• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

STi 1911s

peterk123

NES Member
So I made the error of bringing my wife to a gun shop to look at a p226 or 1911 in 9mm, like the ruger. So they handed her a STI Marauder, just to feel the difference. Talk about upselling. So here is the question. Is STI that good, and are there other STIs that are nearly as nice as the one that was in her hand, but are, let's say, a grand less? My friend has a S&W Performance Center. Not a cheap gun neither, but much less and quite nice.

Gun is for target shooting and the home. We will be sharing the gun and it will be my/our christmas and my 50th bday present, so getting something nicer can be "justified".

Pete

I think STIs are worth it. The maruader is nice but kind of priced high compared to an eagle or edge on 9mm. Drop me a pm and I can poi t you to some retailers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have a maruader and they are worth it. Especially it has a rail for home defense if need be. Thing racks on bearings, love it. The only that sucks is the price of the firearm and mags. I had a s&w and for extra couple hundred I would get a sti.

Just give in. In my experience if she wants it she'll get it. If you give in now it will save you weeks of heartache.

STI Guardian Less Expensive

I recently bought a slightly used STI Guardian for $900 at my LGS and it is as nicely made and as almost as smooth as my STI Tac 5.0. These are both recent purchases, I haven't had a chance to fire either of them, but, based on dry firing, I can't see any difference in machining, fit or finish. This is just one man's subjective opinion but the Guardian takes a little more force to rack the slide, not much, just a little. However, this has to be interpreted in light of a) my Tac 5.0 had several hundred rounds through it according to the history I was given while the Guardian was either unfired or only a magazine or two at most, so the Tac is more 'broken in' and b) the Guardian is Commander-sized and single stack, so there is, comparatively, not as large a surface area to hold on for leverage on the grip.

Right now there is a used Guardian on Gunbroker with a BIN price of 900 so if your dealer will do the transfer for you that would be an option to consider.

Any other Guardian owners have anything to add, agree or disagree?

Edge is fabulous even with a polymer lower. Accuracy is stunning. Makes a crappy shooter like me look great.

Last edited:
STI has a great reputation. I am not a big fan of polymer lowers and would try to get one in steel.

STI has a great reputation. I am not a big fan of polymer lowers and would try to get one in steel.
The SVI and STI plastic frames are the same, but SVI no longer offers the plastic frames. There are differences in the wide body metal frames between the two brands, and I think SVI did a bit of a better job (but I am rather biased, since the pres of SVI is a good friend).

A friend of mine acquired one used and it is ****ing ludicrous. The trigger is unbelievable. Don't know that I would use it for home defense, but I would certainly use it on the range.

I don't own a 1911 yet but the S&W performance center one was on the list. After shooting the STi, I am definitely conflicted.

The Hextac ones give me that special feeling in my gentleman's region.

Check out the Springfield and Colt 9mm 1911’s which are now easy to get in MA, both very nice and a lot less expensive

STIs are premium quality, but you have to be careful what model you get. Their wide body guns (like the Marauder) are machined in Texas, however, the Trojan was a cast frame gun from the Phillippines.

Last edited:
I am definately looking for a 2011 Costa VIP in 9mm. I like the magazine capacity being higher for when I move out of this state. I’d really like to see if a dealer has one and get a feel for what I am looking at.

the SVI look great, but I am not looking for a competition gun, but a hi capacity concealable carry gun I get get wher when I do move in a few years, I just purchase magazines and I am good.

Back
Top Bottom