Steel Shooting on the South Shore??

There are NO provisions for shooting steel or any interactive targets at my South Shore club. Other than paper there are 100 and 200 hundred yard gongs but that's it. So many of the shows I watch on the idiot box lead me believe I am missing something. It would be great to shoot some poppers and such so I'm thinking it's due to liability issues. Are there any clubs in south eastern Ma that shoot steel or bowling pins or any kind of interactive targets who might let me rapid fire a mag or two? Just curious.... Thanks

No rapid fire...but Old Colony in Pembroke has steel targets set up in their Pistol AND Rifle outdoor ranges.

Can you bring your own steel targets? I make one that is collapsable that you can transport and shoot with most handgun rounds.

IMG_8668.jpg

we're not exactly "South Shore" but I'll throw it out there anyway, Hopkinton Sportsmans has plate racks, dueling trees, and static steel plates for club member use in the pistol bays year round and self-resetting steel on the 100yd rifle range (no steel core ammo please). During USPSA practices you never know what kind of crazy steel will get setup, texas stars, polish plate racks, non-locationally-named swinging plate plate thingy [laugh]

we're not exactly "South Shore" but I'll throw it out there anyway, Hopkinton Sportsmans has plate racks, dueling trees, and static steel plates for club member use in the pistol bays year round and self-resetting steel on the 100yd rifle range (no steel core ammo please). During USPSA practices you never know what kind of crazy steel will get setup, texas stars, polish plate racks, non-locationally-named swinging plate plate thingy [laugh]

Hey I'm going for the orientation at Hopkinton this Saturday! Can't wait to start shooting there...quick question tho.....do you know if a person can bring their own steel target like the picture above and set it up on the range to shoot if they want to?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Taunton lets you bring your own steel... As a matter of fact I plan on makeing my own for the summer. got a line on some good 1/4 steel plates....

Unless you are shooting 22 rimfire only, 1/4 in is a little too thin.

true, but its free.
I am only guessing on the thickness, just currious though,what would you guys recomend for hangun rounds (.40 and 9mm)? I have a feeling the nagant will shoot through anything I can find on the cheap...

3/8" thick mild steel will work just fine for pretty much all center fire handgun rounds up to heavy .44 mag rounds. That is what I use in the swingers I make, and have had no complaints from anyone on this site so far. 38 special, 45 auto, and 38 super frangibles will scrape the paint and that is about it.

true, but its free.
I am only guessing on the thickness, just currious though,what would you guys recomend for hangun rounds (.40 and 9mm)? I have a feeling the nagant will shoot through anything I can find on the cheap...

The least I will shoot is 3/8 AR400 steel. I don't worry about the steel as much as the spatter heading back at me or others. Take a look at AR500 TARGETS

Edit to add their specials page

http://www.ar500-targets.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1822

Thanks to both of you. Chances are I am going to be useing them at some distance so back splatter isnt all that important. Once I get some panels and finalize the hangers I will post a pic or two...

Old Colony is the club I was referring to and all they have are gongs. Swingers, Texas stars, polish plate racks sound like fun. Shooting paper is fine but I sure would like to run a course of steel.
I guess I should read the range rules a bit. Maybe it's NOT strictly prohibited and I can bring my own. That target looks pretty slick Cerberus. What I would really like is a steel silhouette with a five inch swinging plate center mass. Would help if I could remember where I saw that....

Back
Top Bottom