Steel Challenge @ New Bedford - Sunday 12/12

Thanks to a grant from the NRA Foundation, The Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford started hosting Steel Challenge matches in 2010. We will have our second ever Steel Challenge match on December 12, 2010, expected to be 5 stages. You will need a minimum of 125 per entry (you should bring 200 per). Registration open until 9:25am, shooting starts at 9:30am.

Initial entry: $15
Re-entry: $10 for second gun

You can enter up to two times if you like, but you can enter in specific division only once. No armor piercing ammo allowed! You must register for all divisions before the match starts. Second entries will be shot after the completion of the first entries.

Steel Challenge info can be found here: http://steelchallenge.com/

Info and directions to the club are here: http://www.rodgun-nb.org/directions.htm

Many, MANY different divisions to choose from:
Open
Limited
Stock Service Pistol
Enhanced Service Pistol
Custom Defensive Pistol
Revolver - Iron
Revolver - Optic
Single Action Revolver
Rimfire Pistol - Optic
Rimfire Pistol - Iron
Rimfire Rifle - Optic
Rimfire Rifle - Iron
Pistol Caliber Carbine-Optic
Pistol Caliber Carbine-Iron

Rimfire pistol, Rimfire rifle and Pistol Caliber Carbine start from the low-ready. All other divisions start from a holster. If you don’t have a holster, you can still play, you will just be assessed a small time penalty (1 second per run) to make up for it.

Steel Challenge is lots of fun, involves very little or no movement, great for kids (as long as they are safe and have good gun handling skills - parent or guardian must be present). Shooters of all skill levels will enjoy this sport, from the most basic novice to the most experienced grand masters. New shooters welcome, as are spectators. Everyone on the range must wear eye and ear protection at ALL TIMES.

I'm very bummed that I'm going to miss this. [sad2]

For anyone out there that has thought about giving competitive shooting a try, this is a perfect start. If you're already an active shooter, SC is a great way to introduce your spouse, kids, and/or friends.

Is this draw from holster? Mag carriers needed? Sounds interesting.

-Mike

If you're entering the Rimfire pistol, Rimfire rifle or Pistol Caliber Carbine divisions, they start from the low-ready. All other divisions start from a holster. If you don’t have a holster, you can still play, you will start from the low-ready and just be assessed a small time penalty (1 second per run). Each string has a max time limit of 30 seconds. Most people, if they need to do a reload on a string, don't bother because that string will likely be their worst and will be dropped (we take the best 4 out of 5 runs per stage). But you can. And it really helps things move along if you have several reloads (extra mags or speedloaders) ready to go when you're on the line. But it's not the end of the world if you do not have the extra reloads ready to go.

As far as reloads - in my opinion you should always do the reload unless it's your last run and you don't need to.
You could have a mental breakdown or equipment failure on your next run...

I think what Dave was trying to say is if you know you have to reload (ie you're shooting a 6-shot revo & you've already taken 2 make ups) skip a plate and go for the stop plate. For most people taking the 3-sec penalty is quicker than the reload and taking another shot. Dave taught me that one at the last SC.

Hi folks,
With the bad weather upon us, the collective decision has been made to cancel this match. Sorry for the inconvenience. By cancelling now, we hope to get the word out. Please let your friends and shooting buddies know. The club's website has been updated as well as the North East section website.

Thank you all for your support throughout the year, and see you next spring!

Not for nothing, but Im kind of glad. My mother is in the hospital and not doing too well, So in a way Im glad I dont have to miss this... even though a little stress shooting would be great right about now..

Back
Top Bottom