• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stolen Ammo Delivery MA

Just wanted some opinions on what I should be doing for a stolen ammo delivery from my condo.
Ups confirmed they left it inside the locked building and was 40 minutes before I got back home.

I wanted to call the local pd but was going to wait and see if someone accidentally took the package without realizing it. If the person stole it they would be illegally in possession if they did not have an Ltc.
Any ideas? Don’t worry the shipment had insurance :)

Just wanted some opinions on what I should be doing for a stolen ammo delivery from my condo.
Ups confirmed they left it inside the locked building and was 40 minutes before I got back home.

I wanted to call the local pd but was going to wait and see if someone accidentally took the package without realizing it. If the person stole it they would be illegally in possession if they did not have an Ltc.
I remember seeing a thread like this a while back. I don't remember what the outcome was.

Porch Pirate Update post 123

Tryed sharing the link to the previous thread.
I Can't figure it out I'm a dummy when it comes to this.

Ask your neighbors first if they secured the package.

Never get the police involved.....there is no upside to it.

It's insured....you didn't lose anything.

Next time, instruct the shipper and UPS to hold the package at the UPS facility for pick up.

Don't f***ing get the PD involved unless you got contacts you trust in the PD. Otherwise it's a waste of time anyways unless you have video of the thieves etc.

Be careful - the police could consider you "unsuitable" since you knowingly arranged to have ammo left in an unsecure location. This is particularly true if your PD has a scavenger hunt mentality to licensing (look for any reason to deny/revoke) rather than public safety approach.

And remember, the courts have held it is proper for revoking a MA LTC for violating the MA safe storage law... in Rhode Island where no such law exists.

Be careful - the police could consider you "unsuitable" since you knowingly arranged to have ammo left in an unsecure location. This is particularly true if your PD has a scavenger hunt mentality to licensing (look for any reason to deny/revoke) rather than public safety approach.

And remember, the courts have held it is proper for revoking a MA LTC for violating the MA safe storage law... in Rhode Island where no such law exists.
No storage laws for ammo. Fire CMR, sure, but not MGL.

I would love to hear more about the failure to secure in RI results in loss of LTC in MA

UPS left it INSIDE a locked building when you weren't there?

[rofl] UPS shows me as signing for packages at my work, when I'm off for the day! [shocked]

Driver knew what the shipment was.

Once had a FedEx ground kid bring in a discreet box. "This is ammo, right?"
"Why do you say that?"
"It's small, it's heavy, it rattles, and it's from Connecticut."

Report the theft to UPS. It's their problem not yours. You never had possession of the package.
Reported within the hour of the missing package and the driver informed me they left it in the building, someone let them in. Hopefully shows up tomorrow otherwise I'll ask around.

I would love to hear more about the failure to secure in RI results in loss of LTC in MA
Reported to UPS and will ask around tomorrow. Working from home so hoping to catch the bastard red handed. :)

Report the theft to UPS. It's their problem not yours. You never had possession of the package.

This is what I'd do. You never possessed "package", so you never "owned" it. It wasn't yours until you picked it up.

Question though? If UPS left the package in a secure "something", was there a camera and a digital video of delivery and afterwards?

Next order, have UPS arrange to deliver when you are home or at a UPS facility?

Jay

This is what I'd do. You never possessed "package", so you never "owned" it. It wasn't yours until you picked it up.

Question though? If UPS left the package in a secure "something", was there a camera and a digital video of delivery and afterwards?

Next order, have UPS arrange to deliver when you are home or at a UPS facility?

Jay
I've ordered online plenty of times and usually is delivered on my work from home days or after I'm already home. Seemed a bit weird this was the case hoping it was some case of a mis-delivery and will show up. Good idea on a few ppl suggesting delivery to a UPS facility.

I'm kinda lucky that a major UPS distribution facility is about 20 minutes from me, but there is a smaller UPS Store even closer. I never asked, but I wonder if you can pick up there? There seems to be plenty of them around.

Agreed, hopefully it was just a neighbor helping you out, but I would not contact the PD over this missing package. Nothing good will come YOUR WAY with that, and I have family and friends that are LEO and I am a supporter of them, but I know, or more accurately "assume" I know my place and the "pecking order" . YMMV

Jay

Here's the thread I started... Porch Pirate Update post 123

Your name and address is on the package, so your ass in on the line one way or the other. I involved the police (need to get police report for TSUSA to process replacement.)
Detective didn't give me a hard time, but never found the guy... I gave them video of the theft!

I was more concerned about scumbags stalking my house looking for more packages, but no worries. I had follow up ordered shipped to the UPS Hub, which is near my house.
Just got an order delivered today, right to my front door, no problems!

Here's the thread I started... Porch Pirate Update post 123

Your name and address is on the package, so your ass in on the line one way or the other. I involved the police (need to get police report for TSUSA to process replacement.)
Detective didn't give me a hard time, but never found the guy... I gave them video of the theft!

I was more concerned about scumbags stalking my house looking for more packages, but no worries. I had follow up ordered shipped to the UPS Hub, which is near my house.
Just got an order delivered today, right to my front door, no problems!
Ended up calling later this night after finding the thread. Rather not have it hanging over my head. It was only 35 bucks worth but like you say my names on the package. Unfortunately there’s no video surveillance in the mail room but what did you need to do with tsusa to get them to deliver to a ups hub? Fortunately work very close to one. Do they care if the shipping address is different than the Ltc?

Ended up calling later this night after finding the thread. Rather not have it hanging over my head. It was only 35 bucks worth but like you say my names on the package. Unfortunately there’s no video surveillance in the mail room but what did you need to do with tsusa to get them to deliver to a ups hub? Fortunately work very close to one. Do they care if the shipping address is different than the Ltc?
Also had an amazon package not be delivered a week or so ago so I was skeptical this was a coincidence

I'll be on the lookout for the case.

Man leaves gun in car with grandson in RI
Grandson steals gun
Man reports theft to police in RI
Not sure how MA found out, maybe he reported gun stolen
PD revokes for suitability
MA court upholds decision

Reported within the hour of the missing package and the driver informed me they left it in the building, someone let them in. Hopefully shows up tomorrow otherwise I'll ask around.
Leaving the pkg inside an apartment complex or condo unit with multiple inside entrances is considered an "UNSAFE" delivery by ups. (how do I know, I worked for them for 42 yrs.) Call the people you ordered it form and let them deal with UPS. UPS should pay the shipper, because THEY left the pkg, and shipper should reship you your item.... Let them know the type of building you live in, and in the future Id have deliveries require a a signature.

there is a smaller UPS Store even closer. I never asked, but I wonder if you can pick up there? There seems to be plenty of them around.

I actually rent a mail box from a local UPS Store. It's against their policy to accept ammo shipments. I believe it's on their web site under restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom