• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sten kits

SKS Ray

NES Member
I see Sten kits popping up here and there lately. I could have sworn I saw one at an NES shoot that someone had built, but never thought much about it until the recent batches of kits started showing up.

Has anyone here built one? If so, how would you rate the difficulty and what about barrels, receiver availability, etc.

I had my sten build at the porsche shoot. I built mine on a mk2 kit. My first build I used an Indy ordinance semi conversion kit. Made it stupid simple. I used a mill but it could have easilly been done with a dremel. I have another kit laying around that I will probably machine all the semi components myself.

Couple other observations on stens.
Its possible to build a vertical mag sten. A couple companies make 80% receivers for these.
Sten mags suck....seriously they suck to load and have huge variations in manufacturing. Something like 25% of my mags wont feed correctly. They are cheap but it sucks to clean, function check and then have to cull such a large percentage of mags.

i have a MKIII kit that i have got all ready to go.
cut and ground off all the dewatted original receiver remnants.
i have a new tube with template, just need to get around to actually spending a couple hours with the dremel and my mig welder to assemble.

i also need to order a barrel extention from indy ordnance Indianapolis Ordnance
and decide if i wand to do my own semi-auto bolt or buy one

Last edited:
I have not done one yet either, but I would like to. I have seen sten build info on both gunco and weaponsguild.

anyone have some handy links to build guides?

If not, I'll do some forum browsing later tonight and will post up. I haven't been on gunco in a long time.

how are these different from Sterlings? Probably not much, basically just two tube guns with most of the receiver needed to be made narrower and mandatory semi-auto crap gotten somewhere else.

The 16" barrel requirement really puts a damper on these builds, unless you seek $200 voluntary rape.

anyone have some handy links to build guides?

If not, I'll do some forum browsing later tonight and will post up. I haven't been on gunco in a long time.

Weaponsguild.

They have a section just for this gun plus a crap load more . Can't make a part or find one . They'll be some one on the site that can .
They have a section for blue prints also.
A few guys made them with a vertical mag and using Uzi mags etc . A couple of the builds I read they just built every thing from scratch .

They also go into detail about making them striker or hammer fire .

Anyone still interested in getting a build party going? I have been trying to talk myself out of building one but am losing the battle...

Sten MkIII kit $89
IO 16" Barrel $140
IO Receiver tube $130
IO Semi-auto parts $285

Total $644 (you could save around $45 if you went with a short barrel and welded on an extension)
Not real cheap but hey its a piece of WWII history and what a fun project...
Requires a small amount of welding but nothing too difficult for the amateur...

If you have access to a small mill & lathe, much of the work can be done for way less $$. The receiver tubes can be made without anything but a Dremel if you spend some time on it.
Check out weaponsguild.com for lots of build-it-yourself info.

Back
Top Bottom