stock refinish to match orange bakelite?

hey everyone,

ive decided to undertake an AK build, and after hours of perusing the internet ive decided i love the look of bakelite orange on a black AK. My question is, has anyone here ever refinished a stock in an orangie color? or have any ideas as to how to achieve this look?

this is what im working with...

before i stripped and sanded
jt8f1c.jpg

after stripped and sanded with a bakelite bayonet, and grip(that will be on the completed rifle)
34hw5yp.jpg

ive refinished two mosin stocks so its not so much a process im looking for, but rather a stain/or whatever that will get it close

this is what id LOVE to achieve
P1000819.jpg

thats from someome on ar15.com that refinishes and sells ak furniture, i asked him if he would share his product(s) but im doubtful he will

Probably the best way to get that shade is with a dye. You probably won't have much success at a place like Lowes or Home Depot but I'm betting if you bring one of the hand guards to a place that sells wood working supplies they might have something that works.

Well I lucked out, they guy who does those refinish jobs responded to me.

Its minwax colonial maple he uses but on NEW laminate furniture...

i tested a small spot on the stock and well I think its gonna be close enough for me...

2vbm0r4.jpg

Probably the best way to get that shade is with a dye. You probably won't have much success at a place like Lowes or Home Depot but I'm betting if you bring one of the hand guards to a place that sells wood working supplies they might have something that works.

what he said, but take a ride to WoodCraft store, that's in Woburn, they have very large selection of dies, it's just a matter of picking the shade right. I don't know of any wood that's naturally orange, so the color comes from dies.

If you wet the wood with hot water, it will open the pores and take the stain darker.
Dont soak it, hot water on a rag. Try in a inconspicuous spot first.

I agree with a dye first, then oil stain. After a few coats, the wood will have some great depth to it.

Last edited:
so i been working on the wood (tee hee) since saturday, and heres where im at

applied some pre stain, because well why not
nxols4.jpg

after a few coats, 1 or 2
net6jq.jpg

lost track here, maybe 6-8 coats
9joqw4.jpg

and where im at now, after about 8-10 coats of stain (i lost track)
2w6iblw.jpg

im happy with the color, couldn't ask for more out of beat up surplus furniture

now to figure out if i wanna do gloss or flat polyurethane

Back
Top Bottom