• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Steel Plate Match MVGC Fri Mar 27 @ 7pm

clerk.mvgc

NES Member
Mystic Valley Gun Club in Malden will host a Steel Plate match Friday March 27th at 7pm. Info on can be found on the club's website
http://www.mvgunclub.com/beginners_steel_plate_night.htm

We plan to run 2 stages, one simply several runs at a 5 plate rack. The other will be somewhere between 18 and 22 plates, racks and poppers mixed (idea stolen from MRA, lol)

Cost is $7.00, $5.00 of which will be paid back, divided between class winners via the Lewis system (which gives shooters of all abilities the chance to win their "class"). The remaining $2.00 will pay for plate machine maintenence/replacements.

All safe shooters are welcome, you don't need to be a member of the club. Beginners welcome, feel free to PM any questions

I can't wait for this match... I'll be there for sure. I miss shooting at Mystic Valley as I haven't been there in years.

This is the perfect opportunity for newer shooters looking to get into action shooting. It's a low key low pressure match and is one of the most exciting things you can do with your clothes on. HAHA

SA John are you going to be making the trek? I'm hoping to see you there tomorrow night. I'm driving over an hour and a half to make it so you better be there...

Pete

Pete: The least I can do is stop by and let you kick the crap out of me. I hope to be there.
John

Lugnut: I pretty much only shoot revolvers. Pete doesn't shoot the wheel gun much. Not a fair fight. Of course what he's going to do to me with his glass-sighted .38 Super on plates is going to be ugly. But all is not lost. Maybe if Dave is in a sporting mood, he'll let Pete and me shootoff on one of the Second Chance pin tables: Pete with his Super and me with a .45 Colt Ruger Single-Action. Five tables each for time. No throw aways. All times count. Don't you think it would be interesting to see what a super fast shooter (Pete) could do with his 125 gr .355 bullets @ 1400+ against my 270s at 1125fps? And those from a handgun designed in 1829? I've shot against men using similar guns to Pete's in the past and they all faired poorly, but Pete shoots better than they did. (I've been crushed by Pete in the past shooting plates.) I want to see if Pete can shoot fast AND accurately. As Wyatt Earp said, "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final."

Pete bring ammo suited for a few runs on the pins. Maybe Dave will let us have at it. Won't take long and then you can have your revenge against me on the plate rack where I lack real speed. No million dollar bets - just ragging on each other no matter how it goes.

John

I think the two of you should settle the score... Bet a gun and list me as the beneficiary!

Sound like a good plan?

No bets. Pete's a pal. Think of this as a science experiment in physics: I'm actually curious myself to see what a very good shot with small-bore auto with optics can do on pins against its polar opposite. (my .45 Colt) I once shot a round of regulation Second Chance pins with a 4" .357 magnum revolver loaded to an honest 1457fps and using 125 grain hollow points. Only scored 24 out of 30 and made solid hits on all shots. A clean pin hit dead-center had about an 80% chance of leaving the table. Not bad, but ALL good hits should clear the pins. Bigger, heavier bullets give you a wider margin of error on less than perfect hits. Thus the reason I use the 290-300 power factor. Big recoil, but you'd be amazed at what you can get used to and how quickly you can recover if you practice. If most of Pete's hits are well-centered, he should get 70-80% take offs, and if he can double-tap the less than perfect hits as they skitter around he might do very well. Must say I have not seen anyone yet who could do that five tables in a row and get away with it. (you butcher one table and toss up a 20 second time, or worse, and you are done) I sure can't do it with a sub-caliber gun. Maybe Pete can. I just think it would be wild to watch.

John

No big science project tonight, but you might be amused to learn Pete's unlimited 22 count plate times were the same as my 625 revolver 10 plate times. (two different stages) I really, really hate this kid.

Pete's last time up he had his best run (I think) with many targets falling at once. It sounded like a Sten gun and was something to watch.

John

as one of the n00bs tonight I was glad to be received well and thankful for the instruction/hints by the timers on both stages. Although there were a lot of shooters nobody seemed anxious or in a rush.

Now I know I must do some serious work with my gun...

I was glad I wasn't the only one having trouble with certain targets and when it felt good, it felt really good.

MY only suggestion for the shoot is to put nerf footballs over the target holders - I cranked myself a couple times and watched one gent do it 3 separate times - the last time he did it hurt me to see...

Thanks to the club and Dave and team for getting it all done. I'm not sure when I'll get back but I know I will get back

as one of the n00bs tonight I was glad to be received well and thankful for the instruction/hints by the timers on both stages. Although there were a lot of shooters nobody seemed anxious or in a rush.

Now I know I must do some serious work with my gun...

I was glad I wasn't the only one having trouble with certain targets and when it felt good, it felt really good.

MY only suggestion for the shoot is to put nerf footballs over the target holders - I cranked myself a couple times and watched one gent do it 3 separate times - the last time he did it hurt me to see...

Thanks to the club and Dave and team for getting it all done. I'm not sure when I'll get back but I know I will get back

That would be me and, believe me when I tell you, that last time hurt me more than it did you.

All in all, it was a great match and I'm glad to see new blood coming to these events. Even happier to hear that you enjoyed yourself.

New blood and some of your old blood, William. I witnessed one of your scalpings. Had to turn away.

John

I wacked my head pretty good once last night on the carrier as well. HAHA It was def. a great time shooting and a better time shooting the Shiznit with everyone. I'm looking forward to next months steel match. SA John, I'll just borrow John Sardinas pin gun and put a whopping on you on a pin table... HAHA All is good....

Great shooting everyone and I'm glad to see a lot of new shooters. This is the perfect environment for a new shooter to start his or her action shooting career. It's low pressure and lots of fun.

