• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sterling, MA Rabbit Hunter with the Beagle - Thank you!

This is a long shot but if that rabbit hunter I met while out flying my hawk reads this....THANK YOU so much for the new location. I took my bird there yesterday and she nailed a rabbit in less than ten minutes. I never got your name but you are absolute class. This lady falconer thanks you.

Buddy of mine used to do the falconry thing. He took me and my son on a group hunt some years back.
Freezing cold day, almost no game, but watching a hawk chase a rabbit through trees that I'd have problems walking through was something else.

Not my idea of how I'd like to hunt, but it was way cool. Props to you, for keeping it going.

Years ago I was heading south on 24 and saw a redtail hawk in the grass. Didnt look normal,so I turned around , found where it was and proceeded to chase it through some thick woods as it only flew a few feet at a time. As I walked back to my car to grab a towel, MSP showed up and I explained what I was doing and he said no problem. Long story short, I ended up catching it and putting it in my car . IT didnt weigh much at all and made me wonder why people hunt birds at all as there wasnt that much meat on this one.

Years ago I was heading south on 24 and saw a redtail hawk in the grass. Didnt look normal,so I turned around , found where it was and proceeded to chase it through some thick woods as it only flew a few feet at a time. As I walked back to my car to grab a towel, MSP showed up and I explained what I was doing and he said no problem. Long story short, I ended up catching it and putting it in my car . IT didnt weigh much at all and made me wonder why people hunt birds at all as there wasnt that much meat on this one.
But how did it taste

Not a closely guarded secret at all, just a highly regulated sport with a lengthy licensing process.
I knew it was strictly regulated.
Expensive?
I was very interested in getting a license about 30 years ago. Between the regulations and costs of providing what was required and the needs of training/exercise, I backed away. Back then I figured around $1,600 to get a start on it.

Haw about it Gamehawker? how much to start out these days?

I was very interested in getting a license about 30 years ago. Between the regulations and costs of providing what was required and the needs of training/exercise, I backed away. Back then I figured around $1,600 to get a start on it.

Haw about it Gamehawker? how much to start out these days?
The biggest expense is building the facility. If you are a carpenter or an experienced DIY'er, building the mews can cost only as much as the material which is at minimum an 8'x8' enclosure for a red-tail hawk. I am neither of those things so went with an 8'x12' shed kit from Home Depot that I had them install. You can make a lot of your own equipment (anklets, jesses, leashes, hoods, travel box) but there are some things that are going to cost money. A good gauntlet, a bow perch for the lawn and other more expensive items that are not necessary but really nice to have like GPS telemetry. The license itself I think cost $25 after I passed the test, found a sponsor, build my facilities, etc. Of course you need some hawk food too which can be as simple as chicken thighs but a full food diet is best (whole quail, rabbit, squirrel, mice, rats etc). Before I got started I spent a bunch of money on books but that is a personal choice. Of course there's the gas you use taking your bird hunting which is the entire point of it all. So the simple answer to your question of how much to start is really down to the build of the mews so I can't really put a number on it. My shed kit when I bought it (pre-pandemic) was $1300 but that doesn't include installation. So your $1600 is probably on the low end if you build it yourself and add in everything.

Last edited:
Where do you hut with this bird, my son and I would love to see this.

I live in Sterling.
I tried out Hog Hill at first but didn't have much luck and that is where I ran into the hunter who inspired this thread. Unfortunately, falconry hunting season ends on the 11th (we get a little more time than gun hunters) so in a little over a week we'll be done until next October. If you PM me your info, I can let you know if I'll be out there again before season close.

I tried out Hog Hill at first but didn't have much luck and that is where I ran into the hunter who inspired this thread. Unfortunately, falconry hunting season ends on the 11th (we get a little more time than gun hunters) so in a little over a week we'll be done until next October. If you PM me your info, I can let you know if I'll be out there again before season close.

Sounds good, thanks!

I figured hawks can eat whenever they want, why do they put them in a season? That doesn't make any sense.

Back
Top Bottom