Steel targets (where to buy and what)

I was thinking a few gong style circle steel targets.
Do you buy online? Make your own? Someone here makes and sells them?
seems like AR500 steel is the hot set up and the targets themselves can be found very cheap on various websites. It's the stands that are kind of pricy. I guess I can put some effort and make my own stand if I really wanted to.
Also what thickness steel do I want for 223 and/or 308?

We sell 3/8" AR500 targets on our website, our prices are some of the best you will find and if youre local to the Worcester area, you can do a pickup and save on even shipping. All our targets are cut on a fiber optic laser. The cuts are crisp, clean and it keeps the heat out of the metal vs. using a plasma and such.

I use one of our Half size IPSC targets with my .308 bolt gun at 100-300 yards and it has been holding up phenomenally. Its been hit with everything from .22-.44MAG and multiple rifle cartridges as well, aside from a few small nicks it almost looks new.

We sell 3/8" AR500 targets on our website, our prices are some of the best you will find and if youre local to the Worcester area, you can do a pickup and save on even shipping. All our targets are cut on a fiber optic laser. The cuts are crisp, clean and it keeps the heat out of the metal vs. using a plasma and such.

I use one of our Half size IPSC targets with my .308 bolt gun at 100-300 yards and it has been holding up phenomenally. Its been hit with everything from .22-.44MAG and multiple rifle cartridges as well, aside from a few small nicks it almost looks new.

Do you have a store or I order online and pickup?

Last edited:
We dont have a store front, as selling just AR500 targets would never net enough by itself to afford rent alone. If you would like to order some feel free to shoot me a PM and we can arrange pickup. Also check out the group buy section, we do have green member pricing which does save a few bucks as well depending on what you buy.

Saw some AR500 targets as you go into the Gun Parlor but good to know there's another central MA option.

I use a 8" gong that has a 3" hole in it with a 3" gong in the center that swings independently. Its called a "bullseye gong" and looks like this:
bullseye-1.jpg

To hold it i came up with a simple solution:

I bought a 3' length of 3/8" threaded rod and a 6$ sawhorse kit and had a cheap and easy stand 5 minutes later.

Paxton right? Not even 5 minutes from me

I also use a garden shepherd's hook. Works nicely and cheap. Hang the plate with a quick link of chain to flip the plate 90 deg. so that the hanger is off to the side, out of harms way.

I have to hammer mine into the ground each time I go to the range so I welded some extra steel along the bottom areas. Multiple hammerings bends it out of shape without the extra support.

There is a guy that has been at the recent gun shows and makes/sells steel targets.

Likely he'll be at the Marlboro show on 9/24-25.

these are very good and the 2 options for mounting holes was a plus!

Gun shows are a good source. We've attended the NRA convention the last two years and there are several companies selling them there at discounts for carry-out. I think next year is in Atlanta so that might be a BIT of a commute for you.

I recently picked up some steel targets, does anyone have some good safety tips for using them? Should I avoid certain bullet types like FMJ?

I've got two of these that I have been using over the last 3-4 years. You can shoot them with rifle calibers at 100 yards but I found that the weld can't handle the abuse after awhile so I only shoot these with pistol. They have since gone up in price in the last few years. If you buy direct from Action Target you have the option of buying AR550 steel vs. the AR500 that is sold by Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...tice-targets-w-standard-shapes-prod40393.aspx

For rifle, I picked up one of these kits as I already had some 8" predrilled steel plates. Just need to supply the conduit piping (Lowes or HD charges like $13 for 20 feet and will cut it for you). Then drill holes in the piping for assembly. Also need these rubber hangers that won't bust if you shoot them (as compared to a metal chain)
http://www.shootsteel.com/emt-gong-stand-kit/

rubber chain:
http://www.shootsteel.com/rubber-hanger-chain-length-8/

Shootsteel just had a 22% off coupon for labor day weekend. But they usually have sales/coupons almost every other week it seems.

Last edited:
Ive had good luck buying from shootingtargets7 in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking a few gong style circle steel targets.
Do you buy online? Make your own? Someone here makes and sells them?
seems like AR500 steel is the hot set up and the targets themselves can be found very cheap on various websites. It's the stands that are kind of pricy. I guess I can put some effort and make my own stand if I really wanted to.
Also what thickness steel do I want for 223 and/or 308?

go to yard sales and get some old pots and pans..work great and real cheap...

I recently picked up some steel targets, does anyone have some good safety tips for using them? Should I avoid certain bullet types like FMJ?

If you slightly angle them top forward, Ten yards is the min distance before you'll start catching pcs. . FMJ fine. Don't use steel tip like m855 that close, 20 yds or so for those.

This weekend I was shooting 10 yards FMJ .40 at a 3/8 plate hanging from chain. Got a nice bite in the shin, never happened before at that distance. Startled me for a second. Didn't leave a mark though. IPSC will shoot 7 yards minimum, I'm sure they get splashed quite often.

We have been developing a mount with Stu @ Cloverleaf Firearms Group that bolts the steel on at a 10* angle because of this. Our original mount was flat faced and during a class he had a few people catch fragments from 9mm, one suffered a decent cut on their leg. Since the new mounts no issues.

Back
Top Bottom