Stihl Chainsaw dealers

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
I loved Powerbarn in Bradford NH, but they’ve downsized their department. They have chains and a few saws now: they used to have the full line of Stihl and Husqvarna, as well aswedges, Peaveys, etc.

Anyone use a well-equipped dealer near 93 N from Boston to Concord, or up 89? I need a 25” bar, another chain, a couple scabbards, some wedges and a Peavey or similar.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
O'Connor True Value in Billerica....one of the better hardware stores around. They do a LOT of servicing

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
O'Connor True Value in Billerica....one of the better hardware stores around. They do a LOT of servicing
O'Connors is very good. I have bought some Stihl from them before. I've been going there for decades.

I've also used Chappell Tractor up in Milford - they have a very well stocked Stihl section and have always had parts in stock when I've gone there looking for stuff. Probably further away than you're looking to drive though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turf Depot in Londonderry has a good selection of Stihl products. They have another location in Salem, NH called Granz Power Equipment. Both are only a couple of miles off of 93.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Turf Depot in Londonderry has a good selection of Stihl products. They have another location in Salem, NH called Granz Power Equipment. Both are only a couple of miles off of 93.
I dropped off a stihl chainsaw at Granz once. Called up a week later and asked how they were doing. They told me it would be ready in another month. Had to drive all the way up there and get it, and then brought it to O'Connors. 2 days later it was ready for pickup.

Just one data point, but a bad one for Granz. When you need service on a power tool, you need it NOW...not a line of bullshit

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced a Husqvarna chain saw with a Stihl never again. The compression on it makes it almost impossible to start. Buy a Husky!

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I replaced a Husqvarna chain saw with a Stihl never again. The compression on it makes it almost impossible to start. Buy a Husky!
Lmao not sure if serious I've had the opposite problem, I have a husky that is brutal. I suspect that some saws have a release and some don't....

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My husky doesn't start at all. Need to drop it for service. But it didn't have 20 hours on it before it shit the bed.

And no, I didn't buy it from a box store, and no it didn't have old fuel in it and yes I used their 2 cycle oil.

Uzi2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My Stihl starts first pull every time.
Yours is the extreme exception to the rule. Make no mistake about it, they are the hardest starting chainsaws out there.

Every single person I've ever worked with cutting wood that used a Stihl saw were worn out trying to start it before we even got started cutting.

I'd buy a hand saw before buying a Stihl, they are the worst.

One my Husqvarna saws is 22 years old this year, it starts first or second pull, even on the coldest winter day and without ether either.. I've never seen a Stihl do that, or even start on the seventh, eighth or nineth pull.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
lol my husky might start on the 3rd pull if you do everything perfectly right including chant voodoo phrases at it etc....

wjsmall97

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll second Eddies in Derry, use to be a good shop in Chester, but his son runs it now and I go right by it to Derry.
Bill

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Want your saws to start on first pull? Eliminate the mixture limiting caps and turn them 1/4 to 1/2 turn richer. You and your saw will be much happier. A quick look on U Tube, a drywall screw removed them and the 6 or 7 saws I worked on will start first pull.

Last edited:

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yours is the extreme exception to the rule. Make no mistake about it, they are the hardest starting chainsaws out there.

Every single person I've ever worked with cutting wood that used a Stihl saw were worn out trying to start it before we even got started cutting.

One my Husqvarna saws is 22 years old this year, it starts first or second pull, even on the coldest winter day and without ether either.. I've never seen a Stihl do that, or even start on the seventh, eighth or nineth pull.
I pull and I pull.....but it stihl won't start!

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0

My experience is that after Ford vs Chevy pickup wars, the longest-running skirmish is Husqvarna vs Stihl chainsaws.

As we currently have an MS170, MS271, and MS461 the argument is moot. The [77cc] MS461 is a 2014. The previous owner was not aware it had a compression release and started it against compression. One hell of a man.

Demoman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
In commercial use most will go with stihl they out last everything else from chainsaws to gas cutoff saws the biggest problems are when chainsaws are not used every day or stored right. You can use a stihl in the ocean cutting piles every day and it will fire right up. We have around 25 chainsaws all stihl in different flavors and probably 40 ts 400 and 420 cut off saws. We tried the others and they dont hold up at all commercial grade. It's like try
To Compare a ford or chevy to a yugo

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0

I have both. The starting process from a Husky is somewhat different than a Stihl. A Husky is generally more forgiving if you flood it, or don't follow the correct process.

A Stihl......if you even think you hear a fart out of it, set the choke midway...otherwise you'll flood it bad.

