• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stock Question

Is there a way to pin a collapsible stock like the Magpul CTR that is not permanent and that will not ruin the stock or buffer tube. I know i could drill a small hole through the stock and the buffer tube and bang a small metal dowel through but i dont want to drill or ruin anything. Is there like a plug or any other type of stop i could use.

thanks for the help

All I can say is drilling the hole won't ruin it. I don't know of any way to do it that wouldn't leave any sort of marks on the stock. (I could probably think of a couple but I don't want to suggest anything because I am not sure if it would be viewed as fixed in the eyes of the law)

But it's worth it, because think of how many innocent children would die if stocks were allowed to be collapsed. You could also more easily pinch your finger.

Mike

Last edited:
Drill and tap, use a setscrew. I don't believe it has to permanent, just that you need tools to adjust. YMMV.

Half of the people on NES will tell you a setscrew is legally sufficient and the other half will tell you it's not. Personally I don't think it's worth risking the wrath of the overlords, so I use the blind pin method or just go with a fixed stock.

Here's a good blind pinning "how to" thread that should work for your CTR:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/83883-How-to-pin-a-Magpul-ACS-Stock

I would make damns sure whatever method you use is acceptable in the eye's of the law. It requires tools to remove a properly screwed on muzzle brake, but they must be pinned and welded. I would expect a more permanent means of securing than just a set screw would be required, though I am not sure. Just seems too easy.

The problem here is that nothing was ever defined in the law, so it's anyones guess (and a lawyer's argument) what is or isn't legal and until its challenged in court, there's really nothing to go on other than "generally accepted"

Regarding a Muzzle Break - the "evil" feature is actually the threads on the end of the barrel. The law states "A flash suppressor or threads to accept a flash suppressor" It has been generally accepted that bind pinning and welding (which can be removed with a tool - a drill) makes the threads no longer able to "accept a flash suppressor"

Regarding the stock - the Law says "Folding or Telescoping" stock, but never provides a definition for either. One school of thought is that if you add a feature that requires the user to use a tool to adjust the length of pull of the stock, the stock changes from a "telescoping" stock to an "Adjustable Length of Pull" stock like many precision target rifles use. Others disagree with that assement.

Eitherway, the key is to prevent the stock from being able to adjust on the fly. On many such stocks, it is possible to run a pin through the adjustment lever such that the lever can not be acctuated due to the interference of the pin. Again, this is a generally accepted method, but if it would hold up to a challenge in court is anyones guess since they never bothered to define "telescoping"

I have a pinned CTR stock that I pinned the same way (with a 1/8" roll pin). I added those pics to the original ACS how to. Here is what it looks like (through hole). It is easy.
IMG_6392_resize.JPG

Half of the people on NES will tell you a setscrew is legally sufficient and the other half will tell you it's not. Personally I don't think it's worth risking the wrath of the overlords, so I use the blind pin method or just go with a fixed stock.

Here's a good blind pinning "how to" thread that should work for your CTR:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/83883-How-to-pin-a-Magpul-ACS-Stock

Back
Top Bottom