Whitey, if I bet SAJohn last night he would have had to give you 2 of his guns cause I beat him so badly.... HAHAHAHA J/K

That would be me and, believe me when I tell you, that last time hurt me more than it did you.

All in all, it was a great match and I'm glad to see new blood coming to these events. Even happier to hear that you enjoyed yourself.

Oh man... if that was you at the end after sorting the brass that looked PAINFUL. I thought you were going down. Something covering them would make sense. My only injuries were from a ricochet... I thought someone was shooting back at my on one run! One in the forehead and one in the gut. Another reason to alway wear good eye protection! Right Jkelly? [wink]

Thanks to the people that set this up. It was a fun time.

Oh man... if that was you at the end after sorting the brass that looked PAINFUL. I thought you were going down. Something covering them would make sense. My only injuries were from a ricochet... I thought someone was shooting back at my on one run! One in the forehead and one in the gut. Another reason to alway wear good eye protection! Right Jkelly? [wink]

Thanks to the people that set this up. It was a fun time.

That was me.

It actually looked worse than it was, it's a good thing I've got a thick skull.
The one that hurt the most was when I drove the silhouette pins in my hat into the top of my head. I gotta get a new hat for indoors.

I shot a personal best on both ends of the second string, so it was a great night for me, even with the head knocks.

Now, Pete. Tell the good folks we were shooting steel plates, not bowling pins last night. That's a different game altogether. But watching you shoot the steel, I'm happy you don't dedicate yourself to pins. You'd be real trouble with the proper gear.

John

John- he's shooting a gun with a comp and a red dot!! How can that compare to a revolver??? LOL I think Pete should round out his fine skills with a wheel gun. Don't you think? [laugh]

Now, Pete. Tell the good folks we were shooting steel plates, not bowling pins last night. That's a different game altogether. But watching you shoot the steel, I'm happy you don't dedicate yourself to pins. You'd be real trouble with the proper gear.

John

Another reason to alway wear good eye protection! Right Jkelly? [wink]
I get very nervous when I don't have full eye coverage, front and side, when shooting. More so when steel is involved. This morning I noticed I had three or four very small cuts from pieces of bullets coming back.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Last edited:
You know I'm not feeling the love over here!!! You want me to shoot a frigen wheel gun??? HAHA OK maybe I'll give it a whirl!!!! I want to do some different things this year and not only shoot open. I want to dabble in Production and limited and steel challenge and maybe even some revolver stuff. Yep, you heard it here. I need to get a trigger job done on my 627 and I'll be good to go. Looks like I'm gonna need another reloading press for sure to handle all these different calibers....

I guess I need to get a single action revolver to go toe to toe with SA John.

John, if I can get someone to let me borrow their pin gun and loads I'll meet you for an ass whopping on the pin table. I will go into it with an unfamiliar gun and load and still clean house. HAHA

At that point you'll then have to show up for a USPSA match.

Pete

Pete: You get a .45 Colt single-action and I'll do all your reloading for you. I think you'd be very good with the thing in short time. Though I'm not sure we could find a period-correct red dot sight that would fit in a gun-slinger holster.

As for borrowing a .45 auto. There must be a million guys on this forum you know with a 1911 who'd let you use their gun. I don't own anything with a comp (or any bicycles with training wheels) or optical sights. Look around - sure you can scrounge something with enough shit hanging off it to please you. Then we can shoot pins at your comfort level. I'll load 5 rounds only and shoot weak hand, best time for 5 tables.

I guess I need to get a single action revolver to go toe to toe with SA John.

Pete

I have one you can borrow [smile]
Ruger Vaqaro (sp) 45 Long Colt, 5" and something barrel.

pure stock, no "speed" modifications done to it at all.
I think hdgun has 45LC dies, or maybe SAJohn can lend you
some of his pin buster boolits.

Anywho, it's available for now, plan on selling it soon.

Pete if you wanna try pins against john, use my para ssp with my pin loads :) (265gr rnfp under 5.8gr of w231). Haven't chrono'd em, but a solid hit makes for a 95%+ chance of clearing that pin off the table :).

Hell, my first time shootin pins I was only like 5 seconds behind john overall. :). The right gear helps a ton!

Jasper: Pete has the guns and the ability. I just don't think shooting pins means that much to him. This I understand - I have no interest in his kind of events either. I should be content that he doesn't shoot pins. If he put the same effort into pin shooting that he applies to whatever it is that he does, he'd beat me badly with any gun I chose.

You, I must say, did frightfully well the other night. If you just slowed down slightly and cut out some miss-hits, you would have beaten me easily. It ain't about speed, it's about not missing a single shot with the proper load. I hope Dave has more pin matches in the future because I think you're the one to watch going forward. I'll never be faster, but you can be.

John

I hope Dave has more pin matches in the future because I think you're the one to watch going forward. I'll never be faster, but you can be.

John

John, you certainly know how to return a compliment! Jasper is an up and comer, don't make his head so big he can't fit thru the door tho!

Bill, sorry about your noggin! I usually put all the carriers downrange but they were interfering with all the plates. I only dropped one of the port tables and sent that carrier downrange, figuring everyone would have to enter/exit thru that port but someone dropped some other tables down.

Thanks to everyone that came out to play, that was a great turnout. Special thanks to Steve and Joe for running the 2nd stage!

I could not make this match as I was out of town this past weekend at another match.

Are there different classes - or just one?

I assume after reading this thread that Pete was the only "Open" shooter.
Sooo...who won Limited?

I could not make this match as I was out of town this past weekend at another match.

Are there different classes - or just one?

I assume after reading this thread that Pete was the only "Open" shooter.
Sooo...who won Limited?

Paul- I think there are only Open and Standard divisions or something like that. All start with 10 in the gun and all mags have 10 rounds. Pete was best of a group of one I think... [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom