Steel Challenge (SCSA) @ New Bedford 3/24/2013

What: Steel Challenge (SCSA) - 5 stages
Where: Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford (Welcome to the Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford) in Dartmouth, MA
When: Sunday, March 24, 2013
Time: 9:30am start (registration begins at 9am; no pre-registration prior to the match)
Match fee: $15 (Juniors $10)

The planned stages are:
-----------------------------
Accelerator
Roundabout
New Bedford Five
Smoke & Hope
Pendulum

Additional details:
----------------------
Only one entry per shooter, no multiple entries.

Steel Challenge info can be found here: Steel Challenge Shooting Association Home Page - US Practical Shooting Assocation

Info and directions to the club are here: RGNB - Directions

Many, MANY different divisions to choose from:
Center Fire - Open
Center Fire - Iron Sights
Center Fire - Production
Revolver - Open
Revolver - Iron Sights
Revolver - Cowboy Single Action
Rimfire Pistol - Open
Rimfire Pistol - Iron Sights
Rimfire Rifle - Open
Rimfire Rifle - Iron Sights
Pistol Caliber Carbine - Open
Pistol Caliber Carbine - Iron Sights

Minimum caliber for Center Fire divisions is 9x19 / .38 Special. Rimfire division must be .22LR only. No armor piercing or tracer ammo allowed.

Rimfire pistol, Rimfire rifle and Pistol Caliber Carbine start from the low-ready. All other divisions start from a holster. If you don’t have a holster, you can still play, you will just be assessed a small time penalty per run to make up for it.

Steel Challenge is lots of fun, involves very little or no movement, great for new shooters and kids (as long as they are safe and have good gun handling skills - parent or guardian must be present). Shooters of all skill levels will enjoy this sport, from the most basic novice to the most experienced grand masters. New shooters welcome, as are spectators. Everyone on the range must wear eye and ear protection at ALL TIMES.

The match runs with a COLD RANGE: All firearms will be kept UNLOADED except on the firing line under the direct supervision of a Match Officials.

Gun handling at Safe tables only (can NOT handle ammo at the safe tables) and must be brought to the firing line unloaded and in a holster or case (for rifles, must be muzzle up with empty chamber flag installed)

Eye and ear protection is required for all shooters and spectators.

Holsters: In general, holsters shall be mounted in the general vicinity of the waist, must cover the trigger, and must safely hold/retain the gun.

Each competitor is expected to come to the firing line ready to shoot, with an appropriate amount of ammunition in an appropriate number of magazines or speed-loaders or other loading devices.

Any standard plate which has not been hit before the stop plate will count as a Miss. Each Miss on a standard plate will result in a 3 (three) second penalty, added to the shooter’s time for that string.

If the stop plate is not hit, the score for that string is 30 seconds.

New shooters welcome. If you've not participated in an action shooting event in the past, please ask lots of questions along the way. We want you to have a safe and enjoyable time.

What is an appropriate number of mags & ammo for all the stages?
How big of a turnout do you guys usually get?

What is an appropriate number of mags & ammo for all the stages?
How big of a turnout do you guys usually get?

125 rounds minimum, that's if you never miss! I'd say 200 rounds to be safe. You should come to the line with 5 loaded magazines. If you are short, ask around for somebody shooting the same gun to borrow more magazines, or have somebody ready to help with loading them up between strings.

ETA:
As for the turnout, the January match had 54 competitors.

January was my first one. A whole lot of fun and all the people I met were cool too. Bummed I can't make this one:/

What is their policy on pre ban hi caps? I don't have 5 mags for my 92fs but I do have a 30 rounder. and a couple 10rd. mags. Also I looked over the site and couldn't find any descriptions of the events...

We don't care how many rounds your mags hold but putting more than 10 in one will have an impact on your division. The first post includes a link to the Steel Challenge site, which should answer your questions. If you'd like to know anything specific feel free to ask.

Last edited:
We don't care how many rounds your mags hold but putting more than 10 in one will have an impact on your division. The first post includes a link to the Steve Challenge site, which should answer your questions. If you'd like to know anything specific feel free to ask.

If you need more than 10 rounds per string.... [smile]

If you need more than 10 rounds per string.... [smile]

I know nothing about the events. for all i know there are 50 targets per string. why else would you need 5 mags... I looked around on the SC site and couldn't find any descriptions of the individual events listed in the OP so I have no idea what each one consists of...

I know nothing about the events. for all i know there are 50 targets per string. why else would you need 5 mags... I looked around on the SC site and couldn't find any descriptions of the individual events listed in the OP so I have no idea what each one consists of...

If you go to the SC site and click on "rules" you can scroll down to the stage layouts. Each one has 5 targets, and you get 5 runs on each with your worst run tossed. The suggestion to bring 5 mags is to keep the match flowing smoothly. Feel free to come with 3 mags, but plan on making friends with someone on your squad and ask them to reload two for you.

Last edited:
I don't understand why using more than ten rounds in a mag should affect your division. This gives you no advantage, but does allow a competitor with a limited amount of hi caps to complete a stage without stopping to reload his (or her) mags.

The only possible advantage I can see is extra weight in the pistol to dampen recoil. With light steel loads this should not be necessary and a heavy gun might actually be a disadvantage in a speed shoot. I'm not trying to start an argument, I just don't understand this restriction.

I made a Flickr Album of the better pictures I took, SCSA NB March 24, 2013 - a set on Flickr

If anyone wants any more pictures of them, send me a PM, I have quite a few.

8587077246_05c52b2799.jpg

8587112918_3490336076.jpg

Was glad to see more shooters out there useing SIGs.
shot like crap today because I just got over the flu. Next time... :)
for those who asked about my home casted 45s check out my you tube to see the process.
link YouTube
and I will be later on posting the videos I took of today's match.
- Dave

Last edited:
Jeremy,

It was great to have you guys/gal on the squad, as always. Dave Bold's nomination papers (if that's the voting you were asking about) will be at our Harvard Action Shooters Autism Fundraiser Match in April. Just remember to bring your USPSA membership number.

And while I'm on here, Dougie-Boy (the other RO on our squad), didn't believe my 1.88 run on Accelerator and made me do a re-shoot. But Selesky gets a 1.88 on Roundabout??? His counts and mine didn't????? That's a Dandini time, right there. I'm hurt, I tell you, hurt. [rofl]

Thanks, New Bedford, for a great match and wonderful weather. And once again, we all went home with the same number of holes we came with! [smile]

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
:cool:

Last edited:
And while I'm on here, Dougie-Boy (the other RO on our squad), didn't believe my 1.88 run on Accelerator and made me do a re-shoot. But Selesky gets a 1.88 on Roundabout??? His counts and mine didn't????? That's a Dandini time, right there. I'm hurt, I tell you, hurt. [rofl]
It might have been the $20 I donated to the RO retirement fund...

And did I mention that the spring in the trigger I installed in your gun is defective, and shouldn't last more than another month? [smile]

Back
Top Bottom