• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stick with 9mm or try out .40 I CANT DECIDE!

dEX

So I have a P320compact that I am quite fond of. I like the overall feel and want to expand using the X-Change kits. I don't own anything other than 9mm pistols and the whole X-Change kit concept is really nice for being able to shoot all sorts of calibers on the same platform.

I am going to pick up a full size P320 kit, either 9mm or .40 S&W. here is some info that may sway me one way or another:

- I have a few cases of 9mm ammo already. I have no .40 on hand but that's fixable but I would also feel compelled to stock another caliber.
- I have shot a few .40 pistols and they were fine but couldn't justify the additional cost of ammo over 9mm. I have since realized it can be almost the same cost if the ammo is sourced appropriately.
- I hope to do a full season of IDPA/USPSA starting next spring. The full size slide would put me in the SSP for IDPA. If my understanding is correct, .40SW would be easy to get into the Major PF group while 9mm is usually minor.
- I would need to get a handful of magazines for the .40 where as I could use my current 9mm mags on my current compact frame.
- I have a stash of HD/EDC 9mm ammo. I would feel compelled to also pick up .40 HD ammo just because.

I am leaning towards the 9mm kit but I also feel like I'm not making the most of the modularity of the system. OTOH, I really like to shoot 9mm and I'm finally starting to feel like I am getting half decent at it and there's no reason to throw more variability into the mix.

Is there any reason to have caliber versatility?? Am I just doing myself an overall disservice by wanting more variety?

HALP!

Last edited:
Stick with what you know from all the reasons you have listed you seem to have made your decision.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

9mm gets my vote. I'd only suggest .40 if you want to be very competitive in USPSA shooting Limited/Limited 10 or SS division. IDPA it doesn't matter since there is no major/minor scoring like USPSA.

as much as i like my 4013tsw I have not been compelled to buy anything else in 40

only reason i bought my 4013 is it feels good in my hands... double stack grip and at the time was a tad smaller than my 1911.... this was before 40 was well 40.

IMO the modularity of the 320 is a little oversold and overhyped. The pistol is phenomenal but by the time you get a kit and extra mags its nearly the price of a new gun.

A few reasons I like .40:
- barrel swap gets you to 357sig, which I really enjoy and prices have come down a bit
- Demand is lower so during panic buying the ammo is usually more available than 9mm
- Makes me better at shooting 9mm
- 165 gr loads can be super hot and fun to shoot
- 180 gr loads often have a nice push somewhat similar to 45acp

all that being said I still prefer 9mm. The 9mm cartridge shoots great out of pretty much ANY firearm whereas the .40 can be rough or excellent depending on the pistol.

I'm pretty much consolidated down to 9mm and .45. Not much use in my world for .40. I do a lot of IDPA's and some other shoots.

9mm is cheap so it's mostly what I shoot.

No, 9mm wont get you to a Major PF, but is that a concern? If it was for me, I'd just go with .45

Stick with 9mm.

For USPSA, major only counts for Limited, Open, and Single Stack. If you are shooting a P320, the most appropriate division would be Production. And Production is scored minor power factor. Shooting major power factor in production will just slow you down, but you don't get the major scoring.

If you reload, you could load .40 to minor power factor. You would likely have to change your recoil spring to accommodate the soft loads.

You all have affirmed my suspicion. Just put a deposit down on a full size kit with Sig Academy. Thanks for the input!

You all have affirmed my suspicion. Just put a deposit down on a full size kit with Sig Academy. Thanks for the input!

I didn't get a chance to chime in before you made your decision. Variety is the spice of life. Should have gone with the .40. [laugh]

Same as chris_1001 I had .40s before and sold them all.

The only one I still have is my H&K USP40 which im actively selling as well. As others have suggested if you are competitively shooting and .40 fits the bill for a certain class then go for it. I shoot for fun and id rather shoot .45 over .40 and buy .45 in bulk than have to get another type of ammo. 9mm is cheap and fun to shoot.

If you were going to carry and conceal and wanted a little extra kick then .40 isnt bad but I used to have a shield .40 and got rid of it for a glock g43 because I like to practice with my carry weapons and the .40 just got old trying to shoot 200+ rounds at the range.

I didn't get a chance to chime in before you made your decision. Variety is the spice of life. Should have gone with the .40. [laugh]
Hey hey hey this is a Sig question get back over on your side of the fence. If we need you we will ring the little bell.

Just my two cents but...when 9mm was pretty much impossible to find a couple years ago, I was still able to shoot a lot do to finding .40 at Walmart for a reasonable price. While I agree that sticking with 9mm is the way to go now that 9mm is everywhere but not a bad idea to stock up and shoot .40. I like 40 in my XDm

I think that 40 is the greatest caliber on the market, for IPCS major loads in competition. I own about four 40s all for competition use. Since I switched to USPSA Production and IDPA SSP I am shooting nothing but 9mm.

I think that 9mm is the better all around cartridge mainly because it is cheaper to shoot, either factory or reloads.

Just say no to People's Kaliber of 10mm Kurz

... unless it's in a metal gun that you're using for action shooting in a division that requires Major but doesn't allow 9mm Major or 38 Super (ie, USPSA Limited)

I wouldn't buy a bunch of .40 self defense ammo if you already have 9mm stuff and train with it. 9/40/45 are all very similar with modern ammo -- the 147gr HST works about as well as any pistol round can (rifles are way better for home defense).

Last edited:
Just my two cents but...when 9mm was pretty much impossible to find a couple years ago, I was still able to shoot a lot do to finding .40 at Walmart for a reasonable price. While I agree that sticking with 9mm is the way to go now that 9mm is everywhere but not a bad idea to stock up and shoot .40. I like 40 in my XDm

This. I have Glock 23 and the glock 19. When times were had-40 could still be found. And with a 40 you can drop in a 40 cal barrel. Don't get stuck on one caliber. Everyone likes 9mm. And that can be a problem when there is a panic.

Hey hey hey this is a Sig question get back over on your side of the fence. If we need you we will ring the little bell.

I love the Glock harassment haha. I have sub-2000 mags that say Glock on them for some reason...weird. [wink]

(in 9mm by the way, as it suits this conversation) I just didn't want to stock another round. If you want to go up from 9mm, widen your stride and step up to .45 ACP. Especially you "SIG guys"

I love the Glock harassment haha. I have sub-2000 mags that say Glock on them for some reason...weird. [wink]

(in 9mm by the way, as it suits this conversation) I just didn't want to stock another round. If you want to go up from 9mm, widen your stride and step up to .45 ACP. Especially you "SIG guys"
I go both ways 9mm and .45 but I just can't get into .40 I experimented with 10mm and Sig 357 but that was with another girl back in college.

I like the .40. It's my go to SD caliber. Buffalo Bore +P and you're around 10mm energy. (Not for use in glock barrels)

9mm is much more versatile though. Effective for plinking and sd.

However, I tend to shoot more .40 because it's my carry gun.

As others have stated, you will typically find an assortment of .40 on the shelves when 9mm and .45 are sold out.

This. I have Glock 23 and the glock 19. When times were had-40 could still be found. And with a 40 you can drop in a 40 cal barrel. Don't get stuck on one caliber. Everyone likes 9mm. And that can be a problem when there is a panic.

Well, the real solution is to learn from what happened last time, and not let your stash get to the point where you're trying to buy ammo at Walmart during a panic [laugh]

I like the .40. It's my go to SD caliber. Buffalo Bore +P and you're around 10mm energy. (Not for use in glock barrels)

Well lets be clear here -- very hot 40SW might be close to the "10mm FBI" load that the 40SW is directly derived from. Hot 40SW is nowhere near Norma spec 10mm, or the thermonuclear 10mm stuff us handloaders concoct.

Last edited:
Well, the real solution is to learn from what happened last time, and not let your stash get to the point where you're trying to buy ammo at Walmart during a panic [laugh]

Well lets be clear here -- very hot 40SW might be close to the "10mm FBI" load that the 40SW is directly derived from. Hot 40SW is nowhere near Norma spec 10mm, or the thermonuclear 10mm stuff us handloaders concoct.

This is true. They are separate designs.

.40sw is basically a neutered 10mm, adopted by the FBI due to some users unable being uncomfortable with the 10mm recoil.

10mm has more potential and versatility with the larger case volume.

Just looking at the used .40's at the LGS tells me that there is more to it than just ammo availability. 2 or 3 40s&w to each 9mm in the used case.
If I were to go back to big bore pistols I pick another 45acp. I know from experience that they are good on deer. A 200 grain slug poking along at 1100 fps drops them in their tracks at 25 yards.

Last edited:
I'm pretty much consolidated down to 9mm and .45. Not much use in my world for .40. I do a lot of IDPA's and some other shoots.

9mm is cheap so it's mostly what I shoot.

No, 9mm wont get you to a Major PF, but is that a concern? If it was for me, I'd just go with .45

^same

Assuming you're talking about USPSA where you can shoot 9mm loaded to major PF in Open division, and where in Limited division you can only be competitive with 40 -because it makes major and offers greater magazine capacity than 45.

The only division in which your comment makes sense is Singlestack, where 40 or 45 may be used for major, and both are restricted to an 8 round magazine. But the OP is speaking specifically of the Sig P320, so your comment is completely irreverent.

To the OP:
If you intend to shoot only IDPA, stay with 9. If you try USPSA, and I recommend you do, get the 9 if you want to shoot in Production division, or the 40 if you want to hop up the gun with an extended magwell and extended mags and play in Limited.

Assuming you're talking about USPSA where you can shoot 9mm loaded to major PF in Open division, and where in Limited division you can only be competitive with 40 -because it makes major and offers greater magazine capacity than 45.

The only division in which your comment makes sense is Singlestack, where 40 or 45 may be used for major, and both are restricted to an 8 round magazine. But the OP is speaking specifically of the Sig P320, so your comment is completely irreverent.

To the OP:
If you intend to shoot only IDPA, stay with 9. If you try USPSA, and I recommend you do, get the 9 if you want to shoot in Production division, or the 40 if you want to hop up the gun with an extended magwell and extended mags and play in Limited.

Some guns handle major loads better than others. I don't think that the SIG 320 is a good candidate for limited major, but excellent for production. Limited Division is dominated by pistols designed for major loads; the 320 is not.

Back
Top Bottom