STEN Build: strictly amateur

Okay! My IO parts have shown up. I was curious about what I'd receive, given some of the photos I've seen online of the templates. For starters, here's a look at a couple of the things you get:

Directions.JPGBolt comparisons.JPG

The directions seem pretty comprehensive. I'm going to read them several times to make sure I know WTF I'm supposed to do. The IO bolt, on the left, is drilled for the guide rods and does not include an extractor. You're supposed to harvest that from the original bolt (right). The IO firing pin channel is drilled for a standard AR FP, included, rather than the original's fixed FP.

Now then. I've seen a lot of online shots lately of STEN tubes with templates glued on. IO's website currently shows this as being what you get when you order:

1591118298544.png

The one they actually send out is improved. For starters, it includes drill centers for each of the slots.

Center Holes.JPG

In addition, they've fixed up the sizing for the ejection port. A lot of build info online suggests that builders used to prefer to size their ports against the original receiver remnant because IO's template sized the hole to fit the similar hole cut in the magwell, which were two different sizes on the originals. The template now reflects the original port:

Ejection Port.JPG

Finally, though I wasn't too worried about it, I checked to make sure my original barrel nut, my Sarco barrel, and my IO barrel bushing would mate up properly. Yay!

Barrel fitment.JPG

In the background of some of these you can see a steel bar I've been using for my tentative efforts at producing a consistent weld bead. I'm not confident about that yet: though I can, apparently, stick metal together, I can't yet make the bead look like I want it to. I'll make sure to practice more.

You need to be practicing on steel that is the same thickness as your tube and trigger housing, that way you can adjust your heat, wire feed speed and hand motion to obtain the correct penetrating weld without burn through.

Practicing on thicker steel is not beneficial at this point in your learning process.

Hand fit the ejector......it might be tedious but it will be right and youl'll only have to weld it once.

Last edited:
You need to be practicing on steel that is the same thickness as your tube and trigger housing, that way you can adjust your heat, wire feed speed and hand motion to obtain the correct penetrating weld without burn through.

Practicing on thicker steel is not beneficial at this point in your learning process.

Hand fit the ejector......it might ge tedious but it will be right and youl'll only have to weld it once.

I've been mostly practicing on the cut-off sections of the old receiver. Heat and feed speed are almost dialed in; I'm working on my hands.

It's an interesting experience. Goes FAST.

Nothing much to add. Just drillin' and Dremeling.

01 Drilling.JPG02 J-hook.JPG

I'll be filing and deburring for awhile once I get into work and pick up my needle files. I find that kind of thing soothing. Anyone know how to get this template off? I'm thinking of just using a scraper? Following up with some solvent to get the adhesive off?

View attachment 362208View attachment 362209

I'll be filing and deburring for awhile once I get into work and pick up my needle files. I find that kind of thing soothing. Anyone know how to get this template off? I'm thinking of just using a scraper? Following up with some solvent to get the adhesive off?

Glue and tar remover will get it off. I have a few cans of Acrysol you can soak it in.

How are you making out with the build?

View attachment 362208View attachment 362209

they probably used some sort of PSA, so I would probably try Goo Gone or lighter fluid to start. Maybe acetone if you have it around. Sometimes warm water or a heat gun is enough. Really depends on the chemistry.

Great project, I'm looking forward to how it comes along.

they probably used some sort of PSA, so I would probably try Goo Gone or lighter fluid to start. Maybe acetone if you have it around. Sometimes warm water or a heat gun is enough. Really depends on the chemistry.

Great project, I'm looking forward to how it comes along.

LOL! Me too... it's a continual work in progress. I've got both Goo Gone and naphtha at work, and I keep forgetting to bring them home.

Back
Top Bottom