• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stolen gun - loaded while stored in the car - Oops!

kwatz

NES Member
HATFIELD - Police are seeking the public’s help as they probe the theft of a loaded handgun from a police officer’s personal vehicle while he was out on patrol in a cruiser Wednesday night.

Lt. Timothy Paciorek said the officer was near the end of his shift when he realized that the gun, a .40 caliber Smith & Wesson and not his service weapon, had been stolen.

The gun was stolen from the officer’s green pickup truck, parked in the Town Hall parking lot, some time between 3 and 10 p.m. Investigators are still attempting to determine the truck had been left unlocked or forcibly entered, Paciorek said.

“If anybody saw anybody around the cruiser bay please notify the department,” Paciorek said. Police can be reached at

Police have not released the officer’s name.

Now had that been one of us lay people we would be so screwed. I say revoke his LTC and give him this...
P00648-Other-Guys-Gun-Blog2.jpg

Even if he got his LTC pulled, he could still carry "on the badge" even off-duty with his agency's permission...big Whoopie..ain't nothin' gonna happen other than at most a pee-pee slap I'm betting anyway [wink][

yah, and some landscapers probably lost a chainsaw, and a carpenter probably lost a hammer, and I'm betting a couple of drivers lost their car keys...

Just saw this in today's paper.. a followup in the original story

HATFIELD – A police sergeant, who resigned after reporting that a loaded handgun had been stolen from his personal vehicle while he was out patrolling in a cruiser earlier this month, has since reported finding it inside a locked briefcase inside his home.

Hatfield Police Chief Thomas J. Osley said the resignation of Sgt. Daniel Warner is currently “in limbo,” awaiting review later this week from the Board of Selectmen.

“We will go on from there,” said Osley, adding that it turns out no crime had been committed because the handgun, Warner’s personal weapon, had been properly secured the whole time.

Warner initially reported the handgun been stolen from the center console of his pickup truck near the end of his shift on July 6. Osley said he suspended Warner the following day while Hatfield police and state police investigated.

Late last week, with the handgun, a .40 caliber Smith and Wesson still missing, Osley said he told Warner that he would either have to resign or be fired over his apparent failure to properly secure the firearm.

“Stuff happens, it’s one of those screwball things,” Osley said, adding that Warner had been suffering from dehydration at about the time he had reported the gun stolen.

Warner, 47, a former state police dispatcher, has ably served the department for “16 or 17” years, Osley said.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/handgun_erroneously_reported_s.html

The Chief could still revoke his LTC for being an unsuitable person as he lost accountability for the weapon for about a week. Then, whether Wheeler v. Town of Franklin might apply to a discretionary revocation would be an interesting legal question if the department has a policy requiring an LTC.

Some of you people friggin kill me. You bitch and moan about how bad our laws are here and then you go and call for this guy to be nailed to the wall because he's a cop? I personally don't think it's right for anyone to get in trouble for something like this...cop or not. Current laws prevent people from carrying in certain areas so, in some cases, locking it up in a car is our only option. If some scumbag breaks into that car, finds, and steals it, then I don't find that the fault of the gun owner.

Some of you people friggin kill me. You bitch and moan about how bad our laws are here and then you go and call for this guy to be nailed to the wall because he's a cop? I personally don't think it's right for anyone to get in trouble for something like this...cop or not. Current laws prevent people from carrying in certain areas so, in some cases, locking it up in a car is our only option. If some scumbag breaks into that car, finds, and steals it, then I don't find that the fault of the gun owner.

The same cop would probably take our rights with a smile on his face if he had the power to do so. Personally, I think you reap what you sow, this is karma's magic wand slapping the LE community with a taste of its own medicine. F*** this thin blue line B.S....you screw up, doesn't matter if you're a cop or not, we're all held accountable equally. It's about time they realize they aren't immune to the same laws us "subjects" are accustomed to. I hope he gets the 9th degree, loses his gun rights, and crashes on the head of the department. Maybe then the cops will say "ehh maybe we should make this absurd restriction on the 2nd a priority to get rid of before we get caught going full retard again".
To the cop, welcome to our world...the one that you need to walk on egg shells 24/7 in order to express a guaranteed constitutional right.

I dunno. I never "forget" where i left a loaded handgun. Does this happen to any of you?

" Honey! Do you know where I left my keys, sunglasses and my loaded 229?"

I dunno. I never "forget" where i left a loaded handgun. Does this happen to any of you?

" Honey! Do you know where I left my keys, sunglasses and my loaded 229?"

Where did it say that he forgot where he left it? I thought it said he stored it in his car and it was gone when he came back?

Where did it say that he forgot where he left it? I thought it said he stored it in his car and it was gone when he came back?

Are you serious?

Just saw this in today's paper.. a followup in the original story

HATFIELD – A police sergeant, who resigned after reporting that a loaded handgun had been stolen from his personal vehicle while he was out patrolling in a cruiser earlier this month, has since reported finding it inside a locked briefcase inside his home.

Hatfield Police Chief Thomas J. Osley said the resignation of Sgt. Daniel Warner is currently “in limbo,” awaiting review later this week from the Board of Selectmen.

“We will go on from there,” said Osley, adding that it turns out no crime had been committed because the handgun, Warner’s personal weapon, had been properly secured the whole time.

Warner initially reported the handgun been stolen from the center console of his pickup truck near the end of his shift on July 6. Osley said he suspended Warner the following day while Hatfield police and state police investigated.

Late last week, with the handgun, a .40 caliber Smith and Wesson still missing, Osley said he told Warner that he would either have to resign or be fired over his apparent failure to properly secure the firearm.

“Stuff happens, it’s one of those screwball things,” Osley said, adding that Warner had been suffering from dehydration at about the time he had reported the gun stolen.

Warner, 47, a former state police dispatcher, has ably served the department for “16 or 17” years, Osley said.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/handgun_erroneously_reported_s.html

Back
Top Bottom