Stock repair?

gws1063

NES Member
OK, I know nothing, but I have a stock that needs a minor repair in a spot that won't be too visible, so I figure that would be a good place to start.

What does one use to repair cracks and/or fill checks? Appropriately colored glass bedding compound?

What prep is necessary on old (oil soaked) furniture?

Can anyone point me to a good tutorial or some reference material?

Any advice you'd care to share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Gary

OK, I know nothing, but I have a stock that needs a minor repair in a spot that won't be too visible, so I figure that would be a good place to start.

What does one use to repair cracks and/or fill checks? Appropriately colored glass bedding compound?

What prep is necessary on old (oil soaked) furniture?

Can anyone point me to a good tutorial or some reference material?

Any advice you'd care to share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Gary

You need to talk to Rome aka Cabinetman. He's a Mod over at ParallaxBill's Curio & Relic and Military Surplus Firearms Forums. You can find him in the stock cleaning forum but he is a member here too.

I have had good luck in the past (M1 Garand stocks) with Brownells acraglass with the dye and sawdust from the same stock mixed in. it takes a little work but turns out nice.

For oil soaked wood there are a number of treatments, frankly the best I have used for really bad cosmolined wood is frowned on by some but has worked well for me with stocks that are no historic value. it is easy off oven cleaner and boiling water. if you don't have cartouces you are trying to save it works well, and the worry about "drying" the wood is uver played. heck you are just getting the added petroleum products out of it and then adding linseed oil back. (what I usally use for a finish on stocks)

I have tried all the other methods, hot sun and wiping, alcohol and other solvents and sometimes the easy off is the ticket. I reserve that for really bad stocks. I have saved quite a few over the years.

Back
Top Bottom