• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Steel loads

SA John

Banned
What's the lightest load (speed) out of a 9mm/.38 using 125 grain bullets that will reliably take down steel plates and the biggest poppers? This is assuming the targets have been calibrated for standard 115gr 9mm loads. Was wondering what some of you use at shoots like Walls Of Steel, that kind of thing.

Thanks, John

What's the lightest load (speed) out of a 9mm/.38 using 125 grain bullets that will reliably take down steel plates and the biggest poppers? This is assuming the targets have been calibrated for standard 115gr 9mm loads. Was wondering what some of you use at shoots like Walls Of Steel, that kind of thing.
Thanks, John

John,
I shoot a 124gr 9mm bullet with a power factor of 132. This works well in USPSA and is also a good steel load. I use 4.0 gr Titegroup with a 124 gr Berry or MG RN bullet.

-Cuz.

Thanks, John
John I have no data, but will you be shooting with us at Wallum Lake this Sunday?

Respectfully,
jkelly

jkelly: Had not planned to, but what event is going on at Wallum? It's an 85 mile drive for me.

John

jkelly: Had not planned to, but what event is going on at Wallum? It's an 85 mile drive for me.

John
Wallum is scheduled to have a steel match, but 85 miles on the 4th of July weekend is a bit crazy.

Respectfully,
jkelly

That's not nice John. I am driving to Westfield so your saying I am crazy? No way to treat an old guy [rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

If he won't say it I will...

But, lets be serious, who among us hasn't driven farther than that for a match. I have...

-Cuz.

It's not the distance, it's the 8-mile-per-hour crawl down the Mass Pike coming home. 85 miles turns into 4 hours waving at kids in the back of SUVs. (some even give you the finger)

John

If he won't say it I will...

But, lets be serious, who among us hasn't driven farther than that for a match. I have...-Cuz.
I have too, but not on the 4th of July weekend.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Thanks, John

I've found that the 147gr bullets PF'd at 137 take down steel better than all of them. Seen too many poppers not go down to 115 or 124/5 bullets.

My load is

147gr Frontier Plated CMJ
3.9gr/Unique
PF 137.

Using 3.7gr/N320 works the same too.

Back
Top Bottom