steel-framed S&W 1911

No, not stainless. carbon steel. I know they've existed, and I know that I want one. The question is where do I find it? Are there model names anyone can help me out with? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Virtually 100% sure they're NOT 'mild steel' but carbon steel. Why would you want one made from an inferior steel anyway?

steel 1911? find a norinco. the Chinese built them with reclaimed rail road track. mine weights about 14 lbs. [laugh]

steel 1911? find a norinco. the Chinese built them with reclaimed rail road track. mine weights about 14 lbs. [laugh]

Railroad tracks are also carbon steel... [smile] Not as high a carbon as other alloys, but far better than mild steel.

Next thing the OP will want a knife [blade] made from mild steel. [rofl2]

I'm sorry, you are 100% correct - I meant "carbon steel". Editing OP now...

You can find them at various places... I've seen them on Brownell's, MidwayUSA, and other vendor sites... Or you could go to your LGS and ask them to get you one... Or go to a gunsmith and have him get you the one you want. These are not crazy rare items after all.

BTW, they will need to go thru a FFL since they're the serialized part of the pistol.

STI or Caspian from Brownells.

Yup... Plenty of frame options out there.

My Magnum Research (Desert Eagle) 1911C has a carbon steel frame (and slide)... It comes in a stainless version too.

Personally, if you can't find what you want from one 1911 manufacturer, there are others that will have the combination of features you do want. I really like/love my 1911C and plan to get a full sized version as soon as possible (plan for this year).

Just as a point of clarification, I am well aware of the many different brands of carbon steel framed 1911s and frame suppliers. I'm specifically looking for a Smith and Wesson 1911 made of carbon steel - My dad had one some time ago and I'm trying to replicate it with a nice blued finish. He has no idea what model it was - "What do you mean 'model', it was a 1911" - I'm having trouble finding info on any steel 1911 from S&W aside from the "rolling thunder" model.

Back
Top Bottom