Steel target sizes?

For those that have steel targets, or shoot them with any kind of regularity, what size do you find works best?

I'm looking at getting some in the 5" and 8" range (3/8" AR550 from shootsteel.com). Just a bit concerned that the 5" targets might be a bit on the small side. Most of the time I'll be shooting pistol calibers (at safe distances). But I do think I'll use my rifle calibers as well (223/5.56, 300 blk and 308 Win). With the target cost difference of almost double when going form the 5" ($28.32) to the 8" ($53.10) I need to be sure which is going to work for the longer term.

My current plan is to get four 5" and two 8" along with the t-post hanging hardware for all. Not cheap to get the full setup (for six targets) but I figure that would be a good starting point. It will let me set things up for different drills as needed. Plus I could always get different target shapes/sizes to change out what I have on one. Or add more later.

Figured I'll probably make the purchase sometime next week. So post up your experiences and help me to decide. Chances are, over time, I'll add more target types and sizes. This is just my 'starter setup'.
If just for plinking I think your starter kit will do well.
If your looking to play in specific games regulated by rules then buy those target.
98% of the shooting I do is at a 6moa black bulls eye so my steel is sized acordingly.
6” at 100 12” at 200
Then for closer in 3” at 50 1.5” at 25
I mostly shoot 22lr inside 100 yards
Pistol I just use the 6” plates out to as far as I want to drag them.

I have a friend with a plasma cutter. Maybe I'll see if I can get him to cut some targets from the AR400 plate. Could also make some shields for the t-posts I'll be using to hold the targets.

Changed the targets in my cart to just four of the 8" diameter ones. I can always add smaller, or larger, ones later. As well as different shapes.
I have a flame cutting table in Lawrence if anyone needs something banged out. Welders and a good supply of barstock, angle iron etc.
Isn't it recommended/preferred to use water jet since the heat affected zone can lose its hardness? (Happy to be wrong, just trying to save a costly error)

@TrashcanDan

Isn't it recommended/preferred to use water jet since the heat affected zone can lose its hardness? (Happy to be wrong, just trying to save a costly error)

@TrashcanDan
Flame cutting will definitely alter/ ruin the heat treatment near the cut path. Depending on thickness, size of the piece, amount of cutouts, it could be just the edge.

I have some 1/4" AR hanging around, I'll do a test cut and do a Rockwell on the edge, interested to see how much things change on a blank with no id's. Plates that thin with multiple holes get glowing hot sometimes.

The plates could always be re treated after the cut, I have access to that equipment as well, damn, this thread has me thinking about work on a day off.

Looking for .22lr steel targets that can be set into the ground on an upward sloping back yard.
Your best bet might be just to get a rimfire dueling tree for about $200-$250. You can shoot at those all day long.
It was one of my best purchases during covid.

This is what we typically setup when we go to the range. We like to have an assortment laid out.. it’s so gratifying hearing that ding!!! Only drawback is run out of ammo pretty quick.. 😂
what kind of stand for there Silhouette?

what kind of stand for there Silhouette?
Those were originally from Arntzen Targets, But he retired and now Made Targets sells them….

Figured I'd post here instead of a new topic. Looking at the "triple tap" at spartan armor.
Anyone have any experience or insight? A range I go to has a hostage one that's fun at the rifle range but I want something I can bring to my other range for pistol and rifle. Seems to expensive and says it's missing the angle iron which I assume is for the base?

check with the range ruleset if they allow your own steel there, as most do not.
I know Springfield sportsman in Monson I can bring my own to the pistol pits but yes I should check on the rifle. The long range rifle has permanent ones at 300 and 400 which is nice.

I know Springfield sportsman in Monson I can bring my own to the pistol pits but yes I should check on the rifle. The long range rifle has permanent ones at 300 and 400 which is nice.
most ranges forbid any custom placed customer targets that can cause a ricochet. but, who knows. check it for sure.

most ranges forbid any custom placed customer targets that can cause a ricochet. but, who knows. check it for sure.
The range in Monson is great which is why I maintain my membership even though I joined pioneer valley 5 minutes from my house. The personal pistol pits are awesome and I see people bring all sorts of crazy steel setups and the "long range" rifle range goes out a little over 400 and is set up well.

Back
Top Bottom