Still Hunting with a Bow?

Left the Communistwealth for Live Free or Die!
I am relatively new to hunting, and this is my second season. I finally bought a climbing stand and although I am yet to take a deer, I have had deer come within shooting range of it, but due to cover in the shooting lane I was unable to take the shot.

Last year I tried still hunting and found it tough to get in range, though I have seen deer. Yesterday, I tried still hunting again in an area where the cover is low and no stand can be used, but the deer are often there. I took my time, almost an hour to get 50 yds into the swampy area. Once again, I spotted two large does (I have one antlerless permit) about 60 yds away, but as I approached at an even slower pace, they bolted off when I had only made it ten more yds. There was a stiff cross wind between us and I thought there was very little chance they could wind me. On top of it, the ground was wet and quiet and I was in full camo. I had done all I could to control my scent. This is about the third or fourth time this has happened to me. One of my theories is they can see my eyes. I have been trying to squint as I approach to avoid this.

Has anybody had any success still hunting with a bow? If it was gun season, this would have been a relatively easy take. Any advice on how to get closer or what might be going wrong?

I've done some still hunting and have had similar experiences. I don't know - my guess is they saw, smelled or heard you or some combination of that. Your or something else spooked them. Was the wind directly perpendicular to you and them? Were you making a beeline toward them? Did they lock eyes on you? Was there cover for you to use or where you a big camo blob moving in their direction?

I've had a pair of does run almost into me, stopping 20 yards from me. They made a semi circle and locked eyes where they came from. I figured coyotes or something had them preoccupied. Maybe the trees or brush pushed your scent to them.

Just some thoughts.

That's what I'll be doing until the the end of the year. I have
no stand,shotgun, or muzzleloader. Was out last Monday, and saw no
deer. Picked up a ton of footprints in the mud and next time I'll go out
with more confidence. There is this insanely large rock 30 yards just off
their trail, that's where I hope to kill one.

I have had some good luck with still hunting (I have some severe ADD when it comes to sitting in a stand all day so I do alot of walk and stalk hunting). One thing to try next time is to slowly get as low as you can and just don't move see where they are heading and then plan ahead of them. If you notice they are moving into a clearing or more open spot don't move to them move to the open shooting lane, mainly just try and stay a step ahead of them and let them walk into you instead of you to them.

I have sucessfully still hunted during archery season. It is very difficult to do and the majority of it is getting out of their sight and sneaking into an area where you think you will find them with in range.....I much prefer tree stand hunting. Be patient it will come

Are you wearing camo that breaks up your outline? If deer see movement they are just going to see an outline move, also make sure your using a non UV brightening detergent on your camo, they see into the UV spectrum, and if your not careful you end up glowing like a light bulb in your camo.

I started using a guille top and hat to break up my outline, and with good wind walk up within 10-15 yards

Fairly new myself - I've yet to take a deer - and am also bow only without a stand. This is my first year making a concerted effort to get out there. So far, I've tried "holing up" in a good location with strong cover and sitting (on the ground) for a few hours, then moving to a similar spot and sitting again. So far no luck. I am fine with remaining relatively motionless for long periods, but haven't seen anything come my way. Has anyone had success with this sort of approach, or am I fooling myself into thinking I could make it work without a stand?

I was out thismorning and sat on the edge of an old cranberry bog that is for some reason in the middle of the woods and this 6 pointer came walking into the oppossite corner. He was about to walk back out in a different spot when I hit my doe can when he wasn't looking and he started wagging his tail and looking around. He took like three big steps towards the other side of the field(not facing me) and then turned to walk out again. I hit my can again and he looked over his shoulder scanning the field for a minute and then just slowly walked off. I think it was because all the leaves falling thismorning the woods where loud it sounded like things walking around everywhere.

So I am getting frustrated. I have another spot I know hold deer I scoped out again last weekend. It is basically a bedding area from what I gather because everytime I walk into this area, I spook deer. So, this afternoon I decide to bring in my climber and set up just outside the bedding area hoping to catch them either leaving or coming back. I am trying to enter with the stand on my back like I am still hunting. As I am approaching the right tree to climb, I make a bit of noise and two very large does and a smaller one pop up 60 yds away and take off.

So I am upset because I figure they are not stupid enough to come back but I figure maybe a Buck will come by looking for love before shooting light ends. Nothing. Til next time.

I would get a chain and leave your climber if you don't need it less noise next time you go out tommorow will be rainy I like hunting the rain anything can happen.

It definatly takes some frsutrating mornings to be a hunter haha. I went 4 seasons before hitting my first deer. And then I took to long to trail him and had to wait till the next morning to find him and all I found was a gut pile and drag marks at the end of my blood trail. It will happen though hang on and suppossedly friday is one of Field and Streams "can't miss" days of the rut on thier calender, they have 7 listed.

I would get a chain and leave your climber if you don't need it less noise next time you go out tommorow will be rainy I like hunting the rain anything can happen.

You read my mind. I will buy another climber and stash it so I don't have to carry it leaving one to keep in my truck for other locations. It is awkward trying to be quiet when you add 30lbs on your back. I used the heavy wind and rain tonight to do some more scouting without worrying about noise. I am wondering if I have burned that other location for the season. I guess I will find out. This rookie will get one eventually.

when you say that you have done all for scent control - are you using a carbon shielded clothing with a cover spray? I was using a cover spray and scent discs, but until I got the scent protective clothing I could not the deer to routinely come in closer than 40 yds. Now I am religious about changing out of my hunting gear and putting in a large rubbermaid container with scent disks immediately after I get out of the woods.

It all depends on the location you are in and the deer that are there. I busted 2 bucks and a doe that where just off the path I couldn't see them at all while I was walking in, and today another deer sitting in the same spot not 24 hrs after I busted the other 2. If it is a hot spot it is a hot spot I have had pretty good luck with them coming right back in. The only thing I will say I have found is they will now only come in for grunting and rattling I had a large buck come into a field today after my rattling and grunting. He came into the field 60 yds away and he was looking around for the action so I waited for him to look away and grunted again and he took 2 big strides into the field and stopped again. It was raining pretty good and the wind was in my face so he didn't see or smell me but he ended up turning around and nothing was gonna bring him back into the field. And the morning before that I had a good sized 6 come into the same field different spot I wasn't calling just sitting, I hit my doe bleet can and he looked around didn't make contact with me put his tail up and ran. I am putting that damn can away probly for good after that and seeing the grunt and rattle bring in two deer the next moring.

when you say that you have done all for scent control - are you using a carbon shielded clothing with a cover spray? I was using a cover spray and scent discs, but until I got the scent protective clothing I could not the deer to routinely come in closer than 40 yds. Now I am religious about changing out of my hunting gear and putting in a large rubbermaid container with scent disks immediately after I get out of the woods.

Yes i am using carbon shield clothing from head to toe to fingertips with cover spray. I also shower with scent away products before I head out. I am convinced it is my cadence and being too loud at this point. Yesterday, with wet leaves on the ground, I went on a pre-construction site walk for work with aftershave and gel in the hair smelling like a barber shop and I jumped 4 deer bedding by a stream but not until I was 20 feet from them. I didn;t even see them (of course, I was not hunting or looking for them). I noticed I was absolutley silent due to the wet leaves and the wind was in my face. If I was hunting, I would have had the pick of the group. I wanted to shoot myself.

Back
Top Bottom