• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stock repair on a 1903

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I have a very nice RIA 1903 that was restocked at some time in it's history with a newer style typical military stock - no grasping grooves on the forearm.

I recently acquired, for VERY cheap money, a very nice stock with grasping grooves that is much more appropriate to the rifle.

There is one problem with the stock and the reason it was cheap...there is an approx 5/16" hole drilled completely thru the main part of the stock. Why anyone would do that is beyond me...hang it on a nail maybe ?

I've done a lot of wood working in the past and was wondering what youse guys might suggest to minimize the appearance of a 'plug' which I think is the only way to repair it. I've thought of plugging it just below the surface and setting in a veneer patch, but that leaves a possible color issue and a bigger visible patched area.

It will be repaired one way or another. I just want an appropriate stock on it....It's not a museum piece...but I'd like the repair to be less than obvious and ugly.

Any suggestions?

That's goofy, it's thru the buttstock? How about a small dutchman for a repair, or hardwood dowel driven thru and sanded flush?

Pilgrim, I have an old sporterized stock with a nice finish on it you can have for plugs or a dutchman.

Grain would run the wrong way. Get a plug cutter and use collectors old stock or something else that is close in finish appearance. You may have to enlarge hole on surface to accept plug. Plug cutters are best used in a drill press. Good luck

I was concerned that just filling the hole with a dowel would look lousy as the grain would be the wrong way.

I didn't think about making a dowel. I already have an old bubba'd 1917 stock that I could make a dowel or dutchman from. I could make the dowel so that the side grain would be on the end of the dowel and would match the new stock better.

Better I think, would be a dutchman as that's what was originally done for repairs. I'm learning towards that but that will be more difficult.

As I get older, I find that thinking about things for a longer time before doing it usually works better !

Thanks for the ideas.

I was concerned that just filling the hole with a dowel would look lousy as the grain would be the wrong way.

I didn't think about making a dowel. I already have an old bubba'd 1917 stock that I could make a dowel or dutchman from. I could make the dowel so that the side grain would be on the end of the dowel and would match the new stock better.

Better I think, would be a dutchman as that's what was originally done for repairs. I'm learning towards that but that will be more difficult.

As I get older, I find that thinking about things for a longer time before doing it usually works better !

Thanks for the ideas.

Dennis,

As an alternative, how about calling attention to it with some sort of an inlay? That's not
that large of a hole. You could inlay a small caliber shell casing headstamp (military
headstamp of course), some mil insignia, or just a piece of blued metal if you can't
stand the noteriety, etc.

TBP

Dennis,

As an alternative, how about calling attention to it with some sort of an inlay? That's not
that large of a hole. You could inlay a small caliber shell casing headstamp (military
headstamp of course), some mil insignia, or just a piece of blued metal if you can't
stand the noteriety, etc.

TBP

BINGO !!! I could put a 30-06 casing head into it, one on each side !!!!!!!

Cut the head and primer off of 2 LC casings and epoxy one into both sides of the hole. Easy neat, clean.

Sheer Genius. Glad I thought of it ![smile]

Thanks, really. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom