1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

STI Shipping to MA (online retailers)

Discussion in 'Pistol Competition' started by ManOnTarget, May 17, 2019.

1. ManOnTarget

ManOnTarget NES Member

Hey All,

I am currently trying to find an STI for IDPA (Specifically a Marauder) and I just had a really confusing interaction that I'm hoping someone might know something about. I actually purchased a Marauder from Budsgunshop.com and seeing as it is on the approved Target Roster (and in this case came with 10rnd mags) I assumed it would be ok to ship to a MA FFL. I then got an email from BUDS saying that this gun was not compliant in MA and that I needed to call them. After some back and fourth they told me that there is a "separate list for online firearms retailers that is published by the governor". It wasn't the EOPSS list or the target roster but some other list that BUDS had. They said that because it wasn't on their list, they wouldn't send it and they refunded my purchase price and now I'm still looking for my Marauder.

My question is, does anyone know what they were talking about? I even went so far as to contact an FFL that deals with alot of STI guns and they didn't know what they were talking about either.

Thanks for any light you might be able to shed.......

(If this is posted in the wrong spot just let me know, I figured you folks might know if this is an STI specific issue or not)

2. daekken

daekken NES Member

They're blowing smoke up your behind.
    Can your shop order you one?

andrew1220 likes this.
  3. peterk123

peterk123

I have had issues with Buds in the past, trying to purchase a Ruger 22 rifle. I will not use them. Try grabagun (assuming they have it). The marauder is compliant.

andrew1220 likes this.
  4. ManOnTarget

ManOnTarget NES Member

Unfortunately that model was discontinued recently by STI so the used market is what Im going off of. I have a couple leads so I am sure I will find one. That being said, this is something that has been bought and sold at shops all over MA and is clearly compliant. I just didn't understand bud's logic on refunding the purchase.

5. daekken

daekken NES Member

I don't think there is anything to understand, my guess is they are using the generic list and don't know (or don't care) about the target roster.
    Sorry.

andrew1220 and Len-2A Training like this.
  6. bgoum

bgoum NES Member

Personally, I have never heard of an online retailer "separate list". Would not surprise me though with the stealth tactics used in the AG's office to discourage anyone from selling to MA.
    Several years ago as a MA consumer I tried to order some 9mm frangible ammo from them and have it shipped to my sister's NH address.
    But because my credit card had a MA billing zip code they said NFW. So needless to say I generally steer clear of buds.

7. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

8. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Because puds sucks and blows all at once.

-Mike

banditone and andrew1220 like this.
  9. ManOnTarget

ManOnTarget NES Member

I have a post up in the WTB forum. I think there are a few floating around out there. Though, if you hear of any send em' my way!

10. ManOnTarget

ManOnTarget NES Member

I will say, I have not had a great experience.....

11. SJan

SJan

andrew1220 likes this.
  12. nutsym16

nutsym16 NES Member

Ask for a copy of the Governor's list.

HorizontalHunter likes this.
  13. CrackPot

CrackPot NES Member

The level of crap from buds on this is excessive. They have NO liability associated with shipping ANY gun to a MA FFL. The restrictions are on the FFL who will transfer to the MA resident. Even if the MA FFL won't transfer it, so what? Buds has your money and shipped where you told them to.

andrew1220 likes this.
  14. quiller

quiller NES Member

Spot on. Buds is totally off the hook and they get paid. Lets face it we don’t want to deal with the $tit in MA...can’t expect anyone else to either. But, that some serious hot air. Good luck finding one. BTW post a WTB on the Brain Enos site...you’d never know what’s going to show up.

Happy feet likes this.
  15. ManOnTarget

ManOnTarget NES Member

Thanks!

16. Behind Enemy Lines

Behind Enemy Lines Dealer NES Member

Special Message from ATF: State Laws and Published Ordinances | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

"The GCA prohibits licensees from selling or delivering a firearm to anyone whose receipt or possession of the firearm would violate State or local laws applicable at the place of sale or delivery."

While in this specific case it doesn't apply, it's probably why they won't do it.

17. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

Not surprised. It’s well known that buds flat out refuse to ship any guns/mags to MA. Sorry you had to find that out after the fact lol.

Have you looked on gunbroker?

18. banditone

banditone NES Member

Buds doesn’t even have guns. It’s all drop shipped.

andrew1220 likes this.
  19. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

They don't even want to risk a CC chargeback, considering their business model is likely based on making like 10 bucks on a gun.... [rofl]

andrew1220 and Jason Flare like this.
  20. CrackPot

CrackPot NES Member

This would apply to Buds when a MA resident went to their shop and purchased a long gun. As you said, irrelevant in this case.

21. CrackPot

CrackPot NES Member

They advertise typically around $25 above distributor price to dealers taking into account stocking dealer and other deals

22. Behind Enemy Lines

I picked up a STI Trojan in 9mm for short money at Bud's, their used gun prices in store are usually pretty good(also scored a Mark 23 for very short money - they had 2 and I kick myself for not getting the other one). OP I'm headed to Lexington Monday, I'll stop in and see if the Marauder is there. [cheers]

andrew1220 likes this.
  23. ManOnTarget

ManOnTarget NES Member

used STI Marauder 9mm 10rd

It even had 10rnd mags! Perfect for these parts.

andrew1220 likes this.
  24. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

The Trojan is not in the same league as their machined from bar stock guns. The Trojan is a cast gun that I think is made in the Phillippines.

andrew1220 likes this.
  25. Behind Enemy Lines

If it's there you can send me the $ through whichever E-pay app you use and I'll either bring it home or send it to your FFL.

Oh I know, but it's not in the same price league either! [laugh]

Len-2A Training and andrew1220 like this.
  26. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

OP, I’d definitely take them up on this very generous offer. Assuming it’s there of course lol.

27. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

I was told that the AG's office "wanted in" on the Formal Target Shooting Roster so that they could veto those guns for MA inmates. The report (by someone who was at that meeting) was that the AG's office representative was pissed off that they were told that in no way would they get to pass judgement on what was legal if it was on that particular roster.

Therefore, if any distributor/non-MA/MA dealer were to contact the MA AG's office to ask about the legality of a particular gun on the Formal Target Shooting Roster I would NOT be surprised if they answered in a way to imply that it wasn't legal (something like "we have not approved that gun") . . . which would put said distributor/dealer on edge about shipping it to MA!

Absolutely true. A MA dealer can legally buy and sell a new AW to someone outside MA by shipping to their non-MA FFL. However, dealers/distributors get nervous about MA gun laws and it's easier to just say NO SALES TO MA!

See my comment above this, but I understand your point too.

andrew1220 likes this.
  28. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

I think that's almost a guarantee of what's happened unfortunately.

29. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Trojan uses a cast frame but is not made in the Philippines. The spartan was made in the Philippines by armscor.

I don't think there is a difference between cast and forged if they are machined correctly after. Caspian uses cast and no one complains about them

drgrant likes this.