To me both saws always started about the same.....if your pulling more than 3 times....your doing it wrong. Or your not keeping it in good service. I can take all three of my saws out of my garage at any time and they will start within 3 pulls, after I use them, I service them. Sharp and tight chains, I sharpen myself before and during use, clean air filter, clean spark plug. Every third or fourth use is a good blowgun cleaning with the compressor and fix any issues/check bolts and everything.

My Husky 45 is 20 years old, my ms290 Farm Boss 10 years old, and my MS362 5 years old, and my only "commercial" saw, but it's built better than most, and runs circles around the other two, and has a great power to weight ratio. If I could only have one saw, it would be the ms362.

Last edited:

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
My husky doesn't start at all. Need to drop it for service. But it didn't have 20 hours on it before it shit the bed.

And no, I didn't buy it from a box store, and no it didn't have old fuel in it and yes I used their 2 cycle oil.
With today's shxt fuel....it doesn't have to be old. Likely just a gelled up carb jet. Easy and cheap fix. Today's push mowers are notorious for being only a few years old but fall to cheap gas easily.

I use additive in the clear blue bottle or marine stabil and also use the expensive grade of fuel. Never had an issue with any of my small equipment, maybe it's overkill, but I've had zero gelled carbs in 25 years, and I run saws, blowers, mowers, trimmers and a generator. I dont even drain the gas anymore. They do get started once every two months. Except the mower and trimmer, that sits in the shed all winter.

Last edited:

Yazz

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0

Funny today it took me three pulls.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gota say my 18” echo runs like a raped ape and always starts with a couple pulls ! It’s the only tool I won’t lend out

rocket500

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Just was commenting to the wife today after knocking down a few trees that my Stihl is ~15 years old now and still runs like a top.

Blackmore

NES Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
With today's shxt fuel....it doesn't have to be old. Likely just a gelled up carb jet. Easy and cheap fix. Today's push mowers are notorious for being only a few years old but fall to cheap gas easily.
When they renovated the gas/convenience store on NH 11 in Sunapee, they put in a tank for 90 octane non-ethanol gas. It's all I put in my small engines now. Since it's at the base of the street going up to the Sunapee Harbor. boat launch, you often find it cluttered with trailered boats on weekends.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
We once got a free Husqvarna leaf blower “because it doesn’t start” and a 14” Poulan chain saw, “Because it doesn’t cut.” New fuel and the blower started right up, and the Poulan cut much better, once the chain was put on the right direction.” Gave it to my nephew.

Gota say my 18” echo runs like a raped ape and always starts with a couple pulls ! It’s the only tool I won’t lend out
They seem like good saws for the money. Think what hurts them is being sold at HD so no dealer network, though most chainsaw stuff seems pretty standard. The 60cc TimberWolf has a reputation as an outstanding “Bang for the buck” saw.
Company History, Technology Firsts, Outdoor Power Equipment Leader

Runnings in Claremont is an authorized Stihl dealer with a good inventory. They also fixed my ancient 031AVE for 20% of the Powerbarn estimate.
I LOVE that place! Tools, ammo, work clothing, and candy! Bought my mick boots there as well.

Need a 25” bar and two chains for the 461, 28” scabbard, etc. Have to stop by next week I guess. It’s a 20 minute drive or so.

PowerBarn used to charge $7 for chain sharpening. Then $8. Now it’s $10. It’s time to buy some sharpening tools and do it myself.

Last edited:

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
When they renovated the gas/convenience store on NH 11 in Sunapee, they put in a tank for 90 octane non-ethanol gas. It's all I put in my small engines now. Since it's at the base of the street going up to the Sunapee Harbor. boat launch, you often find it cluttered with trailered boats on weekends.
Is that over near the N end of the lake and 89?

We buy no Ethanol high test at the Goshen Country Store, in the center of Goshen on Rt 10. They also refill 20lb propane tanks for $14. But for off road diesel (and fireworks) we go to Newport, TBird mini mart. I hear you can pump 24/7, not sure. Only in NH do you have a fireworks store next to a gas station.....

FYI, the Hampton NH airport has MOGAS (no lead, no ethanol) at a self-service 24/7 pump. It’s about $5 per gallon.

strangenh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I've also used Chappell Tractor up in Milford - they have a very well stocked Stihl section and have always had parts in stock when I've gone there looking for stuff. Probably further away than you're looking to drive though.
Out of Zone, but Chappell Tractor in Milford (they have another branch - but I’ve never been) - they have everything.
Also in Milford if you're going off-zone is Engine House (owned by County Stores in the same plaza). Not as large as Chappell but they do know what they're doing.

Top Bottom