• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

STI Edge

TheWookie

Banned
I'm looking at a STI Edge in .45ACP and I have a few questions. I have done some fairly extensive reading on the gun, and I know a guy who shoots one in competitions.

What I want is some "other" feedback,, does anyone around here have one, or has shot one?

According to much of my reading, STI's are not mass produced, but each gun is hand fit to exacting tolerances for precise function and reliability. But if you go to the big name online dealers, they say before any gun goes out it is personally checked by so-and-so depending on the site, for fit, finish and reliability. Is this really necessary? According to reputation, STI is extremely user friendly and stand behind their guns...but according to reputation so is say Brazos, or Shooters Connection or Dawson.

So, is it worth getting it through one of the online dealers or is STI's reputation good with respect to quality and customer service?

Any thoughts/assistance?

If your looking for a double stack and have the finances you have to look no furthur.

The Edge is an excelent choice. Fit and finish is very good, and smooth as silk.

You will probably have to tune your mags, but it's no rocket science to do.

Bob
Edge_L.jpg

I'm looking at a STI Edge in .45ACP and I have a few questions. I have done some fairly extensive reading on the gun, and I know a guy who shoots one in competitions.

What I want is some "other" feedback,, does anyone around here have one, or has shot one?

According to much of my reading, STI's are not mass produced, but each gun is hand fit to exacting tolerances for precise function and reliability. But if you go to the big name online dealers, they say before any gun goes out it is personally checked by so-and-so depending on the site, for fit, finish and reliability. Is this really necessary? According to reputation, STI is extremely user friendly and stand behind their guns...but according to reputation so is say Brazos, or Shooters Connection or Dawson.

So, is it worth getting it through one of the online dealers or is STI's reputation good with respect to quality and customer service?

Any thoughts/assistance?

You more than likely will get a well sorted out gun straight from STI, and if not they will fix it asap as their customer service is second to none.

If you are not running one for competitions, I would go straight to STI or the online dealers you mentioned.

If I was going to use it for competition, there is a significant amount of parts I would modify, so it would be cheaper in the long run and I would have a better gun with a custom or semi custom

If I was getting a widebody, it would be a custom from Bedell as they are not much more than a tuned STI from Brazos, 2nd would be to have Bedell tune it, third would be a Brazos tuned then a factory.

If you are set on an Edge, great. I have a STI Eagle 6" and it has proven to be a very good gun. I do not like the STI Ambi safety as it is cheap stamped and not strong. Mine was replaced with Ed Brown.

Now, if it is not taken by the person I offered it to first, the Eagle is going on the block as a rather complete package. Watch the classifieds.

I do not like the STI Ambi safety as it is cheap stamped and not strong. Mine was replaced with Ed Brown.
This is where you get into some of the subtle SVI vs. STI differences. The Ed Brown safeties were, last I checked, castings. The current production SVI safeties are CNC machined from bar stock. Call up both companies and ask questions like "Are there any cast parts in your gun? If so, which ones?"

I'm not unbiased - I've got a bunch of SVIs and have worked with their president on numerous projects over the years. If you ever want to check a few out in person in Eastern MA, PM me. No, none of mine are for sale.

SVI is also very "dog friendly" as well. Very.

Great info, thanks - it really helps. I have a tough decision to make,, but since I have to go ahead from the old lady I think it's much easier now.

Just curious, why an Edge in 45? If you're going to shoot USPSA Limited, 40 has a not insignificant capacity advantage.

Back
Top Bottom