for sucessfully capturing a suspect, (who was later convicted), in a series of burgularies at a fashion jeans manufacturer. Luckily that was the only one of my firearms that they found & took.

Although there's a few places online listing stolen guns, this is the only one that I have been able to find that's a government run searchable database. For most of the people on this site it'd be a long shot, but you never know. If the gun was ever reported lost or stolen in Florida it'll be in this database.

Florida Stolen Gun Search

If the serial number matches any in the system it will come up with the rest of the make/model/caliber info and where it was reported lost or stolen.

My dad had an H&R 9 shot .22 snubbie stolen in a house break back in 1979. The gun was reported stolen, but never recovered. Every 5 years the local PD sends him a letter asking if he ever got the gun back. ?????
How would he ever get it back if the PD doesn't notify him that it's been recovered?
If they knew that, they'd also know if it had been returned to him.
The whole system seems ass-backwards.

Stolen Handgun List

STOLEN FIREARMS - The following handgun collection was stolen in South Egremont, MA (Berkshire County) on September 15th. If located please contact the Egremont Police Department at 413-528-2160.

• Colt double action 45 cal. revolver with target grips, #360762
  • S&W chrome plated 32 cal. revolver, #37120
  • Colt Police Positive 38 cal revolver, #869489
  • Ruger Single Six 22 cal revolver, #803997
  • S&W 22 cal. single shot target pistol, #2441
  • Colt 45 cal. 1911 WWI vintage Officer's model, #219446
  • Colt 38 cal. revolver - very old, #5758
  • Colt Police Positive 32-20 (WCF) revolver, #78098
  • Colt 22 cal pistol - early or pre Woodsman, #2119

I hope everything makes its way back home!

And as an aside, where the frick is South Egremont? I've never heard of the place.

That sucks. Do dealers have to consult a database to see if a gun is stolen before they accept a gun for consignment or purchase? Hopefully someone will try to pawn them or put on consignment and they will be recovered.

That sucks. Do dealers have to consult a database to see if a gun is stolen before they accept a gun for consignment or purchase? Hopefully someone will try to pawn them or put on consignment and they will be recovered.

There really is no definitive database to consult. IFF the owner knows the S/Ns and reports it to the police, they "should" enter the S/Ns in the NCIC database.

However, dealers have no access to that database. It is highly restricted to LE use only.

Just to note, it is a felony to loan money on firearms in MA, so no pawn shops can take in or sell guns in MA any more (it was legal back in the late 1960s, not sure when the law changed).

If you ever move, be sure the case file gets updated with your new contact info. If a stolen gun is recovered, the retrieving PD *may* contact the department that filed the NCIC report. A friend of mine got his 1911 back that way thanks to Framingham PD forwarding the retrieval report to him.

Do dealers have to consult a database to see if a gun is stolen before they accept a gun for consignment or purchase?

No, they don't even have one to access in Mass. Florida has one that FFL's use to check incoming S/N's, I posted a link to it in the above thread; it's the only publicly available database of it's sort that I know of. In free states it's fairly common for stolen guns to get sold to FFL's for a quick buck.

There really is no definitive database to consult. IFF the owner knows the S/Ns and reports it to the police, they "should" enter the S/Ns in the NCIC database.

Even then NCIC has it's limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knows. Had a trigger lock on it (per MA law), but we all know how easy those crappy things are to get off. It's been registered in the federal database as stolen.

If they strip it, please keep an eye out for an A2 upper with 16" barrel. Top of the carry handle has a blemish where there was a spot ground down on one side. No black coating on that spot.

Back in the 60"s my Grandfather made a Hunting rifle for my mom. (They both have passed on now.) He took a Czhec short ring mauser action and fit it to a Springfield 30.06 barrel then machined that into a .308. He used the 7.62 specs. Probably one of the first two on the West Coast. It was stolen back in the 80's in OKC. I've been looking for it ever since. The problem is that the barrel says 30.06 but it's a .308. Not sure If the thief ever figured this out. Either way just putting out feelers to see if it could be found. Also taken at the same time was my Winchester model 94 30.30. A Marlin .22 Semi auto and a 12 ga. Semi auto shotgun